Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by AdmitPitch » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:16 am
Dear Pre2012:

Admit Pitch's take on your profile:

a) academics: Very strong - this definetly is a big plus. If you can work hard to get a decent GMAT (within the class average), you will clear the academic hurdle
b) work ex: not many people apply from nationalized banks, which help you to stand out. The fact that you have a series of achievements in the work is an good talking point during the application & interview process
c) extra curriculars: this is diverse and interesting - which presents an well rounded personality - which can open up good discussion points in additional essays and rest of application

However, other key areas which are important are: career goals, why ISB, why MBA now which will present impressive picture of you.

AdmitPitch.com has a team of MBA graduates from top 30 programs in the US. We are based out of Bangalore. We have a deep understanding of Indian candidates with IT background who apply to B-schools. Feel free to reach us at [email protected].
pre2012 wrote:Hi Folks,

My Profile:
10th: 86%
12th: 83.4%
B.Tech (Electronics and Communication): 8.4/10 GPA, Amity University.
Advance Diploma in Banking Technology: 78% (Secured second position), PNBIIT

Work ex: Punjab National Bank, Middle Management Grade, Scale-II, Manager (Information and Technology), have completed 3 years in June'2014.

Certified Associate of India Institute of Bankers (CAIIB) and a Sun Certified Java Associate. Among the youngest to be promoted to MMG Scale II (Manager Level).

I have an additional experience of 2 years in Teaching, where in I was the Assistant Education System Co-coordinator, I was responsible for applying to various Quality related awards, Training and assessment of teachers and adherence to Quality Matrix (the school I worked with was Quality Council of India Accredited) and many other miscellaneous roles.

My total (paid) work ex will be 5 years in June 2014.

Out of these 5 years, 2 years exp in Education and Training and remaining 3 years in Banking.

I am now working with PNB, which is the second largest Public Sector Bank in India. I am working with the Recovery Division at Head Office level (a division that deals with the Non Performing Assets of the Bank as a whole). Here I have been directly involved in the setting up of two Portals (1. Debt Recovery Tribunal, 2. Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest Act Portal (SARFAESI Act)). This was done with an intent of being able to monitor the course of recovery in NPA accounts where SARFAESi Actions have been initiated or where matter has been taken to Debt Recovery Tribunal. Now I am single handedly handling both these Portals at all India level. This initiative has not yet been implemented in any other Bank.

I am also working on a project of PNB in collaboration with Bostons Consultancy Group, I am the window person interacting with BCG of this Project.

Extra curricular:
I am a Junior Diploma Holder in Kathak Dance from Prayag Sangeet Samiti.
Participated and represented school in CBSE Basket Ball Cluster meet.
Have actively participated in Co-curricular activities such as dance competitions, debates, extempore speeches etc. during school and college days.

I am currently preparing for GMAT. Please let me know my chances and score that I need.
Admit Pitch,
MBA Admission Consultants
https://www.admitpitch.com/
US | UK | China | India
Schedule a 60 minute free assessment, send your resume at [email protected]
We do offer flexi-payment options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Sundar Rajan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:45 pm
Hi guys, still awaiting a reply on my profile.

I have never written GMAT before, but plan to write it post November after CAT. Please tell me how much I should aim for and when I should apply. I also plan to opt for the early entry option.

2010- 10th - 83.4%
2012 - 12th - 84.4%

Graduation from PES Institute of Technology, bangalore in Electrical Engg. - 8.17 gpa. Not sure how famous the college is outside Bangalore, but its a very renowned one here. Also, shed light on the same.

Just started working in KPMG and pretty sure it's the best part of my profile. I do audit supports and attestations.

Lot of extra curricular activities in school, college and outside. Can definitely make them count.

Also, interned in Siemens and did final year project in a start up based in Bangalore.

Please advise me how to go about to make my application strong for the early entry option as I want the two year experience to my name.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by AdmitPitch » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:56 pm
Hi Sundar:

The profile is broadly looked at three aspects: intellectual ability (academic % + GMAT), work experience and extra-curricular aspects.

On the academics your scores are good and PES is a well known college. Regarding GMAT you need to score around 700 to be competitive, hence you need to aim for that. On work experience good to know you are working for a leading firm, what i would like to further is the quality of work (impact on client's business, accolades, accomplishments leading to promotions). Third aspect extra-curricular details are not mentioned clearly. If you can share details, it would help us to share some light.

In addition to the above, What is important is to admissions process is your pitch (story why schools should look at your profile), what makes you unique - career plan, leadership/team skills, why MBA now, why specific business school?

Admitpitch is a Bangalore based leading MBA consulting firm which provides unbiased views. We are a team of MBAs from top 40 business schools from US and Asia. Feel free to reach out to us for any queries related to work or for profile assessment do email us at [email protected]
Admit Pitch,
US | UK | China | India

GMAT/MBA Expert

by AdmitPitch » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:57 pm
Hi Sundar:

The profile is broadly looked at three aspects: intellectual ability (academic % + GMAT), work experience and extra-curricular aspects.

On the academics your scores are good and PES is a well known college. Regarding GMAT you need to score around 700 to be competitive, hence you need to aim for that. On work experience good to know you are working for a leading firm, what i would like to further is the quality of work (impact on client's business, accolades, accomplishments leading to promotions). Third aspect extra-curricular details are not mentioned clearly. If you can share details, it would help us to share some light.

In addition to the above, What is important is to admissions process is your pitch (story why schools should look at your profile), what makes you unique - career plan, leadership/team skills, why MBA now, why specific business school?

Admitpitch is a Bangalore based leading MBA consulting firm which provides unbiased views. We are a team of MBAs from top 40 business schools from US and Asia. Feel free to reach out to us for any queries related to work or for profile assessment do email us at [email protected]
Admit Pitch,
US | UK | China | India

by sayhi2saurabh » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:01 am
Hello,

I would be extremely thankful if anyone of you could review my profile and let me know what my chances at ISB are.

This is my Profile -

I am a 31 year old ,Indian male working as Sr. Quality Engineer in a leading Fortune 500 US based medical technology Firm in Gurgaon.

GMAT Score : 690 (Quant- 49, Verbal-34,AWA-5.0)

10th - 83%
12th - 72%
B.Tech-Manufacturing Technology-65% from J.S.S Academy Of Technical Education, Noida(Affiliated to Uttar Pradesh Technical University).

Work Experience: Total of 6.5 years of experience.

1st Job: Worked with M/s Satelite Forging Pvt Ltd (A Jay Bharat Maruti Group Co.) as an "Executive" in Quality Assurance since 05 May 2008.(A green field project-Automotive domain )

2nd Job: Worked with M/s Honda Seil Cars India ltd , Greator Noida (U.P) as an "Executive" in Parts Quality Department (Supplier Quality)(Automotive Domain)

3rd Job: Worked with M/s RENAULT NISSAN TECHNOLOGY & BUSINESS CENTER INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED, Kancheepuram Dist, Tamil Nadu as a Senior Engineer in Product Engineering Department.(Automotive Domain)

4th Current Job :Stryker Global Technology Center, Gurgaon , Haryana , as a Senior Quality Engineer.(Fortune 500 medical technology Firm )

Overseas experience of 9 months- USA.
Working on Instrumentation set for Knee surgery (Scorpio NRG Hybrid Instruments).

Extra-curricular - I was the founding member of "Prayoga" the Society of Manufacturing Technology in College . Have conducted home tuition classes and Coaching Classes for class 10th & 12th ,I was involved in event management , publicity, ticket sales, sponsorship activities. Besides this, I was in the publicity committee of a couple of other clubs, took part in voluntary activities.Currently working with the Stryker Women Network Association, a society for the welfare of women.

Was a member of National Cadet Corps(N.C.C.) and attended various camps and a B- certificate holder .Was awarded the Best Cadet Award in the year 2000 in an inter-battalion level competition.

*Hobbies - Playing Football, Follow various European Football leagues, Swimming,playing badminton.

Do these factors make a strong, competitive profile? Do I have the right numbers (GMAT, GPA) otherwise?

