Profile Evaluation for LSE_GPA 3.92_GMAT 680

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi all,
Please evaluate my profile for London Schools of Economics: MSc Finance and Econ:
Towson University, Double Major: Finance and Econ
GPA 3.92
Major GPA: 4.0 (for Fin and Econ).
Math: Cal 1, Cal 2, Stat 1 & 2, taking Differential Equation right now with 99% of getting A.

GMAT 680, Q49, V34. Only 2 weeks of study before taking the exam.
IR: 4/8 (not sure how I messed up and ended up with such a low score on IR).
AWA: not graded yet.

CFA Level 1 Passed

(I'm from Vietnam, currently studying in the US, graduating in May 2016).

Please help and thanks a lot!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:47 pm
Thanks for sharing your profile.

What stands out most to me in your post - is that you reviewed for the GMAT for only 2 weeks. However, when admissions evaluate you, the qualifier that you reviewed for only two weeks would not help. Thus, if you are sure that you would be able to do much better than 680, I would suggest you consider it. It will help boost admissions chances and open up more opportunities later on.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

by Personal MBA Coach » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:12 am
traicetea1 wrote:Hi all,
Please evaluate my profile for London Schools of Economics: MSc Finance and Econ:
Towson University, Double Major: Finance and Econ
GPA 3.92
Major GPA: 4.0 (for Fin and Econ).
Math: Cal 1, Cal 2, Stat 1 & 2, taking Differential Equation right now with 99% of getting A.

GMAT 680, Q49, V34. Only 2 weeks of study before taking the exam.
IR: 4/8 (not sure how I messed up and ended up with such a low score on IR).
AWA: not graded yet.

CFA Level 1 Passed

(I'm from Vietnam, currently studying in the US, graduating in May 2016).

Please help and thanks a lot!
I agree that you would be better off retaking the GMAT. While you would have a decent chance of getting in because your quant is strong, if you only spent 2 weeks studying, why not study a bit more?

If you would like to discuss application strategies, send me a note: [email protected]

I have heard great things from clients who have gone through that program at LSE.

Good luck

Best,
Scott

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by traicetea1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:14 am
Thank you for all your advice
I believe I will retake it. LSE's Fin & Econ program accepts both GRE and GMAT, and it says it expects to see a strong Quant score, in the 85th percentile. But I have tried several GRE Math practice tests, and they're way easier than GMAT; I score 166+ (166, 169, and 170) with ease. And 166 on GRE Math is in 92th percentile. So if the school only focuses on the percentile, I have to score at least 50 on GMAT Quant.
I know that my weakness is in the Data Sufficiency especially with Number Properties. I will have to work hard on that and also try to learn some techniques that may help solve the problem faster. I also think about giving GRE a shot, although I know the GRE Verbal will be a disaster :D :D :D From old LSE brochure, I see that it published only GRE Math score without verbal, so I guess that what matters most to the school.

by Personal MBA Coach » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:27 am
I have a couple thoughts. First, the schools are very familiar with the differences in quant difficulty on GRE / GMAT (as much or more so than you are!). I don't recommend switching to GRE just for that reason. If the whole test suits you better, then it is fine. Second, if you want some assistance, we can offer targeted tutoring to bring up your score. Send me a note if you want to get started.

Good luck!