Please evaluate my profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate my profile

by bewakoof » Fri May 19, 2006 1:16 pm
Hi..
Could you please provide your insights.. I have been getting a lot of mixed responses and its very confusing!!!

Background: Born in small village in India. Moved to Nepal when I was a yr old. Did all my schooling in Nepal. I come from a very poor family and no one is educated so me completing high school was a big deal. (My dad’s studied the highest-8th grade). When I was starting my high school, dad started his own business and wanted me to be part of it. I helped him out for 2 yrs and then decided I need to study more. (I was a good student and my teachers were the one encouraged me to go to college). Now I wanted to get at least a college degree. Apart from working for my dad I used to work in small software firm in Nepal (ITNTI) as an administrative assistant. This is where I was introduced to computers and was fascinated by it. I decided I wanted to study further in computers but my family wanted me to look after the family business. I fought hard and when my dad didn’t give in, I pretty much got kicked out of the house. I got my visa, had saved enough money for my first semester and started my college. After leaving home I regretted leaving my family and understood their value. It was too late to go back but I started helping them from US. In my second yr. In college I went to China with my dad for a major expansion of his business. He has moved from selling on the streets with me to managing 6 stores and an office in China.

Education and Work Experience: I graduated with Computer Science (major) and Math minor from State University(Minnesota) GPA: 3.97 at age of 19. Got my internship at a big law firm and thus a full time job. I am 22 yrs old now and have been working in same company for 2 yrs and 3 months. I got promoted to Sr. Software Test Engineer from Software Test Eng this last Friday. It was a big achievement since to get to a senior level it takes you an average of 5 years. My leadership in different projects and excellent work-ethics resulted in my promotion..
By the time I apply (fall'07), I will have 3 and half yrs of work experience and will be 23 yrs old. Throughout the college I took 16-18 credits and worked 20 hrs a week. I have worked in various jobs from janitor (my first job) to Senior Student Supervisor at computer lab (supervised group of 10-12 students). I took my GMAT on April 10th and scored 660. 47 Q (82%) 35 V (76%) AWA (6.0) ..

Community Involvement: Apart from getting various academic scholarships in my college, I also was chosen for International Endowment scholarship. This scholarship is given to a selected group of students who demonstrate excellent academic performance and are very involved with community. I was the Secretary of International Student Association in my college (700 Int’l students) and the community RHA representative. Now I am involved in various other organizations in twin-cities(Minneapolis-St.Paul) area. I am Social Chair for Asian Heritage Employee Resource Group (twin cities), Fund Raising Chair (Network of Indian Professionals, ), and Point Person of Diversity Planning Committee (twin cities). To be honest I am not the typical quiet IT professional. I am a social bug, life of the party and all together have a very different kind of personality. I don’t think my current job suits my personality of sitting at one place and coding. I am the social activities coordinator for my current group :p

Why I want my MBA and why now?
Why now? I think I am ready to get an MBA. I know I am young but I have had good work experience. By the time I get into college I will have 3 and half yrs of solid work experience and I think it is time for me to move on to next journey in my life.

Why I want my MBA or what do I want from my MBA?

I want to do my MBA in International Business. In future there is going to be demand of workers/managers who are trained to work globally. As Microsoft/Dell/ Infosys are going global they would need managers who can cope and have understanding of various work environments. I having seen lot of the world and being able to speak 4 languages fluently see myself as a perfect fit for such positions. I want to be that bridge between American culture and Indian culture. Eventually I would like to start my own business in Nepal or may be expand my dad’s business and bring dad’s business to America.
In the long run I would like to open up schools to educate kids in Nepal. I think illiteracy is the biggest concern in Nepal and if Nepal were to get out of this crisis we would need to educate future generation.

Other activites/Sports: I was the captain of school cricket team. I play in the Minnesota Club Cricket league. I have been practicing tae-kwondo for over a year now and am a green belt. Also to make my application stronger I am planning to take some business class in local university. This semsester I took Macro Econ and am pretty sure of getting an A in class. I am planning on taking micro econ and a finance class in fall.

1. What are my chances at UCLA, Berkley, Duke, Ross, UNC and yes my dream school (Stanford).. You think I am aiming too high?? What other schools would you suggest??
2. Is 3 and half yrs of work experience on the lower side??
3. Do you think I should consider retaking my GMAT?
4. What schools do you think should fit best as safety schools?
5. What do you think is my biggest weakness?

Thanks a bunch in advance! Also can i be stereotyped as southasian/male/IT professional?? From my point of view I see myself miles and miles away from them but what do you think??!?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sat May 20, 2006 8:52 am
1) I think you have a very good chance of being admitted to several of the schools that you listed. While it all depends on how you execute your application, from what you have told me, you have the raw materials to be successful with this group of schools. I do not believe that you are aiming too high. To suggest additional schools, I would need more information about what you are looking for in a school. That said, I think you have put together a very well rounded list, and there is not really a need to add to it.
2) 3.5 years is below average, but depending on your maturity, the quality of your experience and your focus, it should be more than enough for any of your target schools.
3) If you believe that you can raise your score and it will not be a waste of time to retake, you will benefit from raising your score to at least a 680. Obviously, the higher the better.
4) There are many, many schools that are not as competitive as the ones that you listed. If you want a true safety school, you should select 1-2 that are less competitive and have lower average scores, but that you feel you would be happy with.
5) Biggest challenges will be:
- GMAT score
- degree from non-brand name school
- highlighting leadership and "business school relevant" experiences from your career in engineering
- developing a highly focused, interesting story that allows your unique profile to shine through

I do not see any of these an insurmountable, but are areas that you will want to pay particular attention to as you develop your application.

Good luck! I wish you much success.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

by bewakoof » Tue May 23, 2006 12:46 pm
Thanks a lot Stacy. Yes I do think I have potential to raise my GMAT score. I had a bad day in Quant and thus a lower score.

I was thinking of visiting schools, conducting interviews, preparing my application and when all is done, give GMAT one more shot..

Schools that are not as competitive but still good?? Purdue, Carlson and maybe UTA.. What do you think?!?

I am looking for General Management/International Exposure/collaborative work environment from my business school. I am an enterprenuer at heart so in long run I would like to expand my dad's business to USA.

thanks again

I read your blog.. very very interesting and lot of info..

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Tue May 23, 2006 12:52 pm
Based on your criteria, some other schools you may want to consider are Georgetown, USC and Emory.

Glad you are finding the blog to be useful!
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

by bewakoof » Tue May 23, 2006 1:06 pm
Stacy Blackman wrote:Based on your criteria, some other schools you may want to consider are Georgetown, USC and Emory.

Glad you are finding the blog to be useful!
woah.. that was fast.. :p

yes I have been looking at USC very closely and has found it very interesting. Emory just doesn't excite me.. I will look more into Georgetown..

I have started reading archives and student blogs from your main page. It's interesting to read other people's experience and then you can identify yourself in their shoes.. feel their happiness/sorrows.. :p

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

excuse me

by aim-wsc » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:39 am
Sorry to interfere in your forum, madam Stacy,

but i really couldnt resist to comment on this boy's profile.

dear bewakoof,
first of all why do you call yourself bewakoof?
i am sure thats not your true name.

you should feel proud of yourself and you should not call yourself by that name.

Anyway.

i m very impressed by your life journey & your profile.

you have seen the world. and you are still 22 years old, you have a bright future ahead.

you are focused and may be thats why you scored 6 points in AWA.
i am sure you would wirte good essays in your applications just like the way you hv put your profile here.

go for your dream college. you hv plenty of years ahead to try...

God bless you.

Re: excuse me

by bewakoof » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:33 pm
aim-wsc wrote:Sorry to interfere in your forum, madam Stacy,

but i really couldnt resist to comment on this boy's profile.

dear bewakoof,
first of all why do you call yourself bewakoof?
i am sure thats not your true name.

you should feel proud of yourself and you should not call yourself by that name.

Anyway.

i m very impressed by your life journey & your profile.

you have seen the world. and you are still 22 years old, you have a bright future ahead.

you are focused and may be thats why you scored 6 points in AWA.
i am sure you would wirte good essays in your applications just like the way you hv put your profile here.

go for your dream college. you hv plenty of years ahead to try...

God bless you.
thanks for your kind reply.... bewakoof is just for fun.. good memories behind it..

Yah.. i know what you are saying by that I have plenty of years ahead of me but again I think I am very ready for the business school. I am ready for the responsibilites and and for my next career step..