Profile evaluation and school suggestions

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation and school suggestions

by asimsim2 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:03 am
Hi!

I would really love to know what you think is a good fit for me for a full time MBA, and get a profile evaluation.
I plan to send my application in round 1 of next year.
I think my profile is pretty strong and I can make it to top 10 schools.

I'm 30 year old, male, not American
GMAT score of 760(q50 v42 ir8 awa6). Gpa of 3.8 in electrical engineering,
Ranked major and spent the last 10 years in the army.
In my latest job I served as a combat squad commander.
No experience at all in the business/finance world.
my work experience:
* Served as an officer most of my army life.
* Commanded up to several dozens of people.
* Mostly been active in field roles as a combat commander.
* Served 2 years in the army HQ in an office job.
* Managed complex projects, work plans and training plans.
* Haven't managed money. However, managed precious resources.
* Intense job overall, with many leadership and management traits acquired.

Why MBA and why now:
* First of all, I lack the business experience and the knowledge so this is the time to get them.
* I really love managing and working with people. this is what i did through all of my career.
* I can contribute to school given my different perspective and approach.
* Why now? Because I don't get any younger. Aand I believe I have the necessary traits to succeed in business but lack the experience, connections and professional knowledge.

Extracurricular: it is a weak part because my career was so intense:
* participated in several educational programs through the army - 1 year we did weekly school visits.
1 year we had students from schools come to our unit.
* running 3 times a week. participated in several 10km races and half maratones.
* certified as an advance open water diver, love to play guitar.

Really interested in the technology sector and entrepreneurship, however for me it is an opportunity to start a new career so all the options are relevant.
I am less interested in finance. Consulting and GM however are reasonable options.
I think part of the reasons I want to go to business school is to know better the job possibilities in order to make the right choice for me.

Optional schools and why I think they will be a good fit:
1. Stanford - proximity to the Silicon Valley and the tech industry. California weather...
2. Harvard - love Boston. Visited there and it was an amazing experience. Most diverse program for me to allow me to go to different directions.
3. Chicago booth - average age closer to my age. Really flexible program. Better scholarships options.

Any thoughts on these schools and my profile? Or other schools you believe will be a good fit?

Thx
asimsim

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:720

by fxmbaconsulting » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:41 am
Hi Asimsim,

Even though you give us a pretty good idea of your work history here - I think actually seeing your CV would help me or another consultant better assess your profile. Nice job on your GPA and GMAT :)

30 years old now, 10 years of experience and not planning to apply until 2015. That would put you at about 32 by the time you started an MBA and 34 when you graduated. That is too old for Stanford and Harvard. You might have a shot at Booth but would also need to consider other schools as well as perhaps an executive MBA program OR eMBA.

Feel free to reach out for a free consultation https://fxmbaconsulting.com/free-mba-adm ... sultation/
Leah Derus
MIT Sloan MBA 2010
Senior Admissions Consultant
[email protected]
fxmbaconsulting.com

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:29 am
You have an excellent profile and will be attractive to any top MBA school. If your interests are in technology and entrepreneurship, I would then also suggest MIT Sloan and Haas.

Feel free to contact us for a free assessment.

Have a great weekend,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:44 am
asimsim2 wrote:Hi!

I would really love to know what you think is a good fit for me for a full time MBA, and get a profile evaluation.
I plan to send my application in round 1 of next year.
I think my profile is pretty strong and I can make it to top 10 schools.

I'm 30 year old, male, not American
GMAT score of 760(q50 v42 ir8 awa6). Gpa of 3.8 in electrical engineering,
Ranked major and spent the last 10 years in the army.
In my latest job I served as a combat squad commander.
No experience at all in the business/finance world.
my work experience:
* Served as an officer most of my army life.
* Commanded up to several dozens of people.
* Mostly been active in field roles as a combat commander.
* Served 2 years in the army HQ in an office job.
* Managed complex projects, work plans and training plans.
* Haven't managed money. However, managed precious resources.
* Intense job overall, with many leadership and management traits acquired.

Why MBA and why now:
* First of all, I lack the business experience and the knowledge so this is the time to get them.
* I really love managing and working with people. this is what i did through all of my career.
* I can contribute to school given my different perspective and approach.
* Why now? Because I don't get any younger. Aand I believe I have the necessary traits to succeed in business but lack the experience, connections and professional knowledge.

Extracurricular: it is a weak part because my career was so intense:
* participated in several educational programs through the army - 1 year we did weekly school visits.
1 year we had students from schools come to our unit.
* running 3 times a week. participated in several 10km races and half maratones.
* certified as an advance open water diver, love to play guitar.

Really interested in the technology sector and entrepreneurship, however for me it is an opportunity to start a new career so all the options are relevant.
I am less interested in finance. Consulting and GM however are reasonable options.
I think part of the reasons I want to go to business school is to know better the job possibilities in order to make the right choice for me.

Optional schools and why I think they will be a good fit:
1. Stanford - proximity to the Silicon Valley and the tech industry. California weather...
2. Harvard - love Boston. Visited there and it was an amazing experience. Most diverse program for me to allow me to go to different directions.
3. Chicago booth - average age closer to my age. Really flexible program. Better scholarships options.

Any thoughts on these schools and my profile? Or other schools you believe will be a good fit?

Thx
asimsim
I think you should also be able to make Top 10. :)

Whether HBS, Stanford or MIT will bite... well, you'll just have to try and see.

When you say you spent the last 10 years in the Army, you do mean the US army, right?

Obviously your leadership will outclass about 98% of candidates, so nothing to worry about there. Plus you are gonna have a lot more interesting stories, than a candidate who spent a life behind a desk coding... so that's great too.

Maybe the single most important thing for a profile such as yours is to define clear and logical goals, based on what you already have done. It's not enough of course to say "hey I want o learn some business"... it's all a bit vague... but if you can define things within the context of what you have already done... then all will be good.

I hope this all makes sense.

Best,
JF
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:09 am
I won't jump on the bandwagon and repeat what everyone else said but with that GMAT and work experience, you're probably going top 10!

If you want to keep career doors open, then go for the programs that can really do that. So your Whartons, Booths, Columbias, etc. I know you mentioned Tech and entrepreneurship are areas of interest but any top 10 program can get you there. You're in a really good spot but you'll need to sell each individual school on a specific career goal and what that might be will depend on a) your experiences and b) that program. You're going to have to customize your approach more than most because your experience, while fantastic, is rather difficult to fit 1 to 1. Which means you'll need to make it fit. Totally doable - just need to make it a priority!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by asimsim2 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:03 am
Thx for the comments!!

Hope I'll make it :)
Right now I think I'll target Booth and Harvard R1.
Hope my studies of EE will prove the point that my progress is leading me to tech...