A major sports programming network

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:23 members

A major sports programming network

by BTGmoderatorDC » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:18 am
A major sports programming network experienced a drop in viewership in the week following the airing of a controversial ethnic slur used by one of its reporters. The network also received a very large number of complaints regarding the incident. The network, however, maintains that negative reactions to the offensive slur had nothing to do with its loss of viewers.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the network's position?

Correct answers are:
(A) The other major sports programming networks reported similar reductions in viewership during the same week.

(B) The viewers who registered complaints with the network were regular viewers of the sports programming network.

(C) Major sports programming networks publicly attribute drops in viewership to their own reports only when they receive complaints about those reports.
(D) This was not the first time that this sports programming network has aired a controversial ethnic slur that has inspired viewers to complain to the network.
(E) Most sports programming network viewers rely on sports network programming as their primary source of information regarding top American sports such as basketball and football

Please explain the best Option in this

OA A

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:39 am
lheiannie07 wrote:A major sports programming network experienced a drop in viewership in the week following the airing of a controversial ethnic slur used by one of its reporters. The network also received a very large number of complaints regarding the incident. The network, however, maintains that negative reactions to the offensive slur had nothing to do with its loss of viewers.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the network's position?

(A) The other major sports programming networks reported similar reductions in viewership during the same week.

(B) The viewers who registered complaints with the network were regular viewers of the sports programming network.

(C) Major sports programming networks publicly attribute drops in viewership to their own reports only when they receive complaints about those reports.

(D) This was not the first time that this sports programming network has aired a controversial ethnic slur that has inspired viewers to complain to the network.

(E) Most sports programming network viewers rely on sports network programming as their primary source of information regarding top American sports such as basketball and football
Conclusion: The slur at the major network was not responsible for the major network's loss of viewers.

A: The other major sports programming networks reported similar reductions in viewership during the same week.
Here, OTHER networks also lost viewers, supporting the conclusion that the slur at the major network was not responsible for the major network's loss of viewers.

The correct answer is A.

The CR above is virtually the same as the following official CR:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/a-major-netw ... 86100.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3