Profile Evaluation/GMAT 710/Work Experience-3 Yrs/Indian

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Experts,

I would like to know my chances in Ross, Kelly, UTA McCombs, Darden and Tepper based on profile provided below. Also it would be helpful if you could suggest any other schools for which i have a realistic chance.

My Profile:

GMAT: 710 (Q 49/V 39)

GPA: 8.1/10

Undergraduate: Computer Science at a top 10 university in India.

Work Experience:
Have been working for the past 26 months as a Business Analyst in one of the world's largest pure play decision sciences and analytics firm (By the time i start my MBA, i would have completed 3 years of work) I work with a world leading retailer to institutionalize data-driven decision making in their organization. I do this by the helping them harness the power of big data and analytics & decision sciences in their operational and strategic decisions.
Some of the work done includes Forecasting and driver analysis: Forecasting at various levels to support strategic, tactical and operational strategies of client; driver analysis to understand actionable levers etc
Cannibalization, new store location analysis, Market Basket Analysis, affinity analysis, event modeling, survey analysis etc. are some of the other significant projects for the retailer.

I would like to specialize in strategic consulting in retail sector to scale new heights. It is also in line with what i have been doing till now.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:01 pm
Hi there,

Thanks for posting. While you are part of a large applicant group (Indian applicants with computer science/IT degrees), your Business Analyst role and it sounds like some in-depth decision analysis and strategy experiences will definitely help you stand out from that group. Your analytical skills and real-world experience with a global retail firm will be appreciated at business school. Be sure to highlight those experiences to draw attention to how you are DIFFERENT from other applicants with similar backgrounds.

Sounds like your academics are excellent, and your GMAT is solid. Much of the final decision will be influenced by your essays, where you truly create your story and your case so to speak, for 'why business school', but if you put together strong essays I would think you would have a good chance at the schools on your list. Darden would be the most challenging but I think you could still have a shot if again, you really work on those essays. In terms of another program, you could add one more 'reach' program from the top 15-20 or so based on what schools appeal to you, if desired; but keep in mind most applicants find they have time to apply to 3-6 schools at most, and you don't want to sacrifice on quality for the sake of quantity-- each school's application should look like it's the ONLY one you are applying to!!

Good luck to you
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders