CR 1000 :LSAT - Test 2 - Section 2

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

CR 1000 :LSAT - Test 2 - Section 2

by marepally » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:50 pm
Hi,
I got the following questions wrong in the CR1000 LSAT Test. Can anyone explain correct answers?

Section LSAT - Test 2 - Section 2:

5. A gas tax of one cent per gallon would raise one billion dollars per year at current consumption rates. Since a tax of fifty cents per gallon would therefore raise fifty billion dollars per year, it seems a perfect way to deal with the federal budget deficit. This tax would have the additional advantage that the resulting drop in the demand for gasoline would be ecologically sound and would keep our country from being too dependent on foreign oil producers.
Which one of the following most clearly identifies an error in the author’s reasoning?
(A) The author cites irrelevant data.
(B) The author relies on incorrect current consumption figures.
(C) The author makes incompatible assumptions.
(D) The author mistakes an effect for a cause.
(E) The author appeals to conscience rather than reason. (Answer: C)

7. There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be officially confirmed before being published. There is a system in place for the confirmation or disconfirmation of scientific finding, namely, the replication of results by other scientists. Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientist, which can include anything from careless reporting practices to fraud, is not harmful. It will be exposed and rendered harmless when other scientists conduct the experiments and obtain disconfirmatory results.
Which one of the following, if true, would weaken the argument?
(A) Scientific experiments can go unchallenged for many years before they are replicated.
(B) Most scientists work in universities, where their work is submitted to peer review before publication.
(C) Most scientists are under pressure to make their work accessible to the scrutiny of replication.
(D) In scientific experiments, careless reporting is more common than fraud.
(E) Most scientists work as part of a team rather than alone. (Answer : A)

11. “If the forest continues to disappear at its present pace, the koala will approach extinction,” said the biologist.
“So all that is needed to save the koala is to stop deforestation,” said the politician.
Which one of the following statements is consistent with the biologist’s claim but not with the politician’s claim?
(A) Deforestation continues and the koala becomes extinct.
(B) Deforestation is stopped and the koala becomes extinct.
(C) Reforestation begins and the koala survives.
(D) Deforestation is slowed and the koala survives.
(E) Deforestation is slowed and the koala approaches extinction. (Answer : B)

12. People have long been fascinated by the paranormal. Over the years, numerous researchers have investigated telepathy only to find that conclusive evidence for its existence has persistently evaded them. Despite this, there are still those who believe that there must be “something in it” since some research seems to support the view that telepathy exist. However, it can often be shown that other explanations that do comply with known laws can be given. Therefore, it is premature to conclude that telepathy is an alternative means of communication.
In the passage, the author
(A) supports the conclusion by pointing to the inadequacy of evidence for the opposite view
(B) supports the conclusion by describing particular experiments
(C) supports the conclusion by overgeneralizing from a specific piece of evidence
(D) draws a conclusion that is not supported by the premises
(E) rephrases the conclusion without offering any support for it (Answer : A)

Thanks,
Srikanth

reply...

by lan0583 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:54 am
5. The author assumed that the increase in tax will decrease the demand of gas. It doesn not follow that when gas tax increases, demand for gas decreases.

11. The author assumed that the only reason to stop the extinction of koala is to stop deforstation. Again, it does not follow. maybe there are other reasons why koalas extinct.

with the other two questions, it's hard to explain but I got the point on the answers.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

problem....

by aim-wsc » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:49 am
indeed its hard to explain the answers.

i promise i ll try to explain the other answers but
before that , lan0853,

can you once again explain the answer of [11]?
may be with some detail...
may be point by point why not A/ C/ D/ E but B?

by rocky » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:31 pm
I think for No. 11 , D should be the Answer as question says about the pace and if the pace is slowed , koala should be saved from the extinction.

Can anyone tell me what is the reliability of the answers in 1000 CR

I am becoming skeptic about it sometimes......
Getting into it

by LEMAGICIEN » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:11 am
Hey,
Could someone send me the LSAT materials at the following address: [email protected].
Thanksa lot
ALEXANDRE N'DJORE

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by sumithshah » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:55 pm
@ LEMAGICIEN : the material is TOO big to send via email.

Download it from esnips.com