Profile Evaluation_Indian Male _Mechanical Engineer

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi, I am Md Merajul Islam

My Profile Summary :-
10th Std - 82.5% (Passed on 2005)
10+2 Std - 67.8% (Passed on 2007)
B-Tech in Mechanical Engineering from WBUT - DGPA 7.87 (Passed on 2011)
Work Experience : 41 months as on date (July,2011 to Present), Working in Larsen & Toubro Ltd, Power Division.
38 months work experience in India and currently 2 months in Bangladesh
Present Designation : Senior Engineer- Mechanical Project Planning
Job Profile : 2011-2012 -> Site Engineer (Larsen & Toubro)
2012-2014 -> Sr Engineer-Project Planning for Super-critical Boilers(Larsen & Toubro)
2014-Present -> Sr Engineer- Project Planning for EPC Gas Power Plant(Larsen & Toubro)
Extracurricular activities : Won prizes in painting and recitation at School Level.
I was a organizing member of our college fest.
Others : Associated with "World Vision".Sponsoring a girl child for her education

My Question :
1. Is my profile strong enough to admit in top 10 Business Schools, because I dont have much higher grades.
2. I am aiming for the following business schools :
i. Esade
ii. Said Business School
iii. Cambridge Judge University
iv.Indian School of Business

I haven't attempted GMAT yet.Due to work pressure I self study.I am aiming for 720 in GMAT,Is 720 a decent score for getting admit in one of these schools.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:07 pm
Dear Md Merajul,

A few reflections on your profile and points to ponder:
  1. The questions you raise are not in conformity. Most schools you have mentioned are not in the top 10. For reasons mentioned here, I will refrain from providing gut-based school recommendations. But suffice it to say, we've seen folks with similar experience profile make it to many of the schools in your list
  2. Your target GMAT score is not that bad. But if you can achieve that simply by self-study, there might be merit in enrolling for one of the online coaching classes and maybe you can bump it higher?
  3. Though you've provided a career bio, you have not really explained if you have sizable achievements or distinctions under your belt. THAT will really decide the strength of your profile since you mention that grades is not your strong point. Think hard and deep about that
  4. The other point to be clear on is your post-MBA goals. You've not mentioned those either. It becomes a bit difficult to link your type of profile with a post-MBA profile - another area to really get a grip around if you haven't done so yet.
Hope this helps,

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com