Profile Evaluation - ISB Hyderabad

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:34 members

by AskgoISB » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:33 am
sourabh12 wrote:@goISB team: Thanks a lot for the information.
Can you let me know generally what percent of R1 waitlists do get an admit call (from your experience of past fer years)?
Moreover does a R1 waitlist candidate only get a chance if a selected candidate doesnot accept his/her offer?
There are no stats on how many waitlists make it finally.
No, waitlists are compared with R2 applicants and then from the common pool admits are offered. It is not that waitlists get a chance only if candidates dont accept offer.
Cheers,
goISB team
https://www.goISB.com
Ph: +91 9871354580
Email:[email protected]
Check goISB's Guaranteed Admissions Program (GAP) - ISB admit or money back*
https://www.goisb.com/services/gap/

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Racklesshivam » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:11 am
Hi YV !!

I would like know where my profile stands among many candidates who apply to ISB .
By the way, I plan gmat 2nd take in coming Feb - March, then later months to built some profile till then need your guidance, below is my profile & how can i re-enforce it.

Education :
Bachelor of Engineering ( Automobile Engg. ) - 81.4%
12th - 73%
10 th -74%

Work Exp - till next year 4+ years
Company - Working with past 2 year with fastest growing 2 Wheeler Auto Manf. in India
Plus 1 year with another company in both role was of Procurement & Costing.

Extra curricular - 1) Member of college cricket team
2)Member of organizing committee in college
3)led robotics team in college (No certificate though)
4)Participated in various college competition
5)Did NCC in School

Awards / Achievements -
1) India book of Records holder - developed india's 1st bike which run on Air (Project was covered by various news channels accross India - have paper cuttings of some)
2) 1st runner up in State level designing competition
3) Merit certificate in National level chemistry quiz.
4) Led my team which qualify for national level in competition organizes my my company.
5) Have various certificates of playing cricket at inter college, nodal level, Participating in robotics.

Plz suggest me as my acads are low & I have no certificate of any social service, how may i procees.

Thanks & Regards
ST

by thanuchic » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:16 am
HI,
Wanted to understand how good is my profile compared to others who would be applying for ISB.

10th - 88.2
12th - 90
Engg ( computer Science ) - 8.1/10 ( Top 15 % in Amrita University )
Work Experience - Working in Cisco Systems for the last 18 months. ( til 25th Dec , 2013)

-Cisco Systems is the leading enterprise in terms of networking.
-And as a part of this I got to work on one of the most sizzling products of cisco ASR9K.
-As a part of work i also got an opportunity to interact with customers like At&t, vodafone, verizon.
-Also, have received letter of appreciation from the field.
-In lieu of my achievement in first one year of the job, i got a letter of appreciation and cash award from the company.
-Judged Cisco Star 3 times in a year. Which is given to the best two in a business unit consisting of 150 people.
- Worked on projects related to security on ASR9k routers, for which I had the opportunity to give a presentation to Mr Sam Pitodra ( Scientific Adviser to the Prime Minister of India)
- Also took part in Inter-Enterprise Badminton, cricket, football competitions

College
1. I have put forth a continuous improvement from a CGPA of 7.1 in the first semester to being the topper in the last semester. ( I have reasons reserved for not doing well initially :) ; should be able to convince )
2. PACE secretary - I had the opportunity to lead, a computer science department of strength 455 on average.
3. As a part of PACE association I also got the opportunity to organize a tech fest in college.
4. Was also one of the people who initiated the first tech fest in our College - Amrita University .
5. Was the head of EyeOS Indian Group ( cloud operating system, FOSS)
6. Member of the free and open source club, hence installing the attitude of using free and open softwares rather than using pirated softwares.

I belong to a defense background. My father is a retired officer of the Indian Navy. My exposure to things from child hood has been very adventurous. One of the facts that give an insight into my exposure is having had to change 13 schools in 12 years of college life. ( dads transfers :D )
But what I want to show here is that, i got to interact with people from different corners of this country, tamilian, andhrite, malayali, punjabi, kashmiri and the list goes on. I have learnt rite from my childhood to interact, compete and be the best wherever you go.

Interviews Cleared
1. SSB ( in 2008 )
2. Source Bits
3. Cisco Systems
4. Coast Guard ( PSB )

Awards
I don't have many of the certificates for which i got an award, but yes I have the medals.
the ones for which i have a certificate is
1. Best outgoing student in 10th Class.
2. Top 15% of Engg Grads in Amrita University
3. Best performer in cisco sytems.

Please can you evaluate and let me know if I can write GRE sometime in May this year and look forward to applying for ISB this year, so that i make it to the class of 2015.
Thanks a lot

by thanuchic » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:18 am
HI,
Wanted to understand how good is my profile compared to others who would be applying for ISB.

10th - 88.2
12th - 90
Work Experience - Working in Cisco Systems for the last 18 months. ( til 25th Dec , 2013)

-And as a part of this I got to work on one of the most sizzling products of cisco ASR9K.
-As a part of work i also got an opportunity to interact with customers like At&t, vodafone, verizon.
-In lieu of my achievement in first one year of the job, i got a letter of appreciation and cash award from the company.
-Judged Cisco Star 3 times in a year. Which is given to the best two in a business unit consisting of 150 people.
- Worked on projects related to security on ASR9k routers, for which I had the opportunity to give a presentation to Mr Sam Pitodra ( Scientific Adviser to the Prime Minister of India)

College
1. I have put forth a continuous improvement from a CGPA of 7.1 in the first semester to being the topper in the last semester. ( I have reasons reserved for not doing well initially :) ; should be able to convince )
2. PACE secretary - I had the opportunity to lead, a computer science department of strength 455 on average.
3. As a part of PACE association I also got the opportunity to organize a tech fest in college.
4. Was also one of the people who initiated the first tech fest in our College - Amrita University .
6. Member of the free and open source club, hence installing the attitude of using free and open softwares rather than using pirated softwares.

I belong to a defense background. My father is a retired officer of the Indian Navy. My exposure to things from child hood has been very adventurous. One of the facts that give an insight into my exposure is having had to change 13 schools in 12 years of college life. ( dads transfers :D )
But what I want to show here is that, i got to interact with people from different corners of this country, tamilian, andhrite, malayali, punjabi, kashmiri and the list goes on. I have learnt rite from my childhood to interact, compete and be the best wherever you go.

Interviews Cleared
1. SSB ( in 2008 )
2. Source Bits
3. Cisco Systems
4. Coast Guard ( PSB )

Awards
I don't have many of the certificates for which i got an award, but yes I have the medals.

Please can you evaluate and let me know if I can write GRE sometime in May this year and look forward to applying for ISB this year, so that i make it to the class of 2015.
Thanks a lot

by parvezjesani » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:42 am
Hi,

I am a CA/ CFA - Cleared all exams in the Fist Attempt.
10th - 86%
12 - 83%
Grad (BCom) - 86%

GMAT - 670

Work Experience of 2.5 years (Credit Suisse + Edelweiss + Start-up) + Articleship (Deloitte + Goldman Sachs)

Partner/ Co-founder of eParent (Social Venture)
Edelweiss - Equity Research Department (9 months)
Credit Suisse - MIS (3 months)
Family Business - 8 months

Extra Curricular Activities
- Co-author of ISCA Flash Cards (Introduced the idea of Flash Cards for CA Final Students)
- Working for MAD (Make A Difference) since 2 years
- Committee Member in College Fests
- Represented college in sports

I have applied in the 2nd dead-line for 2014 Batch.
Haven't got a call yet.

Please suggest if my profile is good enough to get a call.

Regards,
Parvez Jesani.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sgnikc45 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:46 pm
Hello GoISB,

Before I give you a summary of my profile, I want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to get our profiles evaluated.

