Profile Evaluation please (740 w advanced degree)

Launched June 1, 2012
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello

I am planning to apply to select schools in R2 this year. Would love to get some insight from you on what I can expect, given my profile:

Profile: Female, Indian, Married.
GMAT: 740 (Q50, V39)

Education:
1. MBA from a top management school in India - Passed in first class -- GPA translates to close to 4.0
2. Engineering undergraduate from a leading engineering college in India -- Passed with distinction - GPA of 4.0. Was awarded scholarships in each year for being in the top 10% of the class.
3. Passed Level 3 of the CFA program -- will be getting Charter soon.

Work Ex:
1. Currently working with an investment banking firm for the last 3 years. Joined here as a manager and was promoted to Associate Vice President in 1.5 years. Have successfully closed 4 transactions across Private Equity, Cross-border M&A and structured finance.Have been rated as the highest performer in the organization.
2. Prior to this, worked in India's largest private sector bank for 2 years. Started out as management trainee in the International Banking domain. I was in-charge of setting up the investment banking desk for our international clients based in the Middle East. Had significant exposure to transactions, networking with private equity investors, analyzing investments of the top fund houses etc.

Plan Ahead:

I have always planned on doing a second MBA. In India, MBAs are typically fresh undergraduates and having worked for 5 years, now I know that the real value-add of an MBA can only be appreciated when one has spent some time working in the industry.

My reason to do a second MBA and to do one now, particularly are linked to that. I believe that I am now in a stage of life professionally, wherein, my takeaways from an MBA program will be immense. I do not wish to change my field of work, as I am absolutely in love with it. I do, however, believe that an international MBA will provide me the platform to work for a varied set of people and in different geographies.

The Catch: I am planning to apply very selectively to schools -- right now, thinking of only INSEAD, Wharton. Do you think I should add HBS and Stanford to the list -- or would it be better to add NYU Stern and Chicago GSB? Since I already have an MBA, it does not make sense for me to spend crazy amounts of money to go to a school which is not up there. SO, for me, it's either the top or status quo. Also, I have a 11 month old baby. I understand the rigors of a business school very well, and I know that a baby and a b-school life is a complicated mixture -- but I also believe in taking a chance and going after what I really want, because more often than not, there are no second chances.

I would like to thank you in advance for reading through this whole thing, and possibly, providing some inputs.

Thanks a ton!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members

by Shawn@StratusPrep » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:59 am
Hi Chiquitita,

You have an impressive professional profile, with a solid GMAT score, and an excellent undergraduate and graduate academic record. Also, you would be an invaluable perspective to the MBA classroom as a woman from an emerging economy.

However, you will still need to convince the top global business schools that you absolutely need a second MBA to realize your full personal and professional potential. You have to explain how an MBA from an international school will teach you new skills (especially with regards to leadership, cross-cultural business, etc.) that you did not learn from your previous MBA in India. Additionally, since you wish to stay in the same field of work, you will need to demonstrate that an MBA is necessary for you to move forward in your career path. To do so, I would spend some time thinking not just about the work you are doing and the work you hope to do but also about the broader positive impact you want to have on the world and developing economies throughout your career. Remember that the top factors for MBA admission at the leading schools are the essays and recommendations so be sure to invest as much into this part of the process as you have invested into your GMAT and academic preparation.

Coming up with such a cohesive and compelling strategy is a challenge that many of our clients at Stratus Prep confront every year before they begin collaborating with us, and my Stratus Prep colleagues and I have successfully helped thousands of applicants navigate these critical steps on the road to a top-tier MBA.

I agree that since you already have one MBA, another one does not make sense unless it is a top school. Considering your career path in investment banking, I recommend adding Columbia (if possible since they do not provide international loan guarantees) and MIT to your list, in addition to Wharton, INSEAD, Stern, and Chicago. While I think you would be competitive at HBS and Stanford and should apply to them as they are the top programs in the world, I am not sure that they make the most sense for you based on your goals, however, between the two, HBS (my alma mater) would be the better fit.

Best of luck,
Shawn
Founder/Director, Stratus Prep
Harvard JD/MBA

[email protected]
212-307-1788
www.stratusprep.com

See more Stratus Prep reviews.