Profile Evaluation - GMAT 610 - Indian non-IT applicant

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello experts,

Please help me in evaluating my profile.

I am from Mumbai, India. I am 29 years old and looking to apply for MBA in Round 2 of b-schools. My preference is US b-schools followed by Canada. However, I am willing to look at other countries too as well as India. Below are my academic and work ex details:

GMAT Score: 610 (q43, v31) (Retaking on 14th Nov. However, I am prepared to go ahead with 610 even if my score doesn't improve)

Bachelor's Degree %: Third Year - 67.42., Second Year - 65.66, First Year - 57. I did my Bachelor's in Management Studies (BMS) from University of Mumbai. It's a 3 years degree and hence I have 15 years of education.

12th % (Science): 53.67

10th %: 82.13

Work Experience (in months): 67 months till now. Most of the work experience has been in real estate in sales & leasing of commercial office spaces. I have worked with some of the top real estate developers in Mumbai.

LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/samdighe

Career Goals

Short Term Goals - Post MBA, I would like to get a job in the Marketing field preferably in a brand management role. I would definitely like to work in the same country where I get my MBA from at least for 5 years so that I get international experience as well as recover my cost.

Now, I am aware that getting into brand management roles is difficult for international students. Hence, I would like to get into a school which has a strong General management as well as a strong Marketing course so that I can explore other options during my MBA. I would also like to be in a location where there are multiple opportunities across industries (not necessarily a big city though).

Long Term Goals - I would like to continue growing in the marketing vertical of a prestigious global brand. Mostly, would like to come back to India after a few years, so the b-school brand should have a good reputation in India also.

Why an MBA and why now?

1) The primary reason for doing an MBA would be to switch from Sales to Marketing.
2) To get international exposure
3) Grow exponentially in terms of scope of career opportunities as well as my pay scale.

If I switch my job now, I know I will get a pay scale hike but the role will remain more or less the same. Also, all my life, I have been in Mumbai. I feel my learning and experiences have been completely one dimensional.

I would like to be in a country where the work visa policies are generous and the quality of life is good.

Extra-Curricular & Achievements:
1) One of the core team members of the college festival and was later on appointed as the chairman of the festival.
2) Participated in the inter-school badminton tournament.
3) Participated in various social service programs during school
4) Learning Latin dance
5) Volunteered at an event at ADAPT (The Spastic Society of India) and a rally organized by India Against Corruption
6) Scored highest marks in college in one of the subjects in the 4th semester.
7) Received a scholarship from a fortune 500 company for meritorious performance in 10th.

My questions are:
1) Which schools can I target? Please suggest a few as per my preferences mentioned above. I would prefer schools which don't have a really large schools size and have a case study based pedagogy (Please keep in mind that I have 15 years of total education as opposed to 16 years)
2) What would be the maximum number of schools that I can apply to in R2 (considering most R2 deadlines are around 1st or the 2nd week of Jan) without affecting the quality of my application? I aim to apply to at least 4 to 5 schools.
3) Is there any possibility to get scholarship?

Thank you.

Regards,
Sameer Dighe

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by jeffrey.adcom » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:08 am
GMAT score is disaster. As an international applicant, you should aim only for top 10 schools. Else, your chances of landing a job is in serious jeopardy.

First step: Aim for a 720 + score in GMAT.
Top 5 MBA admissions consulting since 2006 |> 95% success rate| Stellar Value
Blog: https://jeffrey-adkom.blocked/

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:18 pm
Hi Sameer,

Your GMAT score will be a big hurdle. Get close to 700, if you're keen on Canadian schools, and take a call on your target schools once you've retaken the test.

Second, writing applications does take time. Essays often need multiple iterations. After you retake the test, you'll be left with 50-odd days for your applications, which may be just sufficient for 4-5 schools. And, of course, it also depends on the time you can spare.

Third, scholarships depend on number of factors including diversity, GMAT score, prestige of your undergrad program and employer, GPA, career progression, and so on. In general, factors that would make the school retain you at any cost (and not join a rival program). Typically, you need a high GMAT score (above the median) to make it work for you in a significant way. You may find this article useful in this regard:

https://poetsandquants.com/2014/11/20/mb ... schools/2/

Last, you may find this post useful with respect to 15 vs. 16 years education:

3-Year Degree: Do You Fulfill Eligibility Criteria for MBA Programs?
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis