Hi,

Here is my following background:

Undergrad in civil engineering from an average undergrad in China - 3.65 GPA
MACC from top US program~ 3.7 GPA
CPA license
3 years of Big 4 audit experience
Female - not sure it matters
720 GMAT - Looking to retake to 750
Avg softs~ i.e. clubs, volunteer work...
US Citizen - not sure it matters ...

Do I have any chance at the following schools?
Harvard, Stanford, UPenn MIT, Chicago (full time), Columbia, Berkeley? Also, if I apply lower down to schools say UMICH will I get any scholarship money?

Will retaking the GMATs help me if I get a 750?
I heard that my best chance at Harvard, Stanford, Upenn or MIT is with MIT due to the fact that I am female and I have an engineering background?

Thanks in advance...

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:26 am
Hello thexfactor,

Thank you for your post! You have some promising stats, but I encourage you to consider more aspects of your candidacy.

A 720 is competitive for your selected programs and hopefully there is a balance between your math and verbal scores (both at least 80%). A 750 would certainly help you stand out more; however, you should be more focused on showcasing your leadership and management experience.

MIT does accept a higher proportion of applicants from engineering, relative to the other programs on your list. However, these schools will all be looking beyond the stats you've shared for your skills and experience in leadership, management, and communication, among many others areas. They'll also be looking at your career progress and impact, your community involvement, career vision, etc. So, while I can see your stats being competitive for these programs, you will ultimately stand out with your experience and clear vision for your future career. In regards to scholarships at Ross, you can find more information here: https://www2.bus.umich.edu/MyiMpact/fina ... rships/MBA. Unfortunately, without knowing more about your professional accomplishments, it's a bit difficult to assess your chances.

Finally, underlying this is the added factor of being an Indian national with a degree from an Indian institution; you come from an oversubscribed pool of applicants. Many of your fellow country men and women with similar academic histories (if not professional experiences) are also targeting top programs, and that makes it even more difficult to truly stand out or differentiate yourself. It looks like you'll be able to point to some brand name work experience to stand out, but accountants are often assumed to be risk-averse, quiet, and lacking in leadership experience and interpersonal skills. Obviously, you will want to show that these stereotypes don't apply to you. Overall, you want to show the adcoms that you would be an engaging member of their student communities and, ultimately, in the business world. Overall, you have a sound base, but need to consider the details of your experience to better determine your chances. I would be happy to discuss your candidacy and prospects further; you can contact us directly at https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/.
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by thexfactor » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:30 am
Thanks Eliot.

I'm a Chinese national, not an Indian national. I am also currently engaged to be married to a US citizen. Would it help my chances if I hold a green card or citizenship before I apply? Also, My scores are very skewed towards Math and I believe my verbal is only in the 50th percentile. Is that going to hurt my chances?

Also lastly, does it matter between round 1 and 2?

Thanks so much!