50%
41%
5%
2%
2%
2%

Total votes: 66

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
“It is unrealistic to expect individual nations to make, independently, the sacrifices necessary to conserve energy. International leadership and worldwide cooperation are essential if we expect to protect the world’s energy resources for future generations.”

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

The issue of whether to have a global consensus on energy conservation or not is a controversial one. On the one hand, achieving a global consensus is a cumbersome task because it involves sacrificing national interests to some extent. On the other hand expecting individual sacrifices on the part of nations will hamper their competitiveness in the international market. However in the final analysis of this issue I believe that a global consensus is essential in order to conserve the world’s energy sources.

The chief reason for my view is that in today’s world development is impossible without cooperation. If countries of Middle East region are rich in non renewable energy resources like oil than countries like USA and France are rich in renewable energy resources like nuclear energy. Without cooperation among various countries sustained development is not possible. When countries like India fail to satisfy their energy needs on their own, they are dependent on oil and gas from Middle East. Further when technologically starved nations like Bhutan and Myanmar want to harness their renewable energy sources, they are dependent on India for technical support.

Another reason for my opinion is that it is unfair to expect individual nations to make sacrifices necessary to conserve energy. If a country like US has the highest per capita energy consumption, then it is completely unfair to put the burden of reducing the energy consumption on US alone. The industrial development and the living standards in developed societies require higher energy consumption. On the other hand if this burden is placed on developing countries like India and China, they will lose their competitive edge.

Global cooperation in energy conservation will lead to a fair share in the pie for everyone. The developed countries like US can use their technological and scientific advancement to harness new energy sources and to develop more efficient techniques, and they can share the new advances with the developing world. This will led to energy conservation on a global level. Further, associations like G8 should take the initiative in this direction since they have the money and technological edge to make it possible.

In sum, I can concur that although it is not unfair to expect some sacrifice on the part of developed nations, International leadership and global cooperation are essential to conserve world’s energy resources.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:08 am
Great job! You've approached this essay perfectly and cited excellent examples. I'll give you a 6.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Thanks

by dhanda.arun » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:53 am
Hey Jim,
Thanks a lot ... :lol:

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by missionmba » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Hi,

Great work!

I too agree its a gr8 essay. No doubt.

If i am not worng dhanda.arun has used the princeton's template for Issue essay.
just one question,
the book says not to use the exact template. I was wondering if i use this template on the real GMAT what will happen? Will they straight away reject my eaasy and give zero or will they deduct some marks for using the princeton template?
and in case if they deduct marks then how much will it hurt the AWM score?
Mission Mba

Everyone has a will to win but very few have the will to prepare to win

by kvamsy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:23 am
Hi ,

Essay written by you was great.

But Can I suggest one more thing overall theme is saying only US and India and china.

Why did you chose only US .For example Developed nation like US as you mentioned is consuming more energy day to day but if you look at the situation in Denmark they have reduced overall consumption of oil and Gas by 75% but why not is the same happening in US.
Developing nations like India and china will utilize more energy but If you can suggest how can we resolve the issue by imposing some techniques used by denmark to the world and will show is the best example to protect out energy resources and you are saying that India require large amount of oil or energy resources (Examples : why cant we utilize them by using solar energy and the same to whole world as well and arrange wind machines in coastal areas as we have large amount of coastal area)).

Please let me know if this fine or not?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by gmatosaurus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:03 pm
gr8 work...
although not possible under gmat scenario but wud give u a 5.5 :)
gmatosaurus is carnivorus

by bhabani » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:49 am
The issue of whether to have a global consensus on energy conservation or not is a controversial one.

isnt this gramatically error sentence.
I think whether or not is gramatically wrong.

it should be :
The issue of whether to have a global consensus on energy conservation is a controversial one.

one small error which I noticed in the essay

by Sanjai » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:24 am
hi.. mate thats a brilliantly written essay...

but i just couldn't help noticing one error which i thought was indeed glaring...if i may...

the line where you mentioned that renewable resource of energy and gave an example as nuclear energy....doesn't go too well. Nuclear energy is definitely NOT a renewable source of energy. But apart from that the essay really is more than competitive.

Kudos to you mate.

regards,
Sanjai

by benjaminvw » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:50 pm
"On the other hand expecting individual sacrifices on the part of nations will hamper their competitiveness in the international market."

Expecting sacrifices won't hamper anything, the sacrifices themselves will. Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but it jumped out at me.
Benjaminvw

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by mmslf75 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:28 am
good essay 5.5

"LIKE" is used to cite examples ;-)

I guess GMAT prefers SUCH AS for citing examples

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by sandeep800 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:12 pm
i will give 5.5..good essay
A body of clay, a mind full of play, a moment's life - that is me!!!

by pranav2011 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:07 am
I will be grateful if someone can review this. This is the first essay that I have written :)-

Thanks in advance

I completely endorse the view that International leadership and worldwide cooperation are essential if we expect to protect precious energy resources for future generations.

Take the case of emissions of green house gases and global warming. United States of America being the sole superpower in the world has to take on the responsibility to cut its green house gas emissions by a substantial margin in order to mitigate the risks posed by global warming. Even though emerging superpowers such as China and India are responsible for a signification percentage of global green house gas emissions, these countries have no option in this matter since they are transitioning from a developing economy to a developed once. During this transformation, the green house gas emissions will be huge. It is imperative that United States takes a leadership role in the fight against Global warming if it does not want to lose its moral authority.

Once the economies of countries such as China, Brazil and India have reached developed status, the United States of America can put rightful onus on these countries to cut down their greenhouse gas emissions. Very few countries are abiding by the Kyoto protocol. The US must seize the initiative and gather consensus from other countries for a new protocol which sets clear cut goals for reduction of the emission of green house gases.

Rich countries such as US, France and UK, etc must also pool significant resources for the advancement of renewable energy resources such as Biomass, Wind and Solar. They must provide huge subsidies and tax benefits to further advance the development and adoption of renewable energy resources. This will go a long way in protecting world's energy resources and in creating a greener and cleaner environment.

At an individual level, all of us remember that we owe allegiance not just to the countries of our birth but also to the world at large. We may be from different countries and speak different languages but we inhabit the same planet and must therefore work together in a spirit of bipartisanship when it comes to conserving energy resources for our future generations.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:38 am
Gr8 job.Your stand for the issue is impressive.I will rate you 5.5 for this.