Probability

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:6 members

Probability

by BTGmoderatorRO » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:30 am
The probability that event M will not occur is 0.8 and the probability that event R will not occur is 0.6. If events M and R cannot both occur, which of the following is the probability that either event M or event R will occur?

A) 1/5
B) 2/5
C) 3/5
D) 4/5
E) 12/25

OA is c

I solved this question twice and I got two answers, can someone confirm if it is C or A

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:12 members

by EconomistGMATTutor » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:17 am
Hello Roland2rule.

The question tell us that the probability that event M will NOT occur is 0.8, it implies that the probability that event M will OCCUR is 0.2.

Also, as the probability that event R will NOT occur is 0.6, then the probability that event R will OCCUR is 0.4.

Finally, it is asked what is the probability that either event M or event R will occur, so, the probability is the sum of the two probabilities calculated before. That is to say,
$$P\left(M\right)+P\left(R\right)=0.2+0.4\ =\ 0.6\ =\ \frac{3}{5}.$$

So, the correct answer is C .

I hope this can help you.

Feel free to ask me again if you have a doubt.
GMAT Prep From The Economist
We offer 70+ point score improvement money back guarantee.
Our average student improves 98 points.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:38 am
BTGmoderatorRO wrote:The probability that event M will not occur is 0.8 and the probability that event R will not occur is 0.6. If events M and R cannot both occur, which of the following is the probability that either event M or event R will occur?

A) 1/5
B) 2/5
C) 3/5
D) 4/5
E) 12/25

OA is c

I solved this question twice and I got two answers, can someone confirm if it is C or A

We are given that the probability that event M will not occur is 0.8 and the probability that event R will not occur is 0.6, and that events M and R cannot both occur.

We need to determine the probability that either event M or event R will occur.

The probability that event M will occur is 1 - 0.8 = 0.2 = 1/5

The probability that event R will occur is 1 - 0.6 = 0.4 = 2/5

Recall that the formula for the probability of event A or event B occurring is P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B); therefore:

P(M or R) = P(M) + P(R) - P(M and R).

Since we are told that events M and R cannot both occur, that means P(M and R) = 0, and thus the probability that either event M or event R will occur is:

P(M or R) = 1/5 + 2/5 - 0 = 3/5.

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage