Profile Evaluation - just bombed my GMAT

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation - just bombed my GMAT

by gmatIU » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:48 am
Just got back from taking the GMAT for the first time and am feeling fairly defeated but I only studied for 2 and a half weeks so i probably deserve the score i got! Anyways please evaluate my profile for acceptance into the MBA program I want!

I am wanting to get accepted into IU's Kelley direct MBA (Online MBA program) or Florida's Online MBA.

24 y/o
Male
White
Work: Leadership Development Program in a fortune top 10 company
Work Length: 1 year full time, 3 internships in undergrad
Undergrad GPA: 3.2
Concentration: Business Administration, Operations Management, Information systems
GMAT: 520
Company paying for entire degree.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:50 am
gmatIU wrote:Just got back from taking the GMAT for the first time and am feeling fairly defeated but I only studied for 2 and a half weeks so i probably deserve the score i got! Anyways please evaluate my profile for acceptance into the MBA program I want!

I am wanting to get accepted into IU's Kelley direct MBA (Online MBA program) or Florida's Online MBA.

24 y/o
Male
White
Concentration: Business Administration, Operations Management, Information systems
Hi,

You need close to 3 months to prepare for the GMAT. The lack of time devoted might have caused the score dip.
What were your scores in the mock CATs? Are you planning to re appear for the GMAT?
If yes, you can opt for our score guarantee.

You need to build the concepts/fundamentals before you jump in solving the problems. You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs.

In addition to the preparatory material, buy the Official Guides(both the Official Guide and the Verbal Review), Question Pack 1 and the 4 official mock CATs. They should be an indispensable part of your preparation.

You need close to 3 months to prepare well for the GMAT.

1. Understand the concepts and fundamentals before jumping into problem solving
2. Solve full length CATs including AWA and IR. You can get two free GMAT Prep mock CATs and can purchase two more from mba.com
3. Make sure you solve the official questions from the Official Guide

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:11 pm
Thanks for sharing.

You would need to study longer than 2 and a half weeks, so strongly consider retaking as you have a good chance of doing substantially better. This would improve your chances, showing your academic potential, ability to work hard, and commitment to this pursuit.

All the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:54 am
gmatIU wrote:Just got back from taking the GMAT for the first time and am feeling fairly defeated but I only studied for 2 and a half weeks so i probably deserve the score i got! Anyways please evaluate my profile for acceptance into the MBA program I want!

24 y/o
Male
White
I know it is tempting to just slide into the MBA program especially when your company is paying for it. But I will say that if you are willing to put in just a bit more time, you may find that your GMAT score is much higher and that could open the doors to other online MBA programs- Kelley is certainly a good program but I just want to caution you that sometimes when you try to take a shortcut- like not studying for GMAT, it can come back to bite you later. For example- let's say you want to do consulting post MBA and that after working for your company to pay them back that you want to consider consulting firms. The first question they may ask is that GMAT score, so maybe you do want to put in the extra effort toget that score up a bit because your chances of getting hired in consulting with a 520 GMAT is very low. So keep that in mind and best of luck to you!