Recommendation suggestion

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Recommendation suggestion

by jayofbay » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:15 pm
Hi Stacy,
First of all i would like to thank you in advance for providing such invaluable advice to us. I truly appreciate the fact that you evaluate each question so thoroughly and answer all of them.

I posted my question earlier to my intended school and did not get a proper reply so i am resorting to you for an answer. The reason I want your advice is because non-profit ties into my long term goal and my work at this non-profit also emphasizes my leadership and management consulting experience.

Do you think it would be advisable to get one recommendation from my current supervisor and one from the founder of the non-profit who I work very closely with.

Thanks in advance,
Amitava

My question:
----------------
Hi,
I have decided to apply in the MBA program for Fall 2007.
Although I work for a startup, I am also deeply involved in non-profit activities.
Would it be advisable for me to get a recommendation from my non-profit supervisor, even though I am not an employer at this organization.
Your advise in this matter will be deeply appreciated.

Reply from School
-------------------------
Subject: Recommendations

Give careful thought to selecting who will furnish the two letters of recommendation we require. We strongly prefer that both letters come from a current or former employer. Select individuals with whom you have had considerable professional interaction, preferably a supervisor. The