Profile evaluation-MS/MBA Marketing

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation-MS/MBA Marketing

by NM » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:59 am
Hi friends,

I am really confused and need assistance in choosing the best course and college in New York/New Jersey.

I have a score of 610 in my GMAT .Quants 45 Verbal 29.TOEFL 112.
I come with an experience of 4.8 years in real estate ,Female candidate, serving as Manager -Sales in one of the top listed company in real estate in India .I have an experience in Marketing and Sales .
I hold a degree in B.Sc Biotechnology(3years) and a diploma degree in MBA(2years)in Marketing .I have a GPA of 3.5.

Will be great if one can suggest the course(MS/MBA) I can pursue to enhance my profile. I am looking for a full time course(MBA/MS) and I have interest in learning more about Marketing -International Business ,PR and Communications . I am looking at the Spring intake'16.
Please assist.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by Admit1MBA » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:03 am
Hi there,
I would be happy to help you with selecting schools.
The GMAT of 610 is going to be an issues, especially if you are targeting top 20 schools. If you are flexible in terms of the rankings I believe that more opportunities will open up for you.

In New York, you should look at Hofstra, Baruch, Fordham, and University of Rochester, to name a few. You can also look at NYU, Columbia and Cornell if you have been promoted in your company and can secure rec letters from senior people. I would recommend re-taking the GMAT if you think you can improve on it, it will help a lot.

In New Jersey, you should check out Rutgers.
Best,
Yael, Admit1MBA
www.admit1mba.com

If my feedback was helpful please press the Thank button.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:21 pm
NM,

A few more perspectives beyond the school choice question you have raised:
  1. Real estate is not a very commonly represented sector in MBA classrooms. The reasons can be several a big one among them being post-MBA employability more so for an international candidate in the sector. You haven't mentioned your career plans after that. That will be an important consideration at most places you apply to and even for your own benefit.
  2. The 610 score is an obvious sore point. Read here for why that is the case and what could be your choices for low GMAT score (not necessarily in your target area though)
  3. Finally, why the constraint? If there is a personal reason to it, I understand. But professionally speaking, not necessarily the most prudent thing to do
Hope this sparks a few more thoughts

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:17 pm
As others have stated the 610 will be an issue. Definitely retake it to try to be competitive at NYU Stern and Columbia.

Switching gears you might be instead be interested in Columbia's Masters in Strategic Communications or NYU's M.S. in Integrated Marketing or NYU's M.S. in Public Relations and Corporate Communications. I am pretty sure the GMAT (or GRE) is not required for admission.

Best of luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.