Please help, profile evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please help, profile evaluation

by Enrique10 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:01 pm
Good day,

I'm really interested in applying to HBS's 2+2 Program and Stanford's and Yale's deferred admission MBA Program and I would really appreciate a quick evaluation from you on my chances of admission.

-22 years old Mexican male, currently on my senior year.
-Studying Civil Engineering in Mexico's #1 school on this particular subject.
-Member of my University's Honors Program, currently doing research on Climate Change consequences for communities near the rivers at the northern part of Mexico.
-Worked a summer internship at a local construction site where I suppervised a little team of 4 workers.
-Currently teaching math courses at poor Primary Schools in my state.
-Proposed to create CETYS's (the best private High School and University in Mexico's north-western side) first men's volleyball program, enabling approximately 30 volleyball players in all of Baja California (a mexican state) to apply for a scholarship regardless of their social status.
-4.0 GPA
-750 GMAT.

Extracurricular:
-Been a high performance volleyball athlete for the last 7 years.
-5 consecutive Junior National Championships (annual competition).
-3 consecutive High School National Championships (annual competition and first national title in my High School's sport's program.
-3 consecutive University National Championships (annual competition and first national title in my University's volleyball program).
-2 consecutive recognitions as the best Student-Athlete in my University.
-5 Junior Championship titles achieved in the western part of the US (where all of US's western coast states participated with their clubs).
-2nd place at the U19 (under 19 years old) Panamerican World Championship Qualifier Tournament.
-2nd place at the U23 (under 23 years old) Panamerican World Championship Qualifier Tournament.
-13th place at the Boy's U19 World Championship.
-16th place at the Men's U21 World Championship.
-Recognized as the 10th best player in the World by stats at the U19 World Championship.
-Recognized as the best volleyball player in my state.

Former team captain at:
-Middle School.
-High School.
-University (active).
-Mexican National Team.

Post MBA short-term Goal would be to start my own construction firm in Mexico and actively participate to diminish Mexico's corruption rate in this sector, also I think its very important to start constructing safe infraestructure in Mexico as these irregularities have been recently exposed by the recent earthquake. I would like my firm to be the first in my country to do construction clean and safe.
Long-term goal would be to become involved in the government.

Any advise on what I should be doing to improve my admission's chances would be kindly welcomed!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:47 am
Enrique10 wrote:Good day,

I'm really interested in applying to HBS's 2+2 Program and Stanford's and Yale's deferred admission MBA Program and I would really appreciate a quick evaluation from you on my chances of admission.

-Member of my University's Honors Program, currently doing research on Climate Change consequences for communities near the rivers at the northern part of Mexico.
-Worked a summer internship at a local construction site where I suppervised a little team of 4 workers.
-Proposed to create CETYS's (the best private High School and University in Mexico's north-western side) first men's volleyball program, enabling approximately 30 volleyball players in all of Baja California (a mexican state) to apply for a scholarship regardless of their social status.
-4.0 GPA
-750 GMAT.

Extracurricular:
-3 consecutive High School National Championships (annual competition and first national title in my High School's sport's program.
-3 consecutive University National Championships (annual competition and first national title in my University's volleyball program).
-5 Junior Championship titles achieved in the western part of the US (where all of US's western coast states participated with their clubs).
-2nd place at the U19 (under 19 years old) Panamerican World Championship Qualifier Tournament.
-2nd place at the U23 (under 23 years old) Panamerican World Championship Qualifier Tournament.
-Recognized as the 10th best player in the World by stats at the U19 World Championship.

Former team captain at:
-Middle School.
-High School.
-University (active).
-Mexican National Team.

Post MBA short-term Goal would be to start my own construction firm in Mexico and actively participate to diminish Mexico's corruption rate in this sector, also I think its very important to start constructing safe infraestructure in Mexico as these irregularities have been recently exposed by the recent earthquake. I would like my firm to be the first in my country to do construction clean and safe.

Any advise on what I should be doing to improve my admission's chances would be kindly welcomed!
Hey dude!
Great to hear from you!
Well, you definitely have a very interesting profile! And very laudable goals. If you can get corruption out of the Mexican construction market, you will have done something amazing :)

sooo HBS 2+2... It's tough. And so are the Stanford and Yale equivlent programs. Very tough. And also a bit hard to predict who would get in.

But so far, so good. Meaning you're in a great school (check) with great grades (check) with good internships (check) and volunteer work (check) plus the bonus of some sports and solid ECs.

What's missing? the 740 on the GMAT. Get that, and apply with the best application you can make. Also if you can get a placement for next summer, it would be helpful.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to write.
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

Answer

by Enrique10 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:52 am
Jon@Admissionado wrote:
Enrique10 wrote:Good day,

-4.0 GPA
-750 GMAT.

Extracurricular:

Former team captain at:
-Middle School.
-High School.
-University (active).
-Mexican National Team.

Hey dude!
Great to hear from you!
Well, you definitely have a very interesting profile! And very laudable goals. If you can get corruption out of the Mexican construction market, you will have done something amazing :)

sooo HBS 2+2... It's tough. And so are the Stanford and Yale equivlent programs. Very tough. And also a bit hard to predict who would get in.

But so far, so good. Meaning you're in a great school (check) with great grades (check) with good internships (check) and volunteer work (check) plus the bonus of some sports and solid ECs.

What's missing? the 740 on the GMAT. Get that, and apply with the best application you can make. Also if you can get a placement for next summer, it would be helpful.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to write.

Hello Jon, I appreciate your time and your answer. Maybe you missed that I stated my GMAT score in this post, its actually 750.

Anyways, I've just received a (pretty harsh) critic on my short term and long term goals on another site so now I'm doubting if this would be an ideal way to present myself or if I just need to replace this with some "realistic" goals.
About the work placement, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for your answer.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:17 pm
Hey dude,
Indded I missed that. Well, shoot, nice GMAT! :)

I totally agree reagrding your goals. First of all think:
1. ambitious
2. corporate
3. conservative
4. that will get you to your long-term goals.

I definitely think the involvement in government goal could be a good starting point, but you will have to get much more explicit "like CEO of Ministry of Transport" or whatever it is you want to do. Obviously, since govt jobs aren't just merit-based if you can show you have the political connections already, this will help bolster your goals.

And then from your LT goals you gotta work your way backwards. Meaning people in that position or similar, where are they coming from? Other government' positions? Industry leadership positions? Consulting firms? And then you should set your ST goals based on that. The goals should be explicit, specific and aim high. And should look something like "After graduation I will join Company X where I interned but in Position Y, which will lay the foundation for me to move to LT Goals". Be specific about the place, the industry and your connections/experience in it.

Hope this helps!
Best,
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

by Enrique10 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:45 am
I've taken my notes John, thank you very much!

Right now I'm thinking about who my recommenders should be and my plan was to get my former national team coach and a professor I'm currently working with in an investigation program.

Do you think that's a good idea? To apply to this programs with an extracurricular recommendation and an academic one?

Best regards!