Profile evaluation for older, non-traditional applicant

This topic has 1 member reply
RonMexico Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
2 messages

Profile evaluation for older, non-traditional applicant

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:12 am
NP,

I was curious about your opinion on age and MBA applications. If you don't mind taking a quick look at my profile, is there anything that comes to mind regarding my circumstances and age, or am I relatively stuck in a disadvantage? Please note, I will not be able to apply until 2009, due to my military service commitment (10+ years for jet pilots)......

30yo Hispanic Male // first in family to attend college (will be 32 at matriculation)

3.2 GPA, US Naval Academy (3.5+ GPA last two years)

4.0 GPA, M.A. in National Security and Strategic Studies from Naval Postgrad School

9 years as a Naval Aviator with plenty of Iraq / Afghansitan experience

Experience leading over 60 enlisted personel on aircraft carriers, with a few leadership awards, air medals and the like

2 years managing a multi-million dollar training contract between a civilian contractor and the military

Currently posted as an exchange fighter pilot to the UK - serving in a combat role with a foreign air force as the sole American pilot at the largest fighter base in that country

Fluent Spanish speaker with lots of EC involvement in school, a bit less in the military, mostly involving the Hispanic community

I have an idea about where I should apply, and I have little doubt I will get over 700 on the GMAT when the time comes, but how much of a handicap will my age be? Aside from a few more trips to Iraq and Kabul, my military career is winding down. In your experience, how much of a pass on age do military fighter pilots get, and will they continue to get them? Anything I can do to mitigate that? Any reccomendations about specific top 10 schools?

I look forward to your reply. -Ron

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
VP_MBA_Guru MBA Admissions Consultant Default Avatar
Posted:
690 messages
Followed by:
3 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
750+
Top Reply
Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:08 am
Hi Ron,
Thanks for your post... and thank you for your military service!!

Sorry for getting back to you late. Military-backgrounds are great candidates for top MBA programs, esp with their leadership experience, and hardworking, team-oriented and disciplined attitude. You have fantastic credentials, so I think you are in great shape! Make sure you shoot for a 700 GMAT to ensure you are competitive for a top program.

I believe most schools have Vet Clubs (extra-curricular club for former military), and I am sure they would be an excellent source of information and advice.

In fact, if you are interested in Wharton, I urge you to get in touch with their Vet Club (great support network) and Professor Michael Useem - who studies military leadership... he is one of the most respected and loved professor on campus. Both are fantastic resources.

Your biggest challenge is defining your post-MBA goals and how the MBA will help you achieve/be successful in your future career. Have you given any thought of what you want to do post-MBA? Once you have made that decision, think about how your previous experience and the MBA will help you become successful in the future.

** Age 'might' be a bit of a concern for schools like Harvard and Stanford (since they are trending downward), but since your service required several years of commitment, I think you should be ok - just make sure to state this somewhere in your essays (likely the optional essay, which gives you to opportunity to add any additional information about your candidacy)

Good luck!

NP

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 116 topics
2 LUANDATO 67 topics
3 swerve 66 topics
4 ardz24 61 topics
5 AAPL 59 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

213 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

177 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

168 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

133 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

126 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts