Profile Evaluation - International Student

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation - International Student

by Peavy11 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:40 am
Hey,

I just started looking into several MBA programs and I must admit I am a little overwhelmed by the bulk of information available. I would very much appreciate your opinion:

Nationality: Central European (non-English)
GMAT: 700 (expected)
TOEFL: 117
Undergraduate: Two degrees, one in sports management and one in psychology. GPA converters list my final GPA between 3.85 and 3.97 US. Both degrees from decent public universities in my home country
Graduate: Masters in Communications. Final exam (5 subjects) passed summa cum laude. Overall GPA a little lower (~ 3.4 US) because I studied for my second bachelor and my master at the same time. Degree also from a public university in my home country.

Work experience:
- 3 years working as a project manager in the sports industry (sports governing body, NPO) in my home country. I worked at two Olympic Games where I handled many different areas (logistics, ticketing, hospitality...). In my daily operations, I do not manage a team, however, at the games I was responsible for a team of eight. No promotions yet due to small overall company size.
- before my full-time job I also did two internships, one with an event agency in the US and one taking care of media for a race car driver in the Middle East.

Additional:
- fluent in three languages
- Participated in an international young professionals program by the International Olympic Committee
- extensive international experience, having done project work in 12 countries
- played first league sports during freshman year in college
- community engagement as sports coach

I was looking at Wharton (maybe Lauder due to language skills), Tuck and Fuqua. I am worried though because I do not permanently manage any staff and have not been promoted yet. Alternatively, I was thus considering going to a specialized sports management program (Oregon, George Washington).

Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it.

Best

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:05 am
Hi Peavy11,

You've worked in an interesting and uncommon field (in number of geographies) from the perspective of B-school admission committee, but your chance in making to your target schools will largely be decided by the depth of this experience - impact you had on your clients/ organization, what you learnt, how your experience will benefit the student community (could be important if you've an uncommon profile) etc. If these things work in your favor and you can articulate them well, then you've a shot at the target schools. Though, there is no harm in including 1-2 sports-focused MBA programs
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis