Difference between Manhattan Review and Manhattan GMAT?

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Manhattan GMAT and Manhattan Review -- Are these two seperate institutions?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:13 am
Hi prees20,

Indeed. Manhattan GMAT and Manhattan Review are completely separate test prep companies.

Manhattan Review has the Turbocharge Test Prep Books (they sell the guide and solutions separately) and an 8-Session Course.

By comparison, Manhattan GMAT is responsible for creating the 8 Strategy Guides, which include the well-reviewed Sentence Correction Manual, and offers 9-Session Courses.

This may be confusing because people oftentimes refer to Manhattan GMAT simply as "Manhattan" or "MGMAT". If you are ever confused about the review someone provides online, always ask for clarification regarding which test prep company they are talking about, especially because Manhattan GMAT offers its students an exceedingly different, content-oriented approach to the test.
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello! First time poster here and just starting to prepare for the GMATs. I would like to take a long course in NYC to set up the best foundation and provide me with some dedicated time for study since I work full-time. I am deciding between Manhattan GMAT and Manhattan Review, but I can not find any objective comparisons on the two. Has used Manhattan Review? Pros/cons?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:24 pm
Hi meladoriem,

Well, while I can't say much about Manhattan Review, I can tell you about what makes ManhatanGMAT different from the rest of the test prep companies.

First, we have a singular focus. We teach only the GMAT, and because of this, we can dedicate more resources to understanding and dissecting the exam.

Second, we have a content-based curriculum that teaches you everything from foundational to advanced concepts on the GMAT. While we do teach tips and tricks such as backsolving, we do not make these the centerpieces of our curriculum, unlike other GMAT courses.

Finally, we hire the best Instructors by paying them $100/hour. With pay this high, we can afford to be picky, so we require that all applicants have a 99th percentile score and previous teaching experience. If they pass a phone interview, they come in for an in-person audition. Only 1 in 5 99th percentile applicants traditionally get past this point. Then, each Instructor must go through at least 100 hours of training on our curriculum before they get to teach. Even then, they need to consistently meet high standards in the classroom in order to stay on as an Instructor.

I hope this provides you with a good summary of our company. If you are interested in a prep course, you can find more information on our website: https://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-prep- ... w-york.cfm . Keep in mind that each course comes with our 8 Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides for content mastery, 3 Official Guides for practice questions, a Test Simulation Booklet and Marker for practice testing, and many online resources that include 6 simulated GMAT exams.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach me at the e-mail address below.

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628