Official Guide versus Manhattan CAT

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Official Guide versus Manhattan CAT

by goncaljj » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:01 pm
I found the problems in the official (11th edition) GMAT book easy to do, and I did all of them with rather ease, whereas when trying the first Manhattan CAT, I got stuck with questions much harder and way more time consuming...

... so this frustrating CAT experience got me wondering which one (11th edition versus Manhattan) will resemble more the real GMAT?

Thanks,

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:20 am
Hi goncaljj,

The problems in the Official Guide are going to be more accurate simply for the fact that these problems are retired questions that were once featured on real GMAT exams. ManhattanGMAT CATs attempt to mimic the feel of the GMAT, so that you'll be able to receive the most accurate practice possible. However, since we're not in charge of making the actual test, some questions in the CAT pool may be slightly different in nature than those tested on a real exam. However, we do feel like we do an accurate job, especially since we constantly refine and tweak problems to ensure accuracy. Hence, I'm more inclined to believe that you took a Practice Exam that gave you questions that were at your difficulty level, which was above the level of questions you completed in the Official Guides.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by goncaljj » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:21 am
Hi Michael,

When solving the PS/DS MGMAT CAT's I had an array of questions in the 700-800 level, consecutively (as per the final report) even though I got several wrong back to back; at the end I saw only 6 or 7 out of 37 questions in the 600-700 level and the rest in the 700-800.

Why is the majority of the questions in this difficulty range and why is the CAT not adaptive in the sense that, after several 700-800 questions wrong, the exam should have prompted me to the next easier level, whcih did not happen in either of the two CAT MGMAT tests I've taken so far?

Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:23 am
Hi goncaljj,

The CAT results do not differentiate between a high 700 - 800 level question and a low 700 - 800 level question despite the fact that the actual programming behind the practice exams take this into account. Hence, you most likely got a high 700 - 800 level question followed up with a low 700 - 800 level question. Then, when you dipped down into the 600 - 700 level, you got bounced back up into the 700 - 800 level.

The reason why we list a score range as opposed to the actual score you are testing at is to take emphasis off the score you receive at the end of the exam. You should never place too much emphasis into your score on any practice test. Instead, use these tests to gauge your weaknesses and build off of them. This will prepare you better for the GMAT than worry about the specific scoring mechanics behind various practice tests. Yes, it's a bit of a leap of faith since you can never really have an accurate measure of your performance on the exam, but it's necessary to doing well on the test.

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628