differnce between in contrast with and contrast to

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
1.Contrary to popular belief, victors in the ancient Greek Olympic Games received cash prizes in addition to their laurel wreaths.
(A) Contrary to
(B) In contrast with
(C) Opposite of
(D) Unlike(A)
(E) In spite of

OA B

was stuck between A and B option, can anyone tell me the difference in contrast with and contrast to ???/

Vishu

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by augusto » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:07 pm
Taken from the Dictionary of American Idioms And Phrasal Verbs (McGraw-Hill)

contrary to something
in spite of something that seems to suggest otherwise; regardless of something else. · Contrary to what you might think, I am neat and tidy. · Contrary to public opinion, my uncle is well and healthy.

contrast with someone or something
1. to be different from someone or something. ·Bill’s cheery attitude really contrasts with the gloom of his twin brother, Bob. ·This stiped tie really contrasts with that polka-dot shirt. 2. [for a color or pattern, etc.] to show a marked difference with or complement another. ·The black one contrasts nicely with the white one.

From where did you take that question? Because I with these definitions I would choose A.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sam98034 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:10 pm
I think it has to be A.

Contrast is...this is balck...while this is white.
Contrary is...this is black...it's not black.

Contrary to the belief that they recieved no cash prizes, they did recieve cash.

Contrast is more like....

In contrast with popular belief that victors in the ancient Greek Olympic Games received cash prizes in addition to their laurel wreaths is the belief that they recieved a hardy hand shake and a pat on the back in addition to the wreaths.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by AlexBee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:51 am
Please explain why not E

Thanks!

Followed by:2 members

by abhi0697 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:33 am
vishubn wrote:1.Contrary to popular belief, victors in the ancient Greek Olympic Games received cash prizes in addition to their laurel wreaths.
(A) Contrary to
(B) In contrast with
(C) Opposite of
(D) Unlike(A)
(E) In spite of

OA B

was stuck between A and B option, can anyone tell me the difference in contrast with and contrast to ???/

Vishu
This is related to Idiom. e.g., "compare to" is used when it is the case of similarity, and "compare with" is used when it is the case of differences. Here it is the case of differences, so the correct answer should be B

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by onlytahseen » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:34 am
This is a typical example where wrong answer has been posted as OA and people would provide explanation for that also. Sad. OA is A and that seems correct too. Contrary to X, Y.
B - 'In contrast with' - here popular beliefs is compared with victors. This is wrong. Noun must be compared with victors.
C - 'Opposite to' is the correct idiom.
D - Unlike - here popular beliefs is compared with victors. This is wrong. Noun must be compared with victors.
E - 'In spite of' changes the meaning.

by rohit56 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:21 am
) "Contrary to" is used for elucidating something that is actually correct but is perceived differently by others. It is not used to compare two similar or different things but to simply state a fact that is contrary to the belief. For example: Contrary to the teacher's perception, Jack is a bright child.
Hence, A is the perfect choice for the case at hand.
"Unlike" or "In contrast with" are used for showing difference between two similar things. Hence, B and D are wrong.
C and E are silly.
Hence, A is the answer.