No votes
No votes

Total votes: 6

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Analysis of issue - Please rate

by mehravikas » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:36 am
Analysis of issue

The best teachers are those whose classes include a large amount of discussion between teachers and students
Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

Response

Whether teachers who include a large amount of discussion in the classes are the best teachers depends on a variety of factors. In my view, discussion is a key ingredient in getting the best out of the students. Discussion between teachers and students not only helps to create a friendly environment but also helps students to gain more confidence.

The main reason for my view is, there are students of all levels in a large class starting from excellent to average to below average students. Discussion helps teachers to evaluate categorise students so that teachers can pay more attention to students who require more nurturing. For example, survey conducted by Economic Times (India) had 48% of parents who felt that their children feel disengaged in the class because the teachers are only concerned with finishing the coursework, almost all the respondents agreed that by having more discussion in class would help the teachers evaluate students in a better way. Also, average and below average students often shy from speaking about their problems or talking to other students in the class, discussion would help to eliminate this problem. Finally teachers who promote discussion in the class are in a way helping students to learn from each other.

Another reason for my view is, discussion in classes is a continuous process in building the confidence in students to communicate effectively in front of others, which is one of the most important factors to be successful. Specifically, everyone in life has to put his ideas in the most efficient manner. Some very important words were once said by Infosys chairman, Mr. Murthy, “today you have to be more reactive instead of being active, to be successful you have to sell your ideas in more quickly than others”. Admittedly, discussion is nothing but building confidence in oneself.

In sum, I agree that discussion helps students to be confident and creates a healthy and friendly environment within a class. However, it should be balanced so that everyone gets a chance to put across his ideas; on balance discussion if properly maintained can do wonders to child’s future.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:520

hi

by Marika » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:39 am
hi,

I think u did good job . I rate your essay of issue 5.

I think u should add one paragraph before conclusion.

Something like this "Although some people mey argue about the above mantioned statement, " and write something to support opposite to your point of view. And then write why your point of view is better.

I send to some sample I have, maybe it will help u.

Hugs
Attachments
awa_sample_essay_issue.pdf
(12.83 KiB) Downloaded 234 times

Legendary Member

by mehravikas » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:45 am
Thanks Marika, I have gone through the sample awa and it is definitely helpful.

Vikas

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re: Analysis of issue - Please rate

by sanjaysmart » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:11 pm
mehravikas wrote:Analysis of issue

The best teachers are those whose classes include a large amount of discussion between teachers and students
Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

Response

Whether teachers who include a large amount of discussion in the classes are the best teachers depends on a variety of factors. In my view, discussion is a key ingredient in getting the best out of the students. Discussion between teachers and students not only helps to create a friendly environment but also helps students to gain more confidence.

The main reason for my view is, there are students of all levels in a large class starting from excellent to average to below average students. Discussion helps teachers to evaluate categorise students so that teachers can pay more attention to students who require more nurturing. For example, survey conducted by Economic Times (India) had 48% of parents who felt that their children feel disengaged in the class because the teachers are only concerned with finishing the coursework, almost all the respondents agreed that by having more discussion in class would help the teachers evaluate students in a better way. Also, average and below average students often shy from speaking about their problems or talking to other students in the class, discussion would help to eliminate this problem. Finally teachers who promote discussion in the class are in a way helping students to learn from each other.

Another reason for my view is, discussion in classes is a continuous process in building the confidence in students to communicate effectively in front of others, which is one of the most important factors to be successful. Specifically, everyone in life has to put his ideas in the most efficient manner. Some very important words were once said by Infosys chairman, Mr. Murthy, “today you have to be more reactive instead of being active, to be successful you have to sell your ideas in more quickly than others”. Admittedly, discussion is nothing but building confidence in oneself.

In sum, I agree that discussion helps students to be confident and creates a healthy and friendly environment within a class. However, it should be balanced so that everyone gets a chance to put across his ideas; on balance discussion if properly maintained can do wonders to child’s future.
Dear Vikas,
There are two problems with your essa and that's why I have scored it at only 4.0. The first problem is that your essay lacks addressal. You have not provided a clear response to the question "are the best teachers the ones whose classes include a lot of discussion?", but have based your discussion on how and why discussion is important.
Secondly, the introductory paragraph does not seem to have a thesis.
But, you are a good writer and the abilities inherent in you should be enough to ensure a good score in the AWA.

Legendary Member

Re: Analysis of issue - Please rate

by mehravikas » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:40 am
Thanks Sanjay, I'll take a note of it.
sanjaysmart wrote:
mehravikas wrote:Analysis of issue

Response

Dear Vikas,
There are two problems with your essa and that's why I have scored it at only 4.0. The first problem is that your essay lacks addressal. You have not provided a clear response to the question "are the best teachers the ones whose classes include a lot of discussion?", but have based your discussion on how and why discussion is important.
Secondly, the introductory paragraph does not seem to have a thesis.
But, you are a good writer and the abilities inherent in you should be enough to ensure a good score in the AWA.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please rate!!!!

by manyu09 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:10 am
Whether a teacher is good or bad at their work depends upon the amount of discussions held in the class between the teachers
and the students.I support the belief that the best teachers are those who conduct discussions between the students and themselves.

A teachers ability is measured by how interesting the classes are made for the students who attend.By holding large number of
discussions with the students the teacher can keep their students interested in the subject taught.When I entered
the 10th division of my school I was not all interested in History , the thought of spending 40 minutes listening to lecture on World War 2
would put me to sleep.But the teacher who taught the subject would always ask our opinion after she finished a chapter.This
kept me awake as I would involve myself in the arguments and discussions held in class.It is true if the teacher keeps
their pupils involved in what is being taught even the disinterested students can show enthusiasm to learn.

Another reason why the best teachers hold discussions while teaching is because by doing so they can assure themselves that what is
being taught is understood by the students.These discussion will show the teacher what exactly the students are learning from the class.A good teacher is one whose students do well in the class which is only possible if they understand what is being taught.Determining how much was learn t by the students can help the teacher modify his/her ways so that students gain a better understanding of the subject.

If a teacher only lectures a student without involving them then the whole experience of attending a class can be boring for the student.A good teacher is one who can keep the interest of the students in what is being taught.

Finally, holding discussions helps the students share their thoughts and opinions.In doing so the students can clarify their
doubts and at the same time assure themselves that they understand what is being taught.While many teachers employ other means
to keep students involved the best teachers are those that hold the maximum discussions with their students while teaching.
manyu