Prepping to take a GMAT Course - MGMAT Online

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to reach out to see if anyone has taken the Manhattan GMAT Online Prep Course and can provide some insight on a few items.

I think these questions would apply to most prep courses so feel free to share your experiences with other programs.

1) What sort of prep work did you do before taking the class?
- Study concepts? formulas? Nothing?
2) If you didn't do any prep work, looking back, what would you have done?
3) What sort of program weaknesses did you identify while taking the course?
- I heard MGMAT doesn't focus on the verbal section enough (but that criticism isn't widespread)
4) Besides the OG 13 and 2nd Edition Verbal & Quant books, did you use any other materials to prepare for the exam?
- Excluding the MGMAT books

Thank you!!
Greg

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:53 pm
Hi Greg,

I'm sure you'd also like to get opinions from students who have taken our courses, but I thought I'd answer your questions from an instructor's perspective.

1) What sort of prep work did you do before taking the class?

It's certainly not necessary to prep before the course. I'd guess that most of our students start class without having done any prep at all. However, there is some prep work that can help you get the most out of class:
- take a practice exam on our website before you begin the course, to see where your strengths and weaknesses lie (this will be on your syllabus for the first week of class anyway).
- if your math skills are rusty, try taking our Basic Math Diagnosis, and doing some work with our Foundations of Math guide and online drill sets. You can also attend or watch recordings of our Foundations of Math workshops (all of this will be included with the cost of your course). Once you have a better grounding in the foundations, you'll find the course material goes easier.
- if you struggle with verbal, we have a Foundations of Verbal guide that can help to ground you in grammar rules, etc, before you begin.

2) If you didn't do any prep work, looking back, what would you have done?
- The biggest regret I hear from students is that they wished they had done Foundations of Math first.

3) What sort of program weaknesses did you identify while taking the course?
Well, here's where my opinion is biased - I think it's an excellent program! And I can assure you that we do focus a good deal on the verbal side.

4) Besides the OG 13 and 2nd Edition Verbal & Quant books, did you use any other materials to prepare for the exam?
We have a TON of online resources, including GMAT Interact, online labs, question banks, blog, forums, etc. Other than MGMAT stuff, I'd recommend that you download the GMATPrep software from mba.com.

Please contact our Student Services at [email protected] if you have any other questions. Good luck with your studies!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education