Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

Primes: If p is a prime number greater than 2, what is the v

This topic has 4 expert replies and 8 member replies
II GMAT Destroyer!
Posted:
400 messages
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Primes: If p is a prime number greater than 2, what is the v Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:15 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    If p is a prime number greater than 2, what is the value of p ?

(1) There are a total of 100 prime numbers between 1 and p+1

(2) There are a total of p prime numbers between 1 and 3912

Thanks.

Last edited by II on Mon May 05, 2008 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Stuart Kovinsky GMAT Instructor
    Posted:
    3225 messages
    Followed by:
    532 members
    GMAT Score:
    Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:15 am
    II wrote:

Thanks.
    (1) We could write out a list of the first 100 primes. Since there are 100 primes between 1 and p+1, p is the 100th prime on our list: sufficient.

(2) We could write out all the primes between 1 and 3912 and count them: sufficient.

Each of (1) and (2) is sufficient on its own: choose (D).

1-800-KAP-TEST
    www.kaptest.com

Learn more about me

Thanked by: gmattesttaker2
    Free GMAT Practice Test under Proctored Conditions! - Find a practice test near you or live and online in Kaplan's Classroom Anywhere environment. Register today!
    II GMAT Destroyer!
    Posted:
    400 messages
    Target GMAT Score:
    GMAT Score:
    Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:16 pm
    Easy as that ! Smile
    Thanks Stuart ...

gmatguy16 Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    124 messages
    Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:59 pm
    stuart isnt the answer b,
    in the sense says there are 3 prime numbers between 2 and 11 (p+1) ,but there are also 3 prime numbers between 2 and 8 ,2 and 9 ,2 and 10 , 2 and 11(since 8,9 and 10 are not prime)..so p could be 7 ,8,9 or 10 since question specifically asks for value of p.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Posted:
    3225 messages
    Followed by:
    532 members
    GMAT Score:
    Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:43 am
    gmatguy16 wrote:
    stuart isnt the answer b,
    in the sense says there are 3 prime numbers between 2 and 11 (p+1) ,but there are also 3 prime numbers between 2 and 8 ,2 and 9 ,2 and 10 , 2 and 11(since 8,9 and 10 are not prime)..so p could be 7 ,8,9 or 10 since question specifically asks for value of p.
    We know that p is a prime number, so we also know that p+1 isn't a prime number (the only consecutive primes are 2 and 3, and p certainly isn't 2 based on other info we have).

So, in your example, the only number that would be a possible match would be p=7 and p+1=8.

If we hadn't known that p was prime, then you'd be right, there would potentially be multiple values (we'd have to actually count them out to tell).

1-800-KAP-TEST
    www.kaptest.com

Learn more about me

Free GMAT Practice Test under Proctored Conditions! - Find a practice test near you or live and online in Kaplan's Classroom Anywhere environment. Register today!
    microke Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
    Posted:
    38 messages
    Target GMAT Score:
    Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:19 am
    Stuart, is it not necessary to have "unique" value of p from both the statements?

One can write first 100 primes and can find P from statement 1. Meanwhile one can write all the primes between 1 and 3912. My question is what is the surety that the answers from both the statements give a unique p? How one can cross check for such big problems or is not necessary that two statements should point to the unique single number? I am somewhat confused....

GMAT/MBA Expert

Posted:
    3225 messages
    Followed by:
    532 members
    GMAT Score:
    Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:54 am
    microke wrote:
    Stuart, is it not necessary to have "unique" value of p from both the statements?

One can write first 100 primes and can find P from statement 1. Meanwhile one can write all the primes between 1 and 3912. My question is what is the surety that the answers from both the statements give a unique p? How one can cross check for such big problems or is not necessary that two statements should point to the unique single number? I am somewhat confused....
    If a statement is sufficient by itself, you NEVER have to worry about the statements together.

By design, any time that each statement gives you enough information, the two statements always agree on the answer. Otherwise, when you combined the statements (it always has to be possible to combine them, even though it's not always necessary), you'd get a null answer to the question - and there's always at least one answer.

Here are a couple of examples of what you would NEVER see on the GMAT:

What's the value of x?

1) x + 14 = 23

2) x - 14 = 23

Each statement gives you a unique value for x, but they give conflicting values. Therefore, the above is an impossible (i.e. it would NEVER appear) GMAT question.

Is x > 0?

1) x > 20

2) x < -3

Looked at separately, each statement gives you a definite answer: from (1) we get a definite "yes" and from (2) we get a definite "no". However, on the GMAT that will NEVER happen, since taken together there are no possible values for x (i.e. there's no number that's BOTH greater than 20 AND less than -3). Hence, this would be another impossible (i.e. it would NEVER appear) GMAT question.

On a side note, you can sometimes use the above rule to double check your work. If you decided that each statement was sufficient but you notice that each one gave you a different answer, then you can be certain that you made a mistake along the way.

1-800-KAP-TEST
    www.kaptest.com

Learn more about me

microke Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
    Posted:
    38 messages
    Target GMAT Score:
    Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:44 pm
    Thanks Stuart, for clarifying the important concept in DS. Now I understood GMAC philosophy on DS. Very valuble input.....

ohwell Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    28 messages
    Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:16 pm
    The part I stumbled on in this question is that nowhere does it say that the prime numbers need to be unique. I guess it can be somewhat inferred, but I was thinking what if all the prime numbers are all the same, who knows what p can ever be?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Posted:
    3225 messages
    Followed by:
    532 members
    GMAT Score:
    Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:59 pm
    ohwell wrote:
    The part I stumbled on in this question is that nowhere does it say that the prime numbers need to be unique. I guess it can be somewhat inferred, but I was thinking what if all the prime numbers are all the same, who knows what p can ever be?
    Whenever a question talks about "the numbers between x and y", it's referring to the number line, on which each number appears exactly once.

1-800-KAP-TEST
    www.kaptest.com

Learn more about me

Thanked by: ohwell, andalli
    LulaBrazilia Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    116 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:51 pm
    Stuart Kovinsky wrote:
    II wrote:

Thanks.
    (1) We could write out a list of the first 100 primes. Since there are 100 primes between 1 and p+1, p is the 100th prime on our list: sufficient.

(2) We could write out all the primes between 1 and 3912 and count them: sufficient.

Each of (1) and (2) is sufficient on its own: choose (D).
    Good explanation

LulaBrazilia Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    116 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:02 pm
    I just hope I'm never asked to find the sum of the first 100 prime numbers!

austin Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    110 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:58 pm
    As Stuart rightly put it, we need not find the exact answer in DS (unlike PS). All we need to check is whether the statement(s) give us a 100% unique (consistent) answer.

Best Conversation Starters

1 abhasjha 52 topics
    2 sapuna 21 topics
    3 tanvis1120 20 topics
    4 Nijo 18 topics
    5 qwerty12321 16 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

178 posts
    2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow