Profile evaluation for ISB

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation for ISB

by Priya SDre » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:21 am
Hi Team,

I am planning to apply ISB for the 2nd deadline for the class of 17-18.

Profile :
SSC : 90.61%
HSC : 74%
BE(Mech) : 62.33%
Work ex : 2.2 years (Developer for people soft finance - procurement)
Planning to take GMAT after 3 months.

Extra curricular:
1.In final year of my college I was appointed as Principal Nominee in the Student Council ,
we have this post in our college apart from the regular posts of GS , SS and CS .the selection for it is carried on the basis of apti , extempore and PI unlike the voting based appointment for other posts.
2.Carried out different social events as a part of this post such as annual functions(yes we have twice a year) ,poster competition and various social activities.
3.My final year project was grain dryer for small scale industries and we had won 2nd prize at a district level competition.
4. Won 2nd prize at an intercollegiate paper presentation competition.
5.Organised and volunteered at various technical events throughout my college years.
6.In 2nd year my team was runner up at IIT - kharagpur's zonal level competition of robot making.
7.Participated in various elocution and debate competition in school.
8.I used to do anchoring(usually formal)for various events at school and college.
9. Along with few of my friends we had started English club in my school as I have done my schooling in marathi medium english was secondary language in our academics.We used to carry out different activities under this club.
10.I like sketching but its not my hobby however I have passed elememtary examination for drawing but I dont have certificate for it.
11.As a part of CSR activities at my office we teach at 2 ZP schools , I have recently joined the team to teach arts and computer science on weekends.
(May be its too early to mention because theis activity has started in Sep only , but I am liking it so thought of mentioning it anyway)

Please let me know if I need to work on my profile and how much should I target at GMAT?
Last edited by Priya SDre on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by jeffrey.adcom » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:43 am
1) You belong to the "Indian IT applicant" pool, the largest segment at any B-School. Differentiation is extremely difficult, though Gender and Good undergrad brand will place you in a niche within this large pool.
2) Your work experience is very less. Software development alone won't make the cut. MBA, for most Indian IT applicants, is a bridge to get to the business side of Technology. However, recruiters at B-School would check whether you have any relevant work experience, irrespective of your performance in MBA. Almost all the applicants that I had helped, from this segment, got back to largely similar roles, post MBA. So watch out and think through your post MBA career goals.

Recommendations
1) Work for 2 more years before applying
2) Opt for business or quasi-business roles such as sales or pre-sales and start building leadership skills.
3) If you are keen on applying, as per your current plan, you have to aim for atleast 750.
4) Volunteer for a cause
5) Try to work in a international setting for atleast a year.
Top 5 MBA admissions consulting since 2006 |> 95% success rate| Stellar Value
Blog: https://jeffrey-adkom.blocked/

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:15 am
Priya SDre wrote:Hi Team,

I am planning to apply ISB for the 2nd deadline for the class of 17-18.

Profile :
SSC : 90.61%
HSC : 74%
BE(Mech) : 62.33%
Work ex : 2.2 years (Developer for people soft finance - procurement)
Planning to take GMAT after 3 months.

Extra curricular:
1.In final year of my college I was appointed as Principal Nominee in the Student Council ,
we have this post in our college apart from the regular posts of GS , SS and CS .the selection for it is carried on the basis of apti , extempore and PI unlike the voting based appointment for other posts.
2.Carried out different social events as a part of this post such as annual functions(yes we have twice a year) ,poster competition and various social activities.
3.My final year project was grain dryer for small scale industries and we had won 2nd prize at a district level competition.
4. Won 2nd prize at an intercollegiate paper presentation competition.
5.Organised and volunteered at various technical events throughout my college years.
6.In 2nd year my team was runner up at IIT - kharagpur's zonal level competition of robot making.
7.Participated in various elocution and debate competition in school.
8.I used to do anchoring(usually formal)for various events at school and college.
9. Along with few of my friends we had started English club in my school as I have done my schooling in marathi medium english was secondary language in our academics.We used to carry out different activities under this club.
10.I like sketching but its not my hobby however I have passed elememtary examination for drawing but I dont have certificate for it.
11.As a part of CSR activities at my office we teach at 2 ZP schools , I have recently joined the team to teach arts and computer science on weekends.
(May be its too early to mention because theis activity has started in Sep only , but I am liking it so thought of mentioning it anyway)

I am always asked why join IT being a mechanical engineer? The reason is when I was in my B.E final year
very few companies were intrested to take in female candidate (yes that is the situation even today) and it was already
end of academic year so as soon as I got the opportunity of working in IT I grabbed it.
I have attended one of the info session and asked the admission committee if it will have negative impact on application?
She clarified the doubt that industry change is not considered as a negative point in ISB application.

Please let me know if I need to work on my profile and how much should I target at GMAT?
Hi Priya

- The issue around transitioning to IT From mech engg is no issue at all. Plenty of people do it today, so that will probably not even be something you are quizzed about during the ISB admissions process.
- However, you have about 2+ years of work ex (on the lower side of the spectrum), are an IT candidate (though your procurement understanding will help) and your college GPA is not too high.
- You should ideally be aiming for 720+ on the GMAT, and should plan to take the GMAT sooner than January to have enough time for an R2 application. In case you feel this is not doable, pushing your application to R1 next year is also an option you have.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Priya SDre » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:54 pm
Thanks a lot Team:)
I have one more query before I started preparing for GMAT I had applied for Teach
For India and now I have been selected as a fellow for the batch of 17-18. It was not something I planned but happened along the way
my query here is, should I join TFI for the next 2 years and then try for ISB?
Although I have 2 months left for my GMAT and I am still preparing but my scores are not satisfactory so I am
in a dilemma. Can you please share your perspective over this ?
Thanks in advance.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by jeffrey.adcom » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:28 pm
Looks like it's a good volunteer program and would augment your profile significantly. You'd also get time to improve your GMAT score.

Take it up and apply for a Top 5 global school post the TFI.
Top 5 MBA admissions consulting since 2006 |> 95% success rate| Stellar Value
Blog: https://jeffrey-adkom.blocked/

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:04 pm
Priya SDre wrote:Thanks a lot Team:)
I have one more query before I started preparing for GMAT I had applied for Teach
For India and now I have been selected as a fellow for the batch of 17-18. It was not something I planned but happened along the way
my query here is, should I join TFI for the next 2 years and then try for ISB?
Although I have 2 months left for my GMAT and I am still preparing but my scores are not satisfactory so I am
in a dilemma. Can you please share your perspective over this ?
Thanks in advance.
- Taking the GMAT and joining TFI are two different decisions. We would recommend that as you have already been preparing for the GMAT now, don't give it up at this stage, try and improve your score further and then take the test. If needed, this can be done with TFI as well.
- TFI is a prestigious fellowship and its great that you are genuinely passionate about contributing as part of TFI. If it suits your plans, do go for it.