Profile evaluation: 740(Q50 V40 IR 8 AWA 4.5)+4yrs Analytics

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:740
Requesting my profile's evaluation (27M, Indian):

I intend on applying starting R1 this year, for a full time MBA program starting in 2016.

Reasons for pursuing an MBA would be: develop my personality and skills for higher managerial roles; explore my capability on the Strategy Consulting front; equip myself with the knowledge and skill to start a business venture.

My details are as follows:
  • - GMAT: 740 (Q50, V40, IR 8, AWA 4.5)

- TOEFL: 112 (R30 L30 S24 W28)

- Work Ex:
    -- 4yrs working in Business Analytics in the Finance domain (Financial Services). Clients/employers have been banking/financial services majors from the US and the UK.
    -- Multiple awards across projects.
    -- Instrumental in realization of a significant cost save opportunity for one of the employers. Currently working as a strategy expert for one of my current employer's clients.
    -- Roles have ranged from business development to business analysis, project management, operational strategy consulting, marketable intelligence creation and data modeling, stretching further into mentoring of juniors throughout the tenure post 1st year.
    -- Consistently rated among the top employees. Good rapport with managers.
    -- Been involved with workplace event organizing committees.
    -- Involvement in workplace cricket events.

- Education:
    -- M.Sc. (5yr Integrated) in Mathematics and Scientific Computing from Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (Admitted through JEE-06).
    -- CGPA 7.7/10 (Translates to 3.58, as per WES).
    -- Department rank 3.
    -- Course involved pure and applied Mathematics, Statistics, Data Modeling, basics of Algorithms and computer languages.
    -- Internships in the IT sector. Academic projects done related to finance.
    -- Taught underprivileged school children from a nearby village, over an year.
    -- Experience in leading event management and hopitality responsibilities through institute festival organizing committees

- Other significant interests:
    -- Photography: Attended a certificate workshop. Maintaining a facebook page on the same.
    -- Online gaming, music, gadgets.
    -- Occasionally like to help out the less privileged through food/clothing distribution.

- Target school list R1:
    -- Cornell: Johnson: 1 yr accelerated MBA (I am eligible, confirmed by institute)
    -- Chicago Booth
    -- Kellogg
    -- Indian School of Business
    -- INSEAD

- Target post-MBA role: Financial Services Consulting/Business Strategy Development/Management Consulting

My Queries:
    - I am aware of my profile's weakness on the non-academic/non-professional front. I still wish to target a course starting next year. Am I over reaching with my target schools? If yes, suggestions on the targets are welcome.
    - I would want my application to be considered for available scholarships, as far as possible. Would stretching my applications further into R2 (Yale, Tuck, Emory), with a few more target schools, still give me enough of a chance to achieve this?
    - I would love to have opinions towards 1 year programs in Europe (I have INSEAD/HEC-Paris/IE/SDA in mind here), given the slowdown (Expected job scenario bleak?). What about Asian schools (Recent rising stars in rankings- NUS/CEIBS)?
Last edited by kapoormanas1 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:23 am
Jumping straight to your questions Manas:
  1. I don't see that necessarily as a weakness. It is more a lack of different dimension. Even so, you have mentioned involvement in events/Cricket. If that has been in an organizing capacity, that may be sufficient to tick the box. For reasons mentioned here, I will refrain from commenting on your specific list. Even so, the list seems not too bad overall. Be sure what you are going after though. Financial Consulting can be VERY different than management consulting. The brand of your current employer will also matter. If it is a primarily back/middle office work, the list may become aggressive.
  2. Very tricky to comment on scholarship chances really. It is usually proportional to your chances of selection. R2 at Tuck/Yale and expecting scholarship might be stretching it a bit though.
  3. Some of these schools such as INSEAD are good anywhere you go. Some others may pose a bit of a culture/language issue. Mainland Europe tends to be easier in terms of Visa norms compared to US/UK. In short, there are multiple factors at play which you should evaluate and then decide. I wouldn't recommend China. NUS is always a safe option.
Hope this answers some of your queries

Cheers,
Last edited by mcbMcK on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Johnson at Cornell » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:35 am
Hi Kapoormanas1,
Congratulations, it looks like you have a great start on the application process. I work in the Johnson Admissions office and would be happy to connect and discuss some of your questions more in depth. Feel free to reach out to me at [email protected] at your convenience.
I look forward to speaking with you!
Best,
Rebecca Dlubac

by kapoormanas1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:29 am
@Rebecca
Thanks for the good wishes. I would surely connect with you soon.

@Manish
Thank you for clearing my questions. Going a little further on one of your answers:

On point 1:
- I am working with a UK banking major as a Consultant through EXL Service, with direct reporting to the client side in UK, in the Credit Risk team. Here, would my primary employer matter more, or would that be the client bank?

- I understand that my reasons for pursuing an MBA vary a bit in the comment that I mentioned, mainly because of the options that I'm open to, across different schools, specific ones for specific schools. The thought is clear on what I'd want to pursue at any particular school.

by mcbMcK » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:52 am
Manas,

Both your employers will matter and it will also depend on how you project your experience. If you haven't worked from UK though, the experience will be considered that of a back/middle office - takes away some amount of sheen. Nothing that can't be overcome with the right recos and essays though.

Be aware of trying to feed school specific 'stereotypes' - these are mostly myths and not worth catering to! Be clear on what you want to do and then proceed from there.

Cheers,

by kapoormanas1 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:17 am
Manish

Thank you for further clarification. When you mention recos to overcome middle/back office outlook, I'm assuming its more on getting good recos from onshore counterparts, which shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding stereotyping, actually my choice of specialization is varying slightly by schools, given the availability of courses/concentrations at those schools, versus my Analytics Consulting/Strategy oriented primary target role. I'll surely keep your point in mind, though.
Regards
Manas Kapoor
GMAT score: 740(Q50, V40)

by mcbMcK » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:42 pm
kapoormanas1 wrote:Manish

Thank you for further clarification. When you mention recos to overcome middle/back office outlook, I'm assuming its more on getting good recos from onshore counterparts, which shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding stereotyping, actually my choice of specialization is varying slightly by schools, given the availability of courses/concentrations at those schools, versus my Analytics Consulting/Strategy oriented primary target role. I'll surely keep your point in mind, though.
Yes, I meant the recos.

All the best