Profile eval: GMAT 680, 3.5yrs Exp Investment Banking

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I want to study at INSEAD or LBS. It will be very helpful if you could give me some advice regarding the following questions:

1. Should I take the GMAT again based on my profile?
2. Any other facets of my profile that I should work on?
3. Will taking the GMAT again reduce my chances of getting into my target schools?
4. What is valued more by these schools: International exposure with limited skillset or little international exposure with a diverse skillset?

GMAT Score: 680 (QA: 50 (89%); VA: 31 (60%); IR: 3 (23%))

Experience: 3.5 yrs
1. 2.5 yrs as an Investment banking analyst in a bulge bracket investment bank. Over the course of this period I have worked directly with the NY team as part of a team extension model. I have also had the chance to work in NY for a month. In addition to that, I am the top ranked analyst in the IBD division. I have also been given the offer the join the NY office.

2. 1.0 yr as a Design Engineering in a leading US based Semiconductor designing firm . My work entailed designing semiconductor chips for clients. No major achievements here because I was there for only a year and the recession had just started so all their major projects had bee scrapped.

Education:

1. MBA - Top 10 bschool from India (Ranked among Top 10% of the batch)
2. B.E Electronics & Communication Engineering: Top 10 engineering school (Rank 4)
3. CFA Level 3 candidate
4. FRM (All levels cleared)

Extra curriculars
1. Founder and Head of the Entrepreneurship cell at my bschool
Awarded a certificate of leadership for the same by the National Entrepreneurship Network
2. Event organizer of a few technical and cultural events at my engineering college

Purpose / Motivation
1. Why second MBA?
I want to start my own PE / Asset mang. fund in the APAC region.
Thus, I want to go to a top notch school such as INSEAD that will help me in the following ways:
Globalize my network: It will help me raise capital and business from different parts of the world
Get some work experience in the PE / Asset mang space + learn the nuances of business in different parts of the world
Global brand name

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:19 am
Your GMAT will be within the 80% range of your targets which is good, but below average in your applicant pool, which can make it hard to stand out. Having said that, the Indian male applicant pool is challenging to stand out in even with a high GMAT score, so I would focus on your experience in the international banking arena, and would guess you are unique in that regard and therefore attractive to schools in Europe, who get far fewer US buldge bracket banking applicants because those professionals generally go to school in the US for their MBA. ONe potential snag may be in trying to get another MBA. Many schools frown on "double dipping" so you need to be prepared to speak to why your first MBA was different and therefore unable to get you what you needed to progress in your career in banking without an MBA from "the West."
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options