Practice Test Low Score -- Worried!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Practice Test Low Score -- Worried!

by ralph2300 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:52 pm
I have been scoring in the mid 500's on my practice tests. I have taken 2. I am scheduled to take the test in 2 weeks but my practice tests are well below my target score. Should I reschedule?

My worry is taking the test and receiving a bad score just for the sake of going through the experience of taking a official exam. How close should I be on my practice tests to my target score? I don't want to have on my record 2 or 3 tests taken (even though schools take the higher score) if I am not close to my target score.

Thoughts?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:53 pm
Hi ralph2300,

If you're not scoring close to your goal score, then pushing back your Test Date would be a good idea (at the very least you would save some money). Before I can offer you specific advice on how to improve, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ralph2300 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:12 am
Thanks! That would be great.

1) Ive been studying for about 3 months
2) Ive been using Veritas Prep. I took a class and ive been reading the books
3) Practice Test 1: 460; Test 2: 500; Test 3: 520

4) 700-720
5) Im planning to apply in April
6) UCLA FEMBA program

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:23 pm
Hi ralph2300,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 3 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (+/- a few points). Right now, your current skill level is right around 490-500 (with a "lower end" of 460 and a "higher end" of 520). These scores show that you're essentially dealing with the Test in the same way every time. Raising these scores to a consistent 700+ will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study with a focus on learning and practicing the proper Tactics.

1) What type of study routine do you follow each week?
2) When you take a CAT, do you have trouble finishing any of the sections (and do you have to guess on a bunch of questions just to finish?)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:20 pm
Ralph.

Worry. Never does anyone any good. :)

So let's strategize here. What is the actual breakdown of your performance (Q/V) and within those sets...where are you not performing how you think you should? Be specific. And within that specificity - - are you seeing any patterns, (ie. your'e not getting verb/noun agreements correct, or you're not including the right degrees in calculating that right triangle question)...

Next, identify any high yield topics -- focus on them. With time of the essence I suggest you go this route. I've seen people improve...overnight. But you need to target what's going on and get the content mastery, test taking strategy or mindset down to have an impact. And so yeah, ditching the worry is the first hurdle. Did that? good. now onto the next piece.

Whatever you are scoring now and up to test date...is how you're going to score. Or about 30+/-....Depending on the applications due dates, your other commitments, how you're able or not able to study beyond today, knowing what your next direction is IN studying....consider....what the most effective and efficient...plan is to get the trifecta (content/strategy/mindset) up to snuff.

So: what's next?

Let us know how you do.
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c