Thank you so much for your time and advice

Regards!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by AdmitPitch » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:15 am
Hi Sahyi:

Our take on the profile is:

Your numbers are in the ball park range. GMAT within 20 point range of the class average. GPA in top 20-30% of the class average. Your work experience is where you stand out. Firstly, you are a non-IT profile. You have worked in diverse settings in Automotive and have been involved in interesting areas like green field projects etc. This definetly just excite the admissions committee to know more about you. However the two major concerns are: you have changed 4 jobs in last few years and this has to be rationalized well. Second, you have moved from automotive area to medical which needs a big justification and convincing with good reasoning.

You need to project the clarity on the short term and long term goals while applying to the program. Preference would be given to candidates with finer the details of the career plan sketched out. In addition to GMAT, what is important is to admissions process is your pitch (story why schools should look at your profile), what makes you unique - career plan, leadership/team skills, why MBA now, why specific business school?

Applying to leading business schools is a fairly time consuming effort. It requires efforts to selecting the right schools and developing pitch which helps you stand out from the crowd. You need a consultant who can understand your profile and offer personalized perspective to help you succeed.

Admitpitch is a leading MBA consulting firm which provides unbiased views. We are a team of MBAs from top 40 business schools from US and Asia. Do reach out to us for a free profile assessment or any queries related to MBA admissions, do email us at [email protected]
Admit Pitch,
US | UK | China | India

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by isbmantra.com » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:50 pm
Hi Saurabh!

Your undergrad score and GMAT score may not be very encouraging, but your professional experience and exposure are extremely rich. If you do not plan to retake GMAT, you must develop a very strong set of essays. Leverage your extensive automotive experience to demonstrate strong differentiators. It may not be a very smooth road ahead, but focused effort can get you in. Don't hesitate to target some international schools as well. Your profile will come to your rescue.

All the Best!
'ISBmantra'
[Soon launching 100% Assured Admit for ISB Interview Prep]
sayhi2saurabh wrote:Hello,

I would be extremely thankful if anyone of you could review my profile and let me know what my chances at ISB are.

This is my Profile -

I am a 31 year old ,Indian male working as Sr. Quality Engineer in a leading Fortune 500 US based medical technology Firm in Gurgaon.

GMAT Score : 690 (Quant- 49, Verbal-34,AWA-5.0)

10th - 83%
12th - 72%
B.Tech-Manufacturing Technology-65% from J.S.S Academy Of Technical Education, Noida(Affiliated to Uttar Pradesh Technical University).

Work Experience: Total of 6.5 years of experience.

1st Job: Worked with M/s Satelite Forging Pvt Ltd (A Jay Bharat Maruti Group Co.) as an "Executive" in Quality Assurance since 05 May 2008.(A green field project-Automotive domain )

2nd Job: Worked with M/s Honda Seil Cars India ltd , Greator Noida (U.P) as an "Executive" in Parts Quality Department (Supplier Quality)(Automotive Domain)

3rd Job: Worked with M/s RENAULT NISSAN TECHNOLOGY & BUSINESS CENTER INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED, Kancheepuram Dist, Tamil Nadu as a Senior Engineer in Product Engineering Department.(Automotive Domain)

4th Current Job :Stryker Global Technology Center, Gurgaon , Haryana , as a Senior Quality Engineer.(Fortune 500 medical technology Firm )

Overseas experience of 9 months- USA.
Working on Instrumentation set for Knee surgery (Scorpio NRG Hybrid Instruments).

Extra-curricular - I was the founding member of "Prayoga" the Society of Manufacturing Technology in College . Have conducted home tuition classes and Coaching Classes for class 10th & 12th ,I was involved in event management , publicity, ticket sales, sponsorship activities. Besides this, I was in the publicity committee of a couple of other clubs, took part in voluntary activities.Currently working with the Stryker Women Network Association, a society for the welfare of women.

Was a member of National Cadet Corps(N.C.C.) and attended various camps and a B- certificate holder .Was awarded the Best Cadet Award in the year 2000 in an inter-battalion level competition.

*Hobbies - Playing Football, Follow various European Football leagues, Swimming,playing badminton.

Do these factors make a strong, competitive profile? Do I have the right numbers (GMAT, GPA) otherwise?