My Stats :
X grade : 76%
XII grade : 40 %
Graduation (Bachelor of Computer Applications, India) : 78 %
Post-Graduation (Master of Science, Computer Applications, India) : CGPA 3.2/4.0
GMAT score (Mock tests) : 660. I am working on my weak areas and trying to hit the 700 mark.

The first thing that you will notice is my score in the XII. I have a genuine reason for this but I don't want to use it as reason to justify my candidature. I got back on my feet after XII as evident from my grad and post grad scores. I understand that all my other scores are at the most at an above average scale. Although, I want to point out that after almost failing in the XII, I have become very passionate about success and have been on a pursuit to redeem myself. Because of my low XII marks, I was unable to pursue a degree from any of the reputed institutes in India. After working for 4 years, I feel that I have got my profile to a level where I can at-least prove that I am serious about pursuing a degree from reputed institutes like the ISB.

Work Experience :
Total Experience : I will be applying for 2015 and will have 4+ years of work ex by then.
Industry : Information Technology
Role : Application Development
Current Company : Citi
Domain : Financial Risk
Current Designation : Assistant Manager (Role : Apps Dev Programmer Analyst)
Current Projects : I just delivered a project that was developed from scratch where I was the only developer other than my manager.

Before joining Citi, I worked with two mid size companies in the Telecommunication domain. In my first company, I worked onsite in India itself for a leading mobile phone service provider in India for 3 Months. In my second company, I lead a team of junior developers and quality analysts where my responsibilities included requirements gathering, design, development and mentoring. In addition to this, I also worked on developing proof of concepts for evaluating whether a technology was well suited for a project or not.

In summary, I have extensive experience in the end to end development of applications from scratch and I have worked on 6-7 projects till date.

Extra Curricular Activities :
1. I was MCC (Marching Parade) leader in school (2002-2003)
2. I have won many skating tournaments securing 1st, 2nd and 3rd rank. (2001-2003)
3. I play the guitar and the harmonica.
4. I am a part of a cycling group and frequently go on cycling expeditions.
5. I play chess and participate in online chess tournaments from time to time.

I wan't a realistic opinion from you about my chances to make it through the selection process.

PS : I am 26, Male and don't have any gaps in education or work-ex.

Thanks for all the help!

by sumanshekhar.mit » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:29 am
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile:
10- 87.2%
12- 54.4%
one year drop for iit-jee preparation
B.E. (ECE): 69% with distinction from MIT, aurangabad
M.S. (AES): 8.5 CGPA from Manipal university (while working - executive master's course)

Work ex-
42months (3.5 years) in automotive domain in KPIT(3 years) , Robert Bosch (6 months)

Won several award in college at national level.
Conducted several robotics workshop for engineering graduates.
Conducted and convenor for national level techfest organised by me in college.
Lead the college team for successive two years in national robotics event organised at asia-pacific level.
Associated with an NGO to teach kids for over two years, also i do its personal level.

GMAT : planning to appear late this year
Targetting to apply next year 2015 (work ex-5 years) for 2016 intake(5.5 years).

Want to do one year MBA programme only from india (isb, iim)/ singapore(ntu, nus)/ europe(insead, boconni) or asia(hkust).

Please guide me my chance and how much score is good enough for the college mentioned above.
Any thing else you can suggest to better my chances to break in single attempt in 2016 intake.

Thanks!

by sumanshekhar.mit » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:29 am
Hi,

10- 87.2%
12- 54.4%
one year drop for iit-jee preparation
B.E. (ECE): 69% with distinction from MIT, aurangabad
M.S. (AES): 8.5 CGPA from Manipal university (while working - executive master's course)

Work ex-
42months (3.5 years) in automotive domain in KPIT(3 years) , Robert Bosch (6 months)

Won several award in college at national level.
Conducted several robotics workshop for engineering graduates.
Conducted and convenor for national level techfest organised by me in college.
Lead the college team for successive two years in national robotics event organised at asia-pacific level.
Associated with an NGO to teach kids for over two years, also i do its personal level.

Targetting to apply next year 2015 (work ex-5 years) for 2016 intake(5.5 years).

Want to do one year MBA programme only from india (isb, iim)/ singapore(ntu, nus)/ europe(insead, boconni) or asia(hkust).

Please guide me my chance and how much score is good enough for the college mentioned above.
Any thing else you can suggest to better my chances to break in single attempt in 2016 intake.

Thanks!

by pre2012 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:12 am
Hi Folks,

My Profile:
10th: 86%
12th: 83.4%
B.Tech (Electronics and Communication): 8.4/10 GPA, Amity University.
Advance Diploma in Banking Technology: 78% (Secured second position), PNBIIT

Work ex: Punjab National Bank, Senior Management Grade, Scale-II, Manager (Information and Technology), will complete 3 years in June'2014.

Extra curricular:
I am a Junior Diploma Holder in Kathak Dance from Prayag Sangeet Samiti.
Have actively participated in Co-curricular activities during school and college.

I am currently preparing for GMAT. Please let me know my chances and score that I need.

Thank you

by pre2012 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:13 am
Hi Folks,

My Profile:
10th: 86%
12th: 83.4%
B.Tech (Electronics and Communication): 8.4/10 GPA, Amity University.
Advance Diploma in Banking Technology: 78% (Secured second position), PNBIIT

Work ex: Punjab National Bank, Senior Management Grade, Scale-II, Manager (Information and Technology), will complete 3 years in June'2014.

I have an additional experience of 2 years in Teaching, where in for 1 year I was involved in Teaching class 10th students, for the second year I was made the Assistant Education System Co-coordinator, wherein I was responsible for applying to various Quality related awards, Training and assessment of teachers and adherence to Quality Matrix (the school I worked with was Quality Council of India Accredited) and many other miscellaneous roles. Although my experience was very enriching, should I mention it in my application? ( I have an appointment Letter but have not been able to collect experience letter from the school).

My total (paid) work ex will be 5 years in June 2014.

Out of these 5 years, 2 years exp in Education and Training and remaining 3 years in Banking.

I am now working with PNB, which is the second largest Public Sector Bank in India. I am working with the Recovery Division at Head Office level (a division that deals with the Non Performing Assets of the Bank as a whole). Here I have been directly involved in the setting up of two Portals (1. Debt Recovery Tribunal, 2. Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest Act Portal (SARFAESI Act)). This was done with an intent of being able to monitor the course of recovery in NPA accounts where SARFAESi Actions have been initiated or where matter has been taken to Debt Recovery Tribunal. Now I am single handedly handling both these Portals at all India level. This initiative has not yet been implemented in any other Bank.
The entries in the portals are made by the fields and my job primarily is to make sure that the Portal works fine (IT issues), to address the issues of the field and to place the progress of recoveries in NPA accounts to the Top Management. Besides this I have other aspects also in my duty sheets.

Extra curricular:
I am a Junior Diploma Holder in Kathak Dance from Prayag Sangeet Samiti.
Have actively participated in Co-curricular activities during school and college.

I am currently preparing for GMAT. Please let me know my chances and score that I need.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by k_k007 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:19 am
Hi,
I would request you to suggest me for early entry option for ISB, Hyderabad

GMAT Score-650 (Q50, V27)
Xth-92.3
XIIth-83.6
IITJEE Qualified 2008
Graduation-Indian School of Mines, -74.3% (B.Tech Mining Engg)
Company- Tata SteeL, LTD, IT Dept OF Mines
Work EX-21 months

I have taken a very bold step in my career to join IT and planning dept of Mining area. I am working both in mining and IT area, so that i can bring some major changes in the Mining area which is very traditional. I am focusing in the mine planning area which is very new India. I have a start-up which is in Initial stage. My main focus in to bring some major changes in mining are by introducing new technologies and IT applications and has succeeded in some. So i think i ahve shown some unique thing in my career.So i have experience of both Mining and IT area.

Extra curricular
-Playing drums, was in my school band, learned on my own.
-Following weapons, arms and ammunition related news.
-Traveling. Have traveled a lot and done trekking too.

Please suggest, whether my profile is suitable for early entry option and what should be improvements.

Thank You
Kishlaya Kumar

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:01 pm
Hi Kishlaya,

You unique work experience sets you apart and you have some goog ECs to your credit too. You still have ample time which you can utilise to increase your GMAT score which is on the lower side. Good Luck!!
Mansie Dewan

by raghurajan.prateek » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:01 am
Hi Folks,

10- 79.2%
12- 54.4% (Also participated in 3 National level mathematics olympiads with good marks)
B.Tech. (IT): 66% from College Of Engineering Roorkee

Work ex-
Total experience - 4 years
3 Years - Citibank, Mumbai - System Implementation and Support specialist(Functional)
1.5 Years - Tech Mahindra, Pune - System Implementation and Support specialist(Technical)

In 3.5 years with Citibank I got 2 promotions and 1 award

Implemented many Center level programs and a key member for organizing/implementing any programs.

Also, have 2 certificates for CSR activities in which I am actively involved.

Please help me identify what score should I target in GMAT to get in ISB and what else I can do to make my profile better.

Thanks!
Prateek

by AskgoISB » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:37 pm
Racklesshivam wrote:Hi YV !!

I would like know where my profile stands among many candidates who apply to ISB .
By the way, I plan gmat 2nd take in coming Feb - March, then later months to built some profile till then need your guidance, below is my profile & how can i re-enforce it.

Education :
Bachelor of Engineering ( Automobile Engg. ) - 81.4%
12th - 73%
10 th -74%

Work Exp - till next year 4+ years
Company - Working with past 2 year with fastest growing 2 Wheeler Auto Manf. in India
Plus 1 year with another company in both role was of Procurement & Costing.

Extra curricular - 1) Member of college cricket team
2)Member of organizing committee in college
3)led robotics team in college (No certificate though)
4)Participated in various college competition
5)Did NCC in School

Awards / Achievements -
1) India book of Records holder - developed india's 1st bike which run on Air (Project was covered by various news channels accross India - have paper cuttings of some)
2) 1st runner up in State level designing competition
3) Merit certificate in National level chemistry quiz.
4) Led my team which qualify for national level in competition organizes my my company.
5) Have various certificates of playing cricket at inter college, nodal level, Participating in robotics.

Plz suggest me as my acads are low & I have no certificate of any social service, how may i procees.

Thanks & Regards
ST
Hi ST,

Your profile looks good. Automobile domain understanding with procurement experience will help differentiate yourself as ISB get fewer applicants from this domain and there is a good demand of MBA grads who understand supply chain and procurement.

A GMAT score of 700+ should keep you in race. Dont worry about community service. ISB doesnt value that now a days as every applicant writes it. Use couple of your extra currics well to complement your work experience.

Brainstorm on your post MBA goals with an alumnus or consultant. If you can present goals which are coherent with your experience and get a decent GMAT score you will reach the interview table.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.
Cheers,
goISB team

by AskgoISB » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:48 pm
thanuchic wrote:HI,

10th - 88.2
12th - 90

College

Interviews Cleared
1. SSB ( in 2008 )
2. Source Bits
3. Cisco Systems
4. Coast Guard ( PSB )

Awards

Thanks a lot
Hi there,

You will need to take GMAT as ISB doesnt take GRE score. GMAT score will play a critical role. So, target a 720+. Also, ISB takes few applicants with < 3 years of experience and by march 2015 you will have 33 months of experience. So, ideally you should wait for an year and apply in 2015.

As far as your work experience is concerned, it appears that you have been a very good performer and that should be highlighted well in the essays. While CIsco is a good brand you will be counted in the Tech pool only. So, while you leverage the achievements at workplace make sure that you also show potential to excel at managerial and business related activities.

The increasing GPA story will not add meat to the equation. So, dont bring that to discussion.

Use your multi cultural exposure well and try to link it with some attribute or skillset which you have developed over the years and ISB can value.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
goISB team