The reason that tourists on safari are warned to keep a dist

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:1 members
The reason that tourists on safari are warned to keep a distance from elephants is because elephants are just as dangerous as predators are.

a. The reason that tourists on safari are warned to keep a distance from elephants is because elephants are just as dangerous as predators are
b. The reason that tourists on safari are warned to keep a distance from elephants is that elephants are just as dangerous than predators are
c. Tourists on safari are warned to keep a distance from elephants because elephants are just as dangerous as predators are
d. The reason that tourists on safari are warned to keep a distance from elephants is that elephants are just as dangerous as predators
e. The reason that tourists on safari are warned to keep a distance from elephants is that elephants are just as dangerous as other predators are

I'm confused with options C and D. Need experts explanation..

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by VJesus12 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:01 am
How can I know which statement is the correct?

D and E looks very similar and both are good to me. Experts, may you clarify this to me? Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members
GMAT Score:770

by ErikaPrepScholar » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:34 am
Hey all,

A. "The reason that ____ is because ____" is redundant - we either want "the reason that ____ is that ____" or "____ is because ____". Eliminate.
B. "as dangerous than" is an idiom error - we want "as dangerous as". Eliminate.
C. No issues here.
D. "elephants are just as dangerous as predators" compares "elephants are" to "predators". When we compare two things, they must be parallel (i.e. "elephants are just as dangerous as predators are". Here, we are comparing how dangerous elephants are to predators, NOT how dangerous elephants are to how dangerous predators are. Eliminate.
E. The word "other" changes the meaning of the sentence - "elephants are just as dangerous as other predators are" implies that elephants are predators, which they are not. Remember: we always want to match the meaning of the original sentence, which indicates that elephants are not predators. Eliminate.

Erika John - Content Manager/Lead Instructor
https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/

Get tutoring from me or another PrepScholar GMAT expert: https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/tutoring/

Learn about our exclusive savings for BTG members (up to 25% off) and our 5 day free trial

Check out our PrepScholar GMAT YouTube channel, and read our expert guides on the PrepScholar GMAT blog