Thank you so much for your time and advice

Regards!
'ISBmantra'
www.isbmantra.com
mail to : [email protected]

For international MBA programs, visit www.essaysunday.com - successfully placed students in top schools such as Wharton, Kellogg, Fuqua, Tuck, INSEAD, Oxford etc.

GMAT Score:710

by sanantwar » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:58 am
Hello,

Thank you for your insights. Please find my profile below.

General Information:
Nationality - Indian
Gender - Male
Age - 25

GMAT - 710 (Q48, V40) (1st and only attempt)

Academics:
M.S. Mechanical Engineering - State University of New York, Stony Brook - Class of 2011
CGPA: 3.58 (Completed in 1.5 yrs. with research thesis and one conference paper)

B.E. Mechanical Engineering (sandwich) - University of Pune, India - Class of 2010
GPA: 71.46% (Aggregate of all 4 yrs - 66.19% - Distinction) - First class with Distinction (In the top 15 in the university) - Among the top 10% during all four years.
The sandwich course is a combination of classroom coursework and industry experience. During the 4 yrs of engineering we do classroom coursework for 3 yrs. and work FT for 1 yr. (6 months in Junior year, and 6 months in Senior year).

Work Experience: Total 39 months as of March 31, 2015.
- Ford Motor Company, Michigan, USA (2+ yrs.) - Held two positions;
1. Value management engineer (currently holding) - Lead the cost reduction process. Identify and implement design modifications and manage the cost of components. Create and analyze business cases and assess profitability for these cost reduction items. Led multiple projects resulting in $200k to $500k in terms of savings per year.
2. Design variation engineer - Managed the deliverable's of the different groups internally (Engineering, Clay modelling, etc.) to ensure the new model vehicles are issue free and have a smooth launch.

- Valeo, Michigan, USA (8 months) - Mechanical design engineer - Worked with OEM (Nissan) and suppliers for designing and release of automotive engine cooling components. Manage and negotiate product costs with suppliers.

- Intelligent Product Solutions, New York, USA (14 months) - Mechanical engineering co-op - Worked as a engineering services consultant for Motorola solutions. Worked with the Motorola 'Customer Response Team' to resolve design/functionality issues that the customers face in the field.

- Bosch, India (6 months during senior year) - Mechanical Engineer - Worked in the process planning group to improve the efficiency of the manufacturing processes by introducing new technology and making process design changes. On one of my bigger projects saved INR 1.66 million/year.

- Thermax, India (6 months during junior year) - Mechanical Engineer - Worked in the safety engineering group and implemented safety improving equipment's in the factory.

Extracurricular's:
- Two Patent's for 'Hinge design'.
- District level Basketball player (during high school, under 14).
- Finalist at a national level 'Robotics' competition (during bachelor's). Participated in about 7 competitions.
- Extraordinary effort/performance award from Ford.
- Arranged training sessions on the design tools.
- Trained fresh graduates on the workplace ethics and methods and info session on company products.
- Arranged info sessions whenever I left a job so that the people taking over from me would have less obstacles to deal with.

Target programs:
- ISB-Hyderabad: PGP 2015 intake R2.

Post MBA goal:
- Want to work as Business Development Manager at a technology firm such as Amazon, Microsoft or a similar firm.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by AdmitPitch » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:38 pm
Hi Sagar:

Intellectual potential (academics+GMAT):

As long as your GMAT score is inline with Indian applicant pool. Your academic credentials are impressive - solid engineering college and masters education and you have graduated with flying colors.

Work Experience:

You have solid work experience with leading auto makers and have added value to their core work - this is not regular profile to find. Hence it makes an interesting manufacturing profile for the MBA program. In the rest of the application - resume, essays we can stress on the various unique contributions you have made to the manufacturing processes and the impact on the product and processes.

Additional Info:

Rock-star profile with couple of patents, basket ball player (we need to focus sustained interest even in recent times), active social engagements make the profile interesting.

Post-MBA Goals:
What is important is to admissions process is your pitch (story why schools should look at your profile), what makes you unique - career plan, leadership/team skills, why MBA now, why specific business school? Why are you moving from manufacturing to e-commerce? that is a cause of concern. Why not manufacturing and auto in specific?

Final takeaway:
Applying to leading business schools is a fairly time consuming effort. It requires efforts to selecting the right schools and developing pitch which helps you stand out from the crowd. You need a consultant who can understand your profile and offer personalized perspective to help you succeed.

In addition to GMAT, what is important is to admissions process is your pitch (story why schools should look at your profile), what makes you unique - career plan, leadership/team skills, why MBA now, why specific business school?

Admitpitch is a leading MBA consulting firm which provides unbiased views. We are a team of MBAs from top 40 business schools from US and Asia. Do reach out to us for a free profile assessment or any queries related to MBA admissions, do email us at [email protected]

Regards,
Admit Pitch
Admit Pitch,
US | UK | China | India

by Sundar Rajan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:58 am
Hi,

Just had a small query. Is it mandatory to have letter of recommendation from employer to apply for early entry option at ISB ? It's a very tough proposition to obtain not just one but two. I'm sure I'm not the only one facing this problem as it'd really hamper life at work.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:34 members

by AskgoISB » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:10 am
Sundar Rajan wrote:Hi,

Just had a small query. Is it mandatory to have letter of recommendation from employer to apply for early entry option at ISB ? It's a very tough proposition to obtain not just one but two. I'm sure I'm not the only one facing this problem as it'd really hamper life at work.
Given that you need 2 recos, it will be good if atleast one is from the employer. We understand that telling your immediate supervisor might be difficult but try to take one reco from someone senior e.g. a team lead kind of a person whom you might not be reporting to directly but can comment on your professional attributes.

goISB Team
Cheers,
goISB team
https://www.goISB.com
Ph: +91 9871354580
Email:[email protected]
Check goISB's Guaranteed Admissions Program (GAP) - ISB admit or money back*
https://www.goisb.com/services/gap/

by rohit1306 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:40 pm
Hi,

GMAT-690
GRAD-73%
XII-68%
X-64%

Working with Cognizant from past 3 years. CPGDBA (correspondence) from symbiosis.

-Have started my own Restaurant from Scratch.
-Working with a NGO from past 1 year.
-Awarded Medals for academics in college.
-Organised many fests in school and college.

Have some other points as well but thought of sharing the top ones, please evaluate and tell me if i have by mean any chances of getting into ISB.

Thanks,
Rohit

by shaleendadheech » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:19 am
Hi,

My GMAT score is 680
Project Management Certification from Stanford University, US
Graduation - B.E. in 2004 from RGPV university with 67%
12th - CBSE in 1999 with 73%
10th - CBSE in 1997 with 77%

I have more than 10 years of work experience in IT industry, currently working as as project manager in a product based company. I have around 2 years of overseas experience working as onsite manager at client site. For detailed profile attaching my resume.

I want to apply to ISB for PGP, can you please evaluate and let me know if I stand a chance or not.
Attachments
Shaleen_Dadheech_New.doc
Resume
(56.5 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

by shaleendadheech » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:19 am
Hi,

My GMAT score is 680
Project Management Certification from Stanford University, US
Graduation - B.E. in 2004 from RGPV university with 67%
12th - CBSE in 1999 with 73%
10th - CBSE in 1997 with 77%

I have more than 10 years of work experience in IT industry, currently working as as project manager in a product based company. I have around 2 years of overseas experience working as onsite manager at client site. For detailed profile attaching my resume.

I want to apply to ISB for PGP, can you please evaluate and let me know if I stand a chance or not.
Attachments
Shaleen_Dadheech_New.doc
Resume
(56.5 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

by harshita.tiwari » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:22 am
Hi Rohit,

Even though your academics are not exceptional, your GMAT score is good enough to apply to ISB.

As for the NGO work and the restaurant, if you believe you can use these points to differentiate yourself from the other candidates, I would advice you to apply to ISB.
ISB really looks for students who are passionate about something and if you are passionate about the work that you are doing or the accomplishment of your restaurant, you can use this in your favour.

Good Luck!! Let me know in case you need any further inputs.

Thanks,
Harshita
ISB Class of 2015