Profile Evaluation and Guidance

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation and Guidance

by ruhikaur » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:12 am
Dear Sir,

I need expert feedback and suggestions on my profile so that i can move ahead with a strategy.

Demographics: Indian,Female,27 years

GMAT : 730

Work experience:-
4 years (2 years in education industry + 2 years in a ngo)

Education:-
BCA (65%), Msc-IT (80%), 2 years of Certification course in management

Extracurriculars:-
- National Champion in Korfball, State level position in handball and throwball.
- Volunteered in NGO's for animal welfare, eco-friendly environment, road safety awareness.
- Published book: Business Environment

Target B-schools: NUS (Singapore), Ivey b-school, Wharton, Ucla, Boston, Columbia, Booth, tuck, Queensland, York university, etc.

Planning to apply in Round 2 for 2015.

Point of Concern: One thing i am really concerned about is that after 2 years of full time employment in an education industry i have got a major health problem so i have to quit job and then recovering after 6 months i have joined a NGO and working since then but how can i show proof working for a ngo as they do not provide any document i can only get recommendation letter from them. I have initiated many projects during my tenure so i can explain to the Adcom about various successful initiatives and how i have made a difference.

Kindly guide me a pathway that will maximize my chances of getting into a b-school.

Regards

Ruhi

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:47 am
Dear Ruhi,
Here are a few thoughts on your question and profile:
  1. Your experience will definitely grab instant eyeballs - which is good and challenging. You havent mentioned the nature of your work in education - will be good to get a glimpse of that. The challenge is, relating non-profit work to a valid post-MBA goal. If you can do that, you should have a solid story
  2. The gap shouldnt be an issue provided you can show evidence to that effect. I am assuming the outfit you work for does have some sort of legal standing? If you've put in 2 years there, its tough to believe they cant even provide you a simple letter saying something to that effect? The recommendation will help - but some backing from the outfit will be better
  3. The school list you have is a mix - some schools may be super competitive though. I will refrain from further guesstimate for reasons mentioned here.
Hope this helps,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:24 am
The 65% is a little low. Did you graduate with a First or Second Class Degree?

But to answer your question I would not sweat it. You write on your application the truth that you worked for the NGO. Sometimes schools have an external 3rd party service that calls to verify employment, but schools will assume it to be true.

I hope this answered your question and have a great day.
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.