Profile Evaluation and Bschool suggestion

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation and Bschool suggestion

by lavanya_n » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:22 am
Hi ,

I have given my GMAT on 3 July 2016 and wanted someone to evaluate my profile and suggest me what are the improvements needed.

1. Female,24
2. 2.5 years of Exp. in Tata consultancy services as System Engineer.
3. GMAT- 710

Strengths-

1. I have been working on Java/j2ee platform and I own a complete service in our project. I handle things such as coding, testing, interacting with client(Nielsen) regarding requirements or any improvements in the service and managing the things in specific to this service/application.

2. I train and already trained 2 freshers on the same service. It is almost like I am the lead of the service (though it is not any official position)

3. I did my under graduation in Information Technology from Andhra University with 8.87/10 CGPA. I was the second topper in my stream for which I received appreciations and certificates.

4. I was always above 90% student through out my academics.

weakness-

1. I do not have any extra curricular activities to show case though I am interested in sports such as Badminton and won it during office events, writing articles/blogs.

Scope to showcase-

1. I have a blog and I write frequently.

Please let me know what can I improve and how can I improve to get into top tier universities.(whether I have to do any courses??)

My options are ISB in India, NUS, NTU -singapore and UNC, Duke-US.

I can wait till 2017 fall if I have to build a profile stronger than what it is now to get into best Bschools.

Please suggest me on this point as well whether I can join for January in take of 2017 with this profile for above colleges.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Lavanya

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:26 am
lavanya_n wrote:Hi ,
Hi Lavanya_n, Thanks for reaching out to ask for a profile review. I will provide some insights from my 15 years as an adcom member.
I have given my GMAT on 3 July 2016 and wanted someone to evaluate my profile and suggest me what are the improvements needed.

1. Female,24 - Always will get an extra look for being female in this pool.
2. 2.5 years of Exp. in Tata consultancy services as System Engineer. (Work experience and age on the light side- would like to see some promotions and progression at Tata.
3. GMAT- 710- GMAT is solid but not top of the heap- depends on schools you target.

Strengths-

1. I have been working on Java/j2ee platform and I own a complete service in our project. I handle things such as coding, testing, interacting with client(Nielsen) regarding requirements or any improvements in the service and managing the things in specific to this service/application.

2. I train and already trained 2 freshers on the same service. It is almost like I am the lead of the service (though it is not any official position)- Can you try to get this formalized in a title or promotion?

3. I did my under graduation in Information Technology from Andhra University with 8.87/10 CGPA. I was the second topper in my stream for which I received appreciations and certificates.

weakness-

1. I do not have any extra curricular activities to show case though I am interested in sports such as Badminton and won it during office events, writing articles/blogs.(So this is a big weakness- can you strategize about how you can have a leadership impact over next year?)

Scope to showcase-

Please let me know what can I improve and how can I improve to get into top tier universities.(whether I have to do any courses??)

I can wait till 2017 fall if I have to build a profile stronger than what it is now to get into best Bschools.
(We offer a package at Stratus Prep that is ideally suited to your situation - we work with candidates about a year out from application- we identify all areas of their profile in detail and then we help them become a stronger candidate over the course of a year and if they choose- they can stay on with us and we guide them through MBA admissions process. You are still a blank slate in some ways- your work could use another year and you have the opportunity to get involved so that when you apply you have all your profile in best shape. what is your post MBA career goal? That is important to identify- and we have ways to help you with that also. Would love for you to do a free consult at StratusPrep.com website so you can learn more about how we can help you.
Please suggest me on this point as well whether I can join for January in take of 2017 with this profile for above colleges.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Lavanya

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:53 am
lavanya_n wrote:Hi ,

1. Female,24
2. 2.5 years of Exp. in Tata consultancy services as System Engineer.
3. GMAT- 710

Strengths-

2. I train and already trained 2 freshers on the same service. It is almost like I am the lead of the service (though it is not any official position)

weakness-

1. I do not have any extra curricular activities to show case though I am interested in sports such as Badminton and won it during office events, writing articles/blogs.

Scope to showcase-

Thanks a lot in advance.

Lavanya
Lavanya

Fuqua (Duke) will be tough. KF (UNC) is feasible, but with more experience. For ISB, the experience and the profile is absolutely ok.