Prep question

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Prep question

by jc114 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:15 pm
Mannis Corporation's archival records are stored in an obsolte format that is accessible only by its current computer system; thus they are inaccessible when that system is not functioning properly. IN order to avoid the possibility of losing access to their archival records in the case of computer malfunction, Mannis plans to replace its current computer system with a new system that stores records in a format that is acessible to several different systems.
The answer to which of the following questions would be the most helpful in evaluating the effectiveness of the plan as a means of retaining access to the archival records?

A. Will the new computer system require fewer operators than the current system requires?
B. Has Mannis Corp. always stored its archival records in a computerized format?
C. Will the new computer system that Mannis plans ensure greater security for the records stored than does Mannis' current system?
D. Will Mannis' current colection of archival records be readily transferable to the new computer system?
E. WIll the new computer system be able to perform many more tasks than the current system is able to perform?

==> I had a hard time between C and D and although I ended up choosing the correct answer, it was more of a guess.

Many state legislatures are considering proposals to the effect that certain policies should be determined not by the legislature itself but by public referenda in which every voter can take part. Critics of the proposals argue that the outcomes of public referenda groups are able to influence voter's view by means of television advertisements.
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the critic's argument?

A. Many state legislators regard public referenda as a way of avoiding voting on issues on which their constituents are divided.
B. During elections for members of the legislature, the number of people who vote is unaffected by whether the candidates run television advertisements or not.
C. Proponents of policies that are opposed by wealthy special-itnerest groups are unable to afford advertising time on local television stations.
D. Different special-interest groups often take opposing positions on questions of which policies the state should adopt.
E. Television stations are reluctant to become associated with any one political opinion, for fear of losing viewers who do not share that opinion.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: Prep question

by rajesh_ctm » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:18 pm
jc114 wrote:Mannis Corporation's archival records are stored in an obsolete format that is accessible only by its current computer system; thus they are inaccessible when that system is not functioning properly. IN order to avoid the possibility of losing access to their archival records in the case of computer malfunction, Mannis plans to replace its current computer system with a new system that stores records in a format that is acessible to several different systems.
The answer to which of the following questions would be the most helpful in evaluating the effectiveness of the plan as a means of retaining access to the archival records?

A. Will the new computer system require fewer operators than the current system requires?
B. Has Mannis Corp. always stored its archival records in a computerized format?
C. Will the new computer system that Mannis plans ensure greater security for the records stored than does Mannis' current system?
D. Will Mannis' current colection of archival records be readily transferable to the new computer system?
E. WIll the new computer system be able to perform many more tasks than the current system is able to perform?

==> I had a hard time between C and D and although I ended up choosing the correct answer, it was more of a guess.
As a decision maker in Mannis Corporation, you might feel all choices are relevant in making this decision, particularly A,C,D & E.
As a GMAT Test taker, you only know (and hence, care) about archival process. Number of operators, history, security and extra features are all out of scope. D is the only relevant option.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jaspetrovic » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:47 pm
On the 2nd argument, my vote goes to C, although I'm not so sure.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by 800GMAT » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:09 pm
jc114, In the second argument, the second sentence seems incomplete... can u pls check

by jc114 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:24 am
Oops, you're right..here it is again:

Many state legislatures are considering proposals to the effect that certain policies should be determined not by the legislature itself but by public referenda in which every voter can take part. Critics of the proposals argue that the outcomes of public referenda groups would be biased, since wealthy special-interest groups are able to influence voter's view by means of television advertisements.

A. Many state legislators regard public referenda as a way of avoiding voting on issues on which their constituents are divided.
B. During elections for members of the legislature, the number of people who vote is unaffected by whether the candidates run television advertisements or not.
C. Proponents of policies that are opposed by wealthy special-itnerest groups are unable to afford advertising time on local television stations.
D. Different special-interest groups often take opposing positions on questions of which policies the state should adopt.
E. Television stations are reluctant to become associated with any one political opinion, for fear of losing viewers who do not share that opinion.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by Cybermusings » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:50 am
Mannis Corporation's archival records are stored in an obsolte format that is accessible only by its current computer system; thus they are inaccessible when that system is not functioning properly. IN order to avoid the possibility of losing access to their archival records in the case of computer malfunction, Mannis plans to replace its current computer system with a new system that stores records in a format that is acessible to several different systems.

The main concern of the enterprise in shifting from the old system to the new system is to ensure the accessibility of the archival records. If the old archival records would be easily transferable to the new system, then it would make sense to retire the old system and move onto the new one, else it would defeat the very purpose of moving to a new system.

Hence according to me it should be D

Many state legislatures are considering proposals to the effect that certain policies should be determined not by the legislature itself but by public referenda in which every voter can take part. Critics of the proposals argue that the outcomes of public referenda groups are able to influence voter's view by means of television advertisements.

B & E oppose the critics view; hence discard
A; is not relevant

Between C and D, I think it should be C

by leo » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:57 am
I will choose C

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:07 pm
Agree on the first one - D. C is tempting but out of scope - what does "security" mean? The argument only talks about "access."

Also agree second is C. A is irrelevant - and neutral to the critics' argument. B weakens the critics' argument. D at least talks about "special-interest groups" but doesn't specifically say they are the "wealthy" ones - those are the ones the critics are concerned about - neutral at best, possibly weakens. E is also irrelevant - the concern is undue influence of wealthy groups, not what the TV stations think (although we know in the real world that a station could decline to play a political ad... that's outside info). Neutral at best, possibly weakens.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me