Choked on Quant on my 3rd attempt... should I try a 4th?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I just took the GMAT for the 3rd time today... Result? Frustration.

I'd like to get some opinions on whether or not I should take the GMAT for a fourth time. Based on what I've read in other threads, advice ranges from ill-advised to absolutely necessary. I'm applying to UVA (Darden), Carnegie Mellon (Tepper), Ohio State (Fisher), Penn State (Smeal), and Indiana (Kelley). More detail below, but scores are: 1) Cancelled ... 2) 620 38Q/37V... 3) 630 36Q/40V.

Background:

I took it for the first time this past summer. I was foolish enough to think that I'd put a few hours a week in for roughly 2 weeks and rely on my history of strong standardized test taking abilities. Suffice it to say, I cancelled that score.

Shortly thereafter, I began preparing more seriously. I purchased an online prep course and hunkered down. I took the GMAT again on December 4th and scored a 620 (38Q / 37V). Relative to my practice test scores, this was disappointing; so I got home and immediately rescheduled. I knew I had more in me. I really dug into quant, and felt as though I made progress. I was a bit dismissive about spending any time on certain subtopics prior to my 620 exam (in educational psychology they call this the "illusion of knowing something"), but I wasn't going to allow that to happen again. I was getting 46-48Q on Veritas Prep practice exams...

Test 3 (today) - I got a 630 (36Q / 40V). Somehow, after spending zero time on verbal and all of my time on quant, I improved my verbal score, and completely choked on quant. I'm feeling completely dejected. I also feel as though I could walk back into a test center tomorrow and get that 46 on Quant because I know the material and know the strategies. I took college level calculus/stats/finance.... My career isn't super math intensive, but I'm also not by any means incompetent. Some additional context is that I have some pretty ugly anxiety issues, and I certainly think that's factoring into my choke-job on test day (I've had to overcome it in a variety of other contexts though, so it's no excuse). Verbal comes pretty naturally to me so that's less of a concern. I also got a 6 on integrated reasoning as well as a perfect score on the AWA last time (and anticipate something similar this time around). I'm also a 31 year old white male, so time isn't on my side based on what FT program demographics look like.

Should I take the GMAT again? How soon (given that I'm applying now)? Will most schools take my new scores after I submit my application?

Thanks in advance!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:30 am
Might be a tad late, but here are a few thoughts for you wjm2020.

The current score would mean most of your target schools (some more than others) making a big exception and move away from their usual range. You haven't mentioned anything about the profile so can't comment on it but usually, it is a pretty uphill battle.

Schools also don't care about the # of attempts. So yes, a retake is definitely strongly recommended. If you have the time, and if not considered already, potentially with some coaching.

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:48 am
wjm2020 wrote:I just took the GMAT for the 3rd time today... Result? Frustration.

I'd like to get some opinions on whether or not I should take the GMAT for a fourth time. Based on what I've read in other threads, advice ranges from ill-advised to absolutely necessary. I'm applying to UVA (Darden), Carnegie Mellon (Tepper), Ohio State (Fisher), Penn State (Smeal), and Indiana (Kelley). More detail below, but scores are: 1) Cancelled ... 2) 620 38Q/37V... 3) 630 36Q/40V.

Background:

I took it for the first time this past summer. I was foolish enough to think that I'd put a few hours a week in for roughly 2 weeks and rely on my history of strong standardized test taking abilities. Suffice it to say, I cancelled that score.

Shortly thereafter, I began preparing more seriously. I purchased an online prep course and hunkered down. I took the GMAT again on December 4th and scored a 620 (38Q / 37V). Relative to my practice test scores, this was disappointing; so I got home and immediately rescheduled. I knew I had more in me. I really dug into quant, and felt as though I made progress. I was a bit dismissive about spending any time on certain subtopics prior to my 620 exam (in educational psychology they call this the "illusion of knowing something"), but I wasn't going to allow that to happen again. I was getting 46-48Q on Veritas Prep practice exams...

Test 3 (today) - I got a 630 (36Q / 40V). Somehow, after spending zero time on verbal and all of my time on quant, I improved my verbal score, and completely choked on quant. I'm feeling completely dejected. I also feel as though I could walk back into a test center tomorrow and get that 46 on Quant because I know the material and know the strategies. I took college level calculus/stats/finance.... My career isn't super math intensive, but I'm also not by any means incompetent. Some additional context is that I have some pretty ugly anxiety issues, and I certainly think that's factoring into my choke-job on test day (I've had to overcome it in a variety of other contexts though, so it's no excuse). Verbal comes pretty naturally to me so that's less of a concern. I also got a 6 on integrated reasoning as well as a perfect score on the AWA last time (and anticipate something similar this time around). I'm also a 31 year old white male, so time isn't on my side based on what FT program demographics look like.

Should I take the GMAT again? How soon (given that I'm applying now)? Will most schools take my new scores after I submit my application?

Thanks in advance!
First- I am sorry that the GMAT has been stressful for you. But if you recently took the test and are up for taking again- I think you have more in you that has not yet showed up on the test. And if you have active applications in process for R2- then you may still be able to have the improved score help you in this decision round as schools will not be making final R2 decisions in some case until March. If you end up wanting to start fresh in the following application season- we can help you with that. I have had great results with some clients who had scores lower than yours and they are going to their dream school for next year based on their strong overall application. For a free consult with us reach out at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/free-consult/

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by wjm2020 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:49 am
Thank you both for your advice!

I did end up taking the test again this past Saturday, and while my complete shift in focus to Quant resulted in a little slip in verbal, I was able to improve my overall score to 660 (43Q/37V). Hopefully that, along with 6 years of diverse experience with some upward mobility in both Manufacturing and Retail, and multiple perfect scores on the AWA will help pave the way for me to get into a great business school.

Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:59 pm
wjm2020 wrote:Thank you both for your advice!

I did end up taking the test again this past Saturday, and while my complete shift in focus to Quant resulted in a little slip in verbal, I was able to improve my overall score to 660 (43Q/37V). Hopefully that, along with 6 years of diverse experience with some upward mobility in both Manufacturing and Retail, and multiple perfect scores on the AWA will help pave the way for me to get into a great business school.

Sounds good - all the best buddy!
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com