Preparing for the GMAT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Preparing for the GMAT

by cody.fierst » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:10 am
Hello,

I am starting to prepare to take the GMAT in Late March/Early April and was just wondering some things I should get. I have already signed up for your 60 day email plan and I am going to purchase the 2017 GMAT study guide bundle GMAT Bundle. Could you please let me know of anything else I need to look into. I am planning on taking an official CAT test this weekend to see where my base score is.

Thank You,
Cody

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:10 am
Hi Cody,

That initial CAT score is important - it helps to define your current skills, strengths and weaknesses - so to get an accurate score result, you should make sure to take the CAT in a realistic way (so take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections and don't do anything that you're not allowed to do on Test Day). Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can talk through your study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by cody.fierst » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:15 am
Rich,

Thank you for the timely response, I will post my scores once the test is complete.

As for the other questions, see below for answers.

1) Mean score for the 2016 program was 524 (Theyd like a 600 though)
2) Deadline to apply is May 1, 2017, This will give me about 3ish months of study time then a 30 day window to re-take the test if need be.
3) I will be apply to University of Pittsburgh Katz Business School

-Cody

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:22 am
Hi Cody,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so the fact that you planned far enough ahead to give yourself that study time was a smart move. In addition, your score goal is relatively modest (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). As such, I think that you've put yourself in a good position to accomplish these goals. This whole process will still take plenty of time and effort though, so you'll have to plan your studies accordingly and put in the necessary work.

Rich

by cody.fierst » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:42 am
Rich,

I just finished taking the first practice test using the gmatprep software on mba.com and I hate to say that it did not go as well as I was hoping, ha. See my scores below.

Integrated reasoning. Scaled score 2
Quantitative. Scaled score 9
Verbal. Scaled score 19
Total 300

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:26 pm
Hi Cody,

Many Test Takers are unhappy with their initial practice scores, but you really shouldn't be. That score is just a measure of your skills right now - and there's a good chance that you'll earn back some easy points once you re-familiarize yourself with some of the concepts that are tested. That having been said, to hit your score goal, you'll need to raise this score 300 points - and THAT will take some serious effort.

1) Did you fully complete all of the sections or did you leave any questions unanswered?
2) What time of day did you take this CAT?

Rich

by cody.fierst » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:10 am
Rich,

I did not fully complete one of the sections, it was the section right after the argument essay questuon. It was 14 questions and I ran out of time after 8 of them. I took the test around 1030am.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:57 am
Hi Cody,

Many Test Takers find the Integrated Reasoning section to be challenging, so you're not alone. As you continue to study, there are a couple of things to remember about the Test in general (and about IR in particular):

1) You need to make sure to answer every question in each section, even if you're just taking a guess.
2) Many Business Schools have stated that they do not factor an applicant's IR score into the application review process (even though IR has been around for 4 years), so you likely have little to worry about when it comes to this section. Thus, you shouldn't allow yourself to get 'bogged down' by any of the prompts. If you come across something that's too difficult/weird, then just take a guess and move on.

Given your score improvement needs, have you considered investing in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led)?

Rich

by cody.fierst » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:00 am
I would love tof have some type of tutor to help me along the process, or even a daily curriculum for the next 90 days. Anything you recommend?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:23 am
Hi Cody,

While you will certainly have to study a great deal over the next few months, you shouldn't expect to study every day (I generally advise that GMATers take one day "off" per week) - so a daily study routine wouldn't be practical. In addition, tutors tend to be most effective once you've studied for a bit and defined some of your 'weak spots' (so the Tutor can help you to improve in those select areas). When I brought up the idea of the GMAT Course, I ultimately mean the type of Program that would teach you the content, Tactics, patterns and little 'secrets' to the GMAT (so you wouldn't have to try to discover all of that on your own by just working through lots of practice questions). Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

Rich

by cody.fierst » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:38 pm
Rich,

After doing skme.some research, I have decided on going with empowergmat for my study needs. Do you happen to have a coupon code I could use for purchasing the 3 month package option?

Thank you,
Cody

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:37 pm
Hi Cody,

There's a specific discount code that we offer through BeatTheGMAT that can be found here:

https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/empowergmat

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

by chandrakala@collegesearch » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:08 am
Hi Cody,

Preparing for GMAT is a tough exercise and investing about 3 months would require you to go by a structured plan. Practice is key to acing exams like GMAT. Invest about one month to identify a clear strategy that would work for you. Keep reviewing your mistakes after every test and give sufficient gap between them. In your second month, engage in drills for every question. Have an exhaustive question bank to solve for every section and keep practicing. Monitor your progress for every section. Identify your weak areas in the second month to prioritize and improve on them.Look up preparatory videos and get your doubts clarified on forums. All the best for GMAT.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:14 pm
Hi Cody,

Getting to this party a little late.

Wanted state the obvious and throw into the mix that a 300 to a 500 - 600 is a big leap, considering your starting score when just 'taking' this test, is 200.

It's highly possible that you'll be able to increase quickly up to a 500 with just fortifying foundation skills, but less easy to improve beyond that without direct support from a private tutor (it seems you've got your plan ironed out right now).

Also, I highly recommend instead of studying things first, that you do the following:

1) Identify what types of questions you're getting correct now. Are you sure you understand WHY you're getting these things correct?
2) Beyond content mastery, do you need to improve strategy - - how you answer questions in the way the test rewards, including studying smart rather than hard.
3) How is your mindset? Do you feel centered, calm and focused? In this state, you're likely to be on your best game. Can you enter this state when you take the test? If not, I recommend you explore ways TO get into that state to maximize your score and minimize your stress.

Feel free if you need more specific support, and good luck!
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c