Pre-MBA salary = warning flag?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Pre-MBA salary = warning flag?

by xultima » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:49 pm
I'm wondering if I'd be held back at HBS/GSB for "low" pay that might indicate that I haven't had phenomenal impact.

At an F100, started as an intern @ $17 an hour (extrapolates to ~40k a year) while in school... at this point I'm pulling just under 70 base with about 7-10k bonus and around 15k perks (401k + pension + tuition assistance) for a 40ish hour week with OT paid if I go over (just the culture here). I passed up a promotion/opportunity to job hop by doing an MS part time (would've expected around 90k base + bonus). I've had two admittedly minor title changes (Analyst/Intern -> Sr. Analyst -> Lead Coordinator).

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:59 pm
Thanks for sharing.

Your salary figures is not likely to be a red flag. Applicants would do well to show how responsibilities have grown, showing leadership/teamwork abilities, along with scale of achievements or skills gained.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

by Indradeep1click » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:28 am
Hi,
Your pay is a combination of multiple factors - achievement and promotion being few of those factors as well as career choices.
The fact that you have had promotions will hold you in nice stead - I am quite confident that, with the right focus, you would be able to get the adcom's attention and demonstrate progression.
Hope this helps,
Indy[/quote]