Profile Eval/How to Increase chance a year out

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I'm very passionate about applying to business school and I'm currently studying for the GMAT (Month 2). I'm planning on applying next year to enter into the class of 2017.

In addition to preparing for the GMAT and working on increasing responsibility at work, I'd like to know what I can do now to help my cause.

Here are schools I'm considering applying to in Round 1: Michigan, Northwestern, Columbia, NYU, Cornell.

Undergraduate education: 3.37 GPA from UT Dallas, Marketing Major
Was playing in bands at time recording music, VP of Marketing Associate at School

Target GMAT: 730

Age 27 - applying at 28.

Extracurricular: Running 1/2 marathons and 10ks in NYC. Founder and president of Alumni chapter in NYC.

Work experience:

Marketing Coordinator at large publishing company, ended up developing and implementing corporate social media strategy under CMO and VP of Marketing's direction. (1 year, 7 months)

Marketing Automation Manager at small software company, work with major big name brands, manage 2 outsourced teams and manage relationships with major clients. (11 months, currently)

Interviewed and considering moving to a Forbes 50 company as a marketing software consultant (would be 1 year before applying)

Alternative transcript:
Considering taking 3 classes to get As and provide alternative transcript for schools.

What else can I do a year out from applying to increase my changes? I'd ultimately like to switch to management consulting to a firm such as: Mckinsey, Bain, BCG. What are my changes at the listed schools and should I consider any others?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:03 am
Great that you are asking this question early!
All other things being equal, leadership, particularly in the community, is where I'd love to see you work the most. Marathon-running is good up to a point, but top business schools are looking for impact: how do you, as a leader, impact OTHERS? Leading groups of people training could be one way; but how about having an interest in a cause that's truly outside yourself, that benefits the community you live in?

The top MBA programs are looking for a history of genuine commitment rather than, say, a one-off volunteering role or one-to-one tutoring once a week for six months in advance of your application. If you've got a year and a half before application, this would be a great place to maximize your investment.

Additional coursework is good, but if your GMAT is 730 (I realize that's a target) they already know you're smart, so additional coursework could be more like frosting on the cake; get that GMAT out of the way early, and invest as much as possible in your leadership development.

In the workplace, continue and expand your team leadership, focus on those brand-name collaborations, and if possible, get sent overseas to manage off-site teams in person. That way you'll have some international stories to add to your application. Should you chance jobs again? I don't think so -- put down more roots and have even more impact where you are -- 3 jobs in 3.5 years doesn't look as good as 2 companies and a promotion or two over the same period of time, and the promotion will give you more opportunity to build internationalism and impact.

Hope this helps!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me