Study Progress- 1 month away!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Study Progress- 1 month away!

by JeffHauptschein1 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:39 pm
Hello,

My GMAT test date is November 11. I can't wait to be done. I posted on here in mid-August when i began my GMAT studying from scratch. Since then, here were some of my milestones:

-First week of studying: Veritas free CAT practice test : 510 (29q 29v)
-Completed all of GMATPrepNow's video reviews for QUANT + supplemental practice problems
-Mid September: Official GMAT Prep software CAT 1 (from the official website after I registered for my exam): 570 (38q 29v)
-Began and completed all of GMATPrepNow's video reviews for VERBAL + supplemental practice problems- finished these just this past week. I am still doing continuous verbal supplemental practice problems.

I am planning to take another free practice CAT next weekend. (Which CAT should I take next- any suggestions?). Hoping to see my verbal score rise. My goal from the beginning was to score mid-600s and I think that if I can hold math where it was as of September and increase my verbal, I will meet my goal. My plan is to apply to B-School in two years and I am going for reputable part-time/online programs.

My questions to the community is: What will be the MOST EFFICIENT use of my time between now and my test date? I am kicking off my first project for my new consulting job so I will be traveling starting this week until the test day. I am still planning on getting an hour or two of study in per night on the road, and hopefully more time on the weekends until Nov. 11.

Thank You!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:17 pm
I would not recommend that you keep taking free tests from different companies. It's worth it to purchase a pack of test from a single company so that you will have access to assessment reports that aggregate your data (much harder to do on your own, compiling various tests manually). This is not a plug to purchase tests from my own company - any top test prep company will allow you to run metrics on all of the tests that you take on their site.

So here's what to do in the next month:

- take a practice exam every week (accurately timed) and review in a lot of depth. If you haven't already been doing so, use a Review Log / Error Log to track your mistakes & look for patterns. More here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -studying/

- do practice problems from the Official Guide topic-by-topic, starting with your areas of weakness. If you use Mprep's Navigator tool, you can find OG problems listed by topic. Otherwise I'm sure you can find lists posted online.

- alternate between quant and verbal. You have plenty of ground to gain in both.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education