Test Date:
May 20, 2012
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:

Profile evaluation: Healthcare MBA programs

Post Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:36 am
Hi Jon,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look at this long post of mine Smile

I need your advice on applying to MBA programs in healthcare. My plan is to apply for the 2013 intake, but I’m worried that my low GPA and relative inexperience (as compared to other applicants) might work against me. Here are my details:

Indian female, 24 years. I grew up in the Middle East and then moved to India.
Undergraduate degree: Bachelors in Biomedical Engineering, GPA 2.99, non IIT but well known university. I lost focus in the first two years, but I matured and picked up the pace in the last two years, scoring mostly A’s and B’s.
3 years work experience presently and 2 promotions ( will be over 4 years by matriculation). I spent 2 years in an IT consulting company, where I worked with Fortune 500 clients in the Healthcare division. There, I realized that I wanted to entrench myself in Healthcare, so I quit and took up a job at Siemens Medical.
My growth in this one year has been swift. For example, I don’t officially supervise anyone, but I have mentored a number of newly joined people into the team (something which only more senior people are allowed to do here). I sit in for my manager on many important meetings, and on occasion, I do make the decisions myself. Overall, the career growth looks really good for the next one or two years, and I’m sure of getting great recommendations.

Haven’t yet given the GMAT, but my aim would be to score above 720.

Extra curricular activities: I volunteer at a local organization that looks after the welfare of stray dogs. And I’m in the process of starting up a venture along with other friends. The objective is to provide employment for differently abled people. Was co chair of a children’s welfare organization in college.

For the past 2 years, I’ve been supporting my family financially as my father had to retire because of ill health. My mother has gone back to college for her degree in Education, after which she would get a job, so family finances will not be a problem while applying.

I am targeting Tuck, Fuqua, Ross and Emory. Tuck is my dream school, but I know how competitive the applicant pool is. What do you think? Do I stand a chance at any of these schools? What would you recommend me to do in order to improve my profile? I am willing to wait a couple more years, if it will make for a solid application.

Thanks so much! Again, sorry about the long post!

Quote:
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Top Reply
Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:54 am
Ahh okay. No I thought you were gonna apply this year. So you are good applying in 2013. I'm not going to lie to you, the low GPA is a bummer, and it decreases your chances, in terms of that if you had a 3.7 you would have better chances. But there's no use crying over spilt milk. Smile Sooo the question is what can you DO to counter it, and really first and foremost would be to beat the heck out of the GMAT. If you can show that you are good at this standardized test stuff, this will greatly increase their confidence about your academic capacities.

As for the GMAT. you can comfortably take it before June 2012. In fact I'd suggest it, as if you get less than you expect it gives you pleeeenty of time to retake.

Anyways, I'm happy to see you are starting your research sooo early. Very wise of you!
and if you get a chance, try and visit all the schools you will apply to.

Cheers,

Check out our packages: http://bit.ly/1SyngNR
Read our success stories: http://bit.ly/1qohrfA

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: zivi
zivi Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posted:
22 messages
Followed by:
17 members
Upvotes:
Test Date:
May 20, 2012
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Top Reply
Post Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:06 am
Wow thanks Jon! You know, that's exactly how I feel in my gut. I really won't be able to take advantage of the MBA or give anything of value back to my class, if right now, I'm still studying nuts and bolts and am yet to see the big picture.

I am a little confused though. When you said "Wait for another year.." did you mean apply for the class of 2015 or 16? Because it sounded like you thought I was going to apply this year (class of 2013). Correct me if I'm wrong. I would never consider applying this year since I'm not a strong candidate at this stage.

How particular are these colleges about GPA? Coz mine isn't exactly stellar. Would this reduce my chances of getting an admit?

And finally, would I be at a disadvantage if I took the GMAT before June 2012 when the Integrated Reasoning section comes up? 2013 is still a long way off and by that time many applicants would have applied with the new GMAT. I've read up, but couldn't find any information on this.

Thanks!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:54 am
Ahh okay. No I thought you were gonna apply this year. So you are good applying in 2013. I'm not going to lie to you, the low GPA is a bummer, and it decreases your chances, in terms of that if you had a 3.7 you would have better chances. But there's no use crying over spilt milk. Smile Sooo the question is what can you DO to counter it, and really first and foremost would be to beat the heck out of the GMAT. If you can show that you are good at this standardized test stuff, this will greatly increase their confidence about your academic capacities.

As for the GMAT. you can comfortably take it before June 2012. In fact I'd suggest it, as if you get less than you expect it gives you pleeeenty of time to retake.

Anyways, I'm happy to see you are starting your research sooo early. Very wise of you!
and if you get a chance, try and visit all the schools you will apply to.

Cheers,

Check out our packages: http://bit.ly/1SyngNR
Read our success stories: http://bit.ly/1qohrfA

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: zivi

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 116 topics
2 LUANDATO 67 topics
3 swerve 66 topics
4 ardz24 61 topics
5 AAPL 59 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

213 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

177 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

168 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

133 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

126 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts