Profile Evaluation- Please!!!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation- Please!!!

by jegadhish90 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:08 pm
Hi everyone,

I am new to BEAT the GMAT and this is my first post here, I am planning to apply for 2017 intake.

Profile: Indian- Male; Engineer/24

GMAT: Right now attaining 690-710 in Kaplan practice tests and I am aiming to take the test after 6 months with an aim of 740+.

Education:

Undergraduate : Chemical Engineering from Anna University (One among the top 10 in India)
GPA: 7.6/10 (Top 15% in my class)

Masters in Engineering: Dual Masters in Chemical & Environmental Engineering from University of Toronto
GPA: 3.79/4

Work Experience:

1)Completed 2 four month summer Internships related to Chemical Engineering while doing my Undergrad out of which one was for India's highest ranked fortune 500 Petroleum company.

2) Completed a 6 month internship (after completing my masters) in a Oil and Gas firm in UAE.

3) Now working in Canada as a Junior Chemical Engineer for a mid-sized company.

Hoping to have 3 years of full-time work experience by the time of applying to B-Schools

Extra Curricular Achievements:

Undergrad:

Won 1st place out of 600+ teams which participated an International Engineering Event for designing a Solar Water Purifier.
Won Prizes in many notable national level Engineering competition.

Head of Organizing committee of Rotaract club:
Two notable achievements are

i)Initiated and organized two blood donation camps in association with the Cancer Institute of Madras which had 340+ blood donors

ii)Organized a Reclaim our Beaches campaign in to create awareness about the endangered Olive Ridley turtles were nearly 220+ people participated from all over the city

Worked with different NGO's to educate children in rural areas, Cleaned beaches on International Coastal Clean-up Day, renovated water tanks in schools and temples to provide clean drinking water and many more activities...

Masters:

i) Treasurer of Leaders of Tomorrow(a student club):
Organized monthly fund raising events generating profits from the first month which fetched nearly 900$ on the very first event

Prepared budgets, monitored expenses and income, and organized all documents for internal audit

ii) Executive member in Chemical Engineering Student Association- Lead a team of 15 members to organize a Chemical Engineering Networking Dinner Event

Post MBA:

Short Term: Work as a management consultant for the Top 4 consultancy firms

Long Term : After Gaining significant experience as a management consultant, I might start my own consultancy or aim to work in an Executive position for a FT-500 company.

I know much depends on our Essays and recommendations and I am hoping to work hard on my Essays & get positive reco's from my higher officials.

My Questions:

i) My aim is to apply for Top 20 b-schools. Will that be too ambitious?? Is Top five out of reach??

ii) My Undergrad GPA is bit on the lower side and also a non-IIT student(even though Anna University is on the Feeder Universities list according HARVARD website), whereas my Masters GPA is above average and from a reputable University(Ranked no 1 for Chemical Eng in Canada). Will my Masters GPA mask my UG's GPA or will my UG's GPA be weighed more??

iii)I still have three years to improve my profile, Is there anything specific I have to work on?

Hope you will kindly go through my profile and give your opinion about it.

I will be happy to give some more information based on my profile, if required.

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:55 am
Hi,

Getting in Highly ambitious schools doesn't mean that they are totally out of reach, but you need to work hard on building your profile and compensating low GPA with really strong GMAT. Your profile is robust with solid extra curricular activities, so build on this for the next 2 years. Do some brainstorming on your short term and long term goals, still I feel they are not very clear. Your UG GPA will be taken into consideration so to compensate that you can do some pre MBA programs/certifications, target 700+ GMAT score.

Regards,
Manish
www.general-ed.com
Try https://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool