Profile Evaluation - Chartered Accountant (Age concern)

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Team,

I would be grateful if you can help me with the profile evaluation and whether MBA will help me to achieve my goals at this juncture

Name: Jigar Shah
Qualification: B.com (Graduate) and Chartered Accountant
YOE: 4 yrs (post qualification) + 3 years of article ship
Companies worked: Big four consulting - 3 years (EY/ KPMG) and 3 years in Banking (Standard Chartered Bank / Yes Bank)
Position: AVP - Financial Management
Pre - qualification facts: 10th (79%), 12 (79%) and TYB.com (Graduation - 73%)

The story:

Since past 6 months, I am increasingly getting confused about my career (also stressed out) and have been exploring GMAT options. GMAT considering the platform it provides, I am keen to explore for following reasons:

1. Profile shifting (more into M & A / Investment banking / business banking). Get into a profile wherein it requires demonstrating business skills set
2. Regional / Geographical challenge (challenging in different country preferably UK / US)
3. Elevating the personal and professional development (via GMAT platform)
4. Personal goal since I am an average student, want to test and prove myself by scoring 700+ and get into a top B-school

Currently, I started initial practice (from NOVA bible - GMAT) for GMAT (getting familiarize with GMAT). Since, I have limited time due to work schedule, planning to give GMAT at the end of this year / early next year. Preferred school in UK / Asia is INSEAD / HK University / ISB otherwise top 15 university of US, depending upon GMAT score.

Questions:

1. Do you think at the 30 (31 by the time I give exam) is too late for GMAT?
2. Whether GMAT will help me to pursue my different career aspiration considering age factor?
3. What should be the approach / strategy? 2016 intake or 2017 intake?

Happy to share more details

Regards
Jigar

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Sun May 10, 2015 3:31 am
Jigar,

Jumping straight to your questions with some more perspective thrown in for good measure:
  1. You will certainly be on the other side of the average, but unlikely to be an outlier. The post here will give you more sense on the typical MBA age.
  2. This is a larger career question Jigar. Without knowing what you are doing now (Financial Management is a bit vague), it is a bit difficult to understand your profile strength. Without knowing you as a person, it is also incorrect to give out a suitable career advice. Almost always, getting into investment banking is near impossible without an MBA (or another relevant grad degree) after having spent so many years outside it. For a more comprehensive career related discussion, check out our Career MAP.
  3. If you've made up your mind to, apply in this year's cycle, no point of delaying it unless there is something earth shatteringly different expected to happen in your career. Taking six months for the GMAT preparation isn't one of the most prudent strategies frankly - take up some professional help if you will, but get it done sooner. If not R1, at least catch the R2 deadlines.
Hope this gives some direction

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jigar4717 » Sun May 10, 2015 3:53 am
Hi Many thanks for the reply. Appreciate the same. will throw some clarity

a) Financial management - The role is a support function. Primarily, my role has been into providing analysis i.e business performance (popularly known as MIS) and now it has become wider i.e catering regulatory / auditor needs and finalization of annual accounts (annual report)

b) Have not made up my mind, will surely seek professional help / advice. However, to give you perspective, I want to challenge myself and elevate the career to the next level. This thought is driving me towards MBA. I think to get into business (mentioned my interest or Relationship manager) MBA will surely help.

Hence I have started the studying process. Do understand that six months is a long time and thanks for giving a perspective (atleast not an outlier).

Hope the above helps you in accessing the profile.

a) If I get the GMAT score this year (next 3-6 months),can I try 2016 intake (one year INSEAD to avoid one more year)?
b) Whether one year programs are recognized?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Mon May 11, 2015 9:37 pm
Jigar,

Sure you can try the 1 years programs; you may even be able to catch the R2 for the regular 2 year programs.

Not sure I understand what you mean by recognized? By who? If you meant credibility - sure, the European ones are. The brand value of some US schools who have also started 1 year programs may not be that much since the traditional programs (2 years) tend to have much better recognition and acceptance in the industry

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com