Profile Evaluation - a 30yr+ Indian IT Male 730 (Q49/V40).

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:730
Thanks for taking the time to view this and provide your feedback.
I am a prospective Class of 2016 applicant for the full-time program. I am interested in the Full-time program so i can switch my
career into strategy consulting. I fully understand how important an internship is for career-switchers.

Basics:
A 34 year young indian male working in ERP System Implementation(IT) in USA. (will be 35 @ matriculation & 37 at graduation).

GMAT: 730 (Q49, V40, AWA 4, IR 8) (3rd Attempt) 640 (Q47/V32) in both my earlier attempts.
GPA: 70% - Instrumentation Engineering. (From a non-IIT University)

Work Experience: 12+ yrs
Finance System Implementation lead in multiple projects with some highly recognizable companies in many sectors. (FMCG/Energy/Telecom/Leasing)
Led the finance IT team in merging two businesses of a Global FMCG Company.
Architecting the systems/process implementation for retail stores (US & UK) for branded items of a Global FMCG Company.
Offshored the application support operations (1.5M revenue from project) of a GE Capital leasing unit and led a team of 12 people.
Integrated the energy trading applications of global energy major with NYMEX for trade execution/settlement.

Extracurricular activities:
Manage a growing portfolio of single-family real estate properties for my family.
Volunteer for Habitat For Humanity.
A failed SaaS venture in the past.
Led a team of 10 students in the Literacy awareness campaigns during my undergrad. We imparted basic literacy skills to economically
underprivileged women who were working as daily agricultural labor. The training program was conducted in the evenings to ensure their
livelihood is not affected.

ST/LT Goals : Work in the strategy consulting for 2-4 years Post-MBA and transition into a general management role and grow in
the organization. Prefer to move to the south/south west after MBA. School location is not much of a concern. Support to young family is also a consideration. (Wife & a 15 months old son)

Target Schools:
Tuck (EA) - Love this school. Small class-size, in the woods, heavy General Management focus, and very strong into Consulting & Finance.
Duke (Rd1)
Ross (Rd1)
McCombs/Darden (Rd2)
Johnson (Rd2)

Also on the radar:
Wharton - i know this is an absolute stretch but you cant acheive what you cannot dream/try for.
Tepper/Kenan-Flagler

Please evaluate my profile and any advise on the app strategy & school selection are highly appreciated.

Regards,
Adi
640 -> 640 -> 730
Third time is the charm!!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:50 pm
Hi Adi,

Thanks for posting. Congrats on the 730 GMAT, which is excellent. It sounds like you've started doing some good research so far which is important. The biggest question/concern I have is the fact that you actually have so MUCH experience, with 12+ years and being 35 at matriculation... have you considered this fact as you've done your research?? Have you looked into any EMBA options at all? Another consideration is many of the European business schools have a slightly higher average age than US programs. For example at Tuck last year the average age was 28. They did have a range that went up to 36 so not out of the question, but that could be the biggest initial question about your profile/application.

To overcome this concern, you would have to work hard to really show that you DO need this MBA and that NOW is the right time for it, and that you've done a lot of research into your post-MBA plans and are that certain that it still makes sense for you at this point in your career.

The other general piece of advice for you is to keep in mind that you would be up against a large number of Indian IT applicants, so you would need to try to figure out what makes YOU stand out among the crowd. You'd also want to showcase skills and experiences BEYOND technical and IT experiences.... since those are already evident on the resume/application.

Keep us posted on questions and decisions and wishing you all the best!!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders