Profile Evaluation Please.

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation Please.

by raabenb » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:15 am
DELETED
Last edited by raabenb on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:59 am
Hi Raab,

Thanks for your post! You have a great background and are a good candidate for all the schools mentioned. Sounds like you have good management experience at an early age. Don't worry about not working at Goldman Sachs, the IB applicant pool is actually one of the most competitive, so you are actually in better shape than many other candidates.

MIT might be a bit of a stretch, as they are much more quant oriented and tend to favor the banker/finance types. I would actually consider Kellogg, which I believe is a better fit.

You have the right profile - good GMAT/GPA, solid WE, good ECs. Now just focus on your applications and crafting your story, particularly why you want to transition into a management consulting role, and how the MBA will help you achieve this goal.

Something you already know - make sure you apply in the first round. This year is going to be ultra competitive, so getting your applications in early might give you a slight advantage.

Good luck,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by raabenb » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:06 pm
DELETED
Last edited by raabenb on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:40 am
Hi R,
To your questions:

1. Yes, you should try to apply to all of your top picks in R1, provided you don't compromise on quality. Don't rush to get your apps in if you don't feel 110% comfortable with the end product. But stay focused! Many previous clients were aiming for R1, but then got busy with other things and missed their deadlines. Since this year is going to be so competitive, you want every advantage you can get.

2. You are likely competitive for all schools mentioned below. I could go through the pros/cons of each, but you are better off doing your own research and try to understand how each program is different and which would make more sense for you. I would recommend an MBA Admissions book (Montauk or Bouknight), which provide a great summary of the top 25 programs and the MBA admissions process.

3. It feels like everyone is applying to b-school this year ;) So every applicant pool is going to be ultra competitive!

Regards,

NP

by raabenb » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:02 am
DELETED
Last edited by raabenb on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:58 am
Raab,
700 is a great score. I would not worry about taking it over again for a few extra points (not to mention you might go down). Focus on the applications instead.

Good luck!

NP