No improvement in quantitative

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

No improvement in quantitative

by yasirnasir » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:25 pm
Hello Guys,

Before preparing for GMAT, I had taken the GRE and scored 153 in quant section. I took GRE in May 2017. I am preparing for GMAT since then and trying to improve my quant score. But, I have seen no improvement at all. My quant score is stuck at v36 with no improvement. This plateau is really taking me down and killing my motivation. The mistakes which I make are two mainly:

1. My first language is not English and I have some difficulty in understanding the wordy part of the questions. Honestly, misunderstanding leads to errors and mistakes.

2. I become too hasty in reading the whole question. Before reading the whole question, I try to solve it and results in something else what is required. The major factor that is causing this mistake is my patience and temperament. I get too nervous and concerned about remaining time resulting in this error.

I request serious expert advice concerning these two issues to improve my quant score.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:57 am
Hi yasirnasir,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What type of study plan have you been following (how many hours do you study each week?)?
2) What GMAT study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by yasirnasir » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:50 am
Thank you for responding to my message. Here are the answers to your questions

Studies:
1) What type of study plan have you been following (how many hours do you study each week?)?

I am following the 60 day GMAT study plan by Beat the GMAT by following the Manhattan Guides path. Also, being a busy professional, I have dedicated 14 hours weekly to study because I had to make different amendments to this 60 day plan.

2) What GMAT study materials have you used so far?
I have used official guides for practice and Manhattan guides for concept building

3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
I took three one CAT and scored around Q36 on Quant and V28 on verbal

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
My Goal Score is 680-700

5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

April 2018

6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

I will be applying to business schools in August 2018

7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

I am still in the process of shortlisting the schools

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:00 pm
Beyond these basics...where are you from and how advanced is your English: it appears to be quite good.

Have you worked with someone on the English part of the Quant section? If so, how? And how about the Verbal section, in general: how are you faring on that?

You might be best served by working with someone who understands BOTH quant and verbal because they can help you move through the questions more easily.

There are a finite number of things that the quant section expects you to know...and once you know them you can apply them again and again.
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:05 pm
Hi yasirnasir,

About 2 months ago, you stated that you had taken a practice CAT and scored 550. From this recent post, it's not clear whether you've taken 3 CATs or just that 1 CAT. If you've taken any additional practice CATs since then, then how did you score on each? If you have not taken any additional CATs, then I highly recommend that you take one soon (perhaps this weekend) - and report back when you have your score results.

Rich

by yasirnasir » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:43 pm
Bara wrote:Beyond these basics...where are you from and how advanced is your English: it appears to be quite good.

Have you worked with someone on the English part of the Quant section? If so, how? And how about the Verbal section, in general: how are you faring on that?

You might be best served by working with someone who understands BOTH quant and verbal because they can help you move through the questions more easily.

There are a finite number of things that the quant section expects you to know...and once you know them you can apply them again and again.
Well, I am from Pakistan and my English Language capability is just at basic level. Verbal section seems fine but I do not know why I get stumped on word problems and especially their narrations.

by yasirnasir » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:46 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi yasirnasir,

About 2 months ago, you stated that you had taken a practice CAT and scored 550. From this recent post, it's not clear whether you've taken 3 CATs or just that 1 CAT. If you've taken any additional practice CATs since then, then how did you score on each? If you have not taken any additional CATs, then I highly recommend that you take one soon (perhaps this weekend) - and report back when you have your score results.

Rich
Hi, I have taken two more CATs since then. In the first cat, my score was 550. In second Cat, my score was 540. In the third CAT, my score was 570. My 540 score was when I retook the GMAT PREP 1 official exam again. My score reduced to ten points instead of increasing while my individual score falling to Q34 from Q36. Contrary to this, I scored 580 in the GMAT PREP II. I have been following the sixty days plan and just completed the Math Days only because my speed remained slow due to work commitments

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:58 am
Hi yasirnasir,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 3 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 560 +/- a few points). Since these scores are fairly consistent after a couple of months of study, it's possible that you've gotten 'stuck' at this score level. Before you take another CAT, I suggest that you work through 2-3 weeks of Verbal practice. After you receive that next score, you should post back here and we can discuss the results (and how you might adjust your studies going forward).

Rich