How do you handle difficult vocabularies in RC?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
I've been taking Kaplan practice exams and I am excited to see the gain in scores, but not satisfied. After reviewing my strength and weakness, I realized that my scores for RC has been dropping like flies.

I keep getting stuck with difficult vocabularies and spend too much time trying to figure out the definition of the word. Since it's timed test, I find myself panicking and starting to lose focus on the whole theme of the passage. Although I do lack in some vocabularies, I'm referring to these scientific to non-everyday use words. When the passage starts to discuss EMP, MMP for certain brain function.. blah blah blah.. then I find myself keep going back to the same sentence and asking myself, "WHAT?"

How do you manage that? I've tried notes and it didn't help TOO much answering questions. Any suggestions? when you find yourself with some strange science topic, how do you manage to keep your focus on the passage with non-familiar vocabs?

as always, thanks for your inputs guys.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:53 pm
Unlike GRE, GMAT test doesn't require you to have high vocab.
The key to tackle RC is not in reading EACH word of the passage but reading a paragraph at once.

I find GMAT passages funny yeah I sometimes doubt whether they are in English. & I get depression attack when I realise that indeed it's in English but I couldn't understand what's the whole passage all about! :shock:

Yeah it happens all the time, but that's the trick. We have to ignore all those scientific & technical words. We should skip such words immediately assuming some term for it; it doesn't matter. GMAT certainly donot expect you to be familiar with words such as schizophrenia etc. These are technical words & only people from that field (& GRE students ? :lol: ) are expected to know their meaning.