Chances of admission at top schools...

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Chances of admission at top schools...

by Stockmoose16 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:30 pm
Hello,

Can you give me your evaluation on my chances of getting into Harvard, UCLA, Duke, Stanford, UT-Austin, and USC?

Here's my profile:

Bio:
-Male
-Caucasian
-27 y/o
-Residing in Los Angeles

Undergrad:
-Syracuse University '03
-GPA: 3.97 (double major in Television, Radio, Film and Finance)
-Valedictorian/Class Marshal/Commencement speaker
-Summa Cum Laude
-Dean's Scholar every semester in both schools
-Finalist, Ball State University National Business Plan Competition
-Studied abroad in London for a semester

GMAT:
-690 (44Q/41V)

Job experience:
- 5 years working in scripted television as writers' assistant (Los Angeles)
-Worked on a few of hit TV shows: "Will & Grace," "The Starter Wife," "What I Like about You"

I'm concerned that my low GMAT combined with my unusual work experience will hurt me. Will Adcoms understand that working in scripted television means spending years at the assistant level, doing menial tasks such as answering phones, making binders, and updating calendars?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

TV Script Writer

by Eliot » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:59 pm
Stockmoose16,

Thanks for your note. I am very impressed with your very strong college grades. You clearly performed exceptionally well in college. While your 690 GMAT score is a bit below average for the top schools, I don't think that you need to retake it based on the strength of your college grades. (Of course, if you are capable of getting a 710+, that would make you even more competitive.)

I am actually more focused on your work experience. As a TV script assistant writer for leading TV shows, you will really stand out from the many bankers, consultants and engineers who apply to business school. The key will be to show an upward trajectory in roles/responsibility, even if your title hasn't changed. For example, while it is fine to have done some menial work in your first few years, I assume that you are doing more substantive work now - writing key sections of active TV shows. If your level of responsibility, title and salary hasn't changed much over the 5 years, that would be an issue. Essentially, your chances of gaining admission to top schools really hinge on your ability to show an upward trajectory in your career.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.