Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation Please

by singh.p.vivek » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:36 am
My detailed profile is as follows :

Name : Vivek Pratap Singh
Nationality : Indian
GMAT : 700 ( Planning to retake in coming months)
Application Cycle : Planning to apply for 2015 admissions.

Undergrad :->2010 -> Bachelors in Technology ( Computer Science) from a regional engineering college ( Falls under top 15 in India) with 71 % marks. University don't grant GPA, but highest score in my university was 80%.

-> Chairman for IEEE and CSI in successive years .
-> Headed Student placement committee.

Work Experience

2010-2012 :

Worked with Accenture as software engineer.
2 promotions in 2 years, awarded best rating one can achieve in Accenture.
Lead the CSR initiative.
Corporate team player for table tennis & badminton.
Worked over domestic and international clients - Sales, Planning & Implementation.

2012- till date

Working with Ernst & Young as Consultant.
Current role as Project Manager for largest FMCG firm.
Leading a team of 15+ people.
Current roles involves Sales, Design & Implementation.
Member of corporate team for table tennis & Badminton.
Member of CSR initiative.
In line for 4th promotion in 4th year.

Additionally my family runs an NGO & currently employs 100+ people, take sabbaticals and contribute as much as I can.

Post MBA Goals -> Short Team : Strategy consulting firm in Social enterprises domain.
Long Term -> Join my family NGO & take it global.

Inclination Towards Colleges -> Harvard, Hass, Yale, Kellogg & Booth .(Stretch)
Tuck, Duke & Darden

Please evaluate my profile and suggest scope of improvements, ideal colleges & how should I go about applying for programs starting in 2015.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:34 am
Hi Vivek,

Thank you for your post!

Overall, there are some very positive aspects to your candidacy. While your GMAT score would be competitive, I understand your interest in retaking it; the bar tends to be a bit higher since many MBA applicants come from an engineering background in India and score very well on the GMAT. In regards to your work experience, your role as a consultant will help you counterbalance other stereotypes associated with an engineering background. Specifically, your work should allow you to showcase your strong communication and teamwork skills. It's also a plus that you have worked for brand name firms; the adcom will be familiar with Accenture's and EY's reputation and will view your performance more favorably than that of an applicant who achieved similar results at a more obscure firm. Consultants, however, stereotypically lack direct management experience. Hence, you will want to emphasize this aspect of your career history, e.g. managing a team of 15 people. Be sure to keep an eye toward quantifying your achievements and impact.

Your casual interests in badminton and table tennis should help show your social nature, but, ideally, you would be able to discuss some community leadership, too. Given your long-term goals, I would recommend beefing up your leadership involvement with your family's business as much as possible. Not only would this lend depth to your application and help you stand out in admissions, but also reinforce your commitment to your goals. Speaking of your goals, you are off to a good start here, but you will want to go a step further by naming some target firms and outlining your anticipated responsibilities. You will also want to expand on the impact you hope to have.

You have a nice list of schools under consideration; while each would meet your needs, Yale SoM has strong placement stats in social entrepreneurship. You will, however, want to consider what you hope to gain from an MBA program (the "why MBA" aspect of the admissions process will be vital across the board) and other factors, such as on-campus experience and where you hope to settle after graduation. If you would like to discuss your school choice further or how you can best prepare your MBA applications further, please contact us at [email protected]. For further insights, you may also consider attending one of our workshops: https://www.clearadmit.com/registration- ... -workshop/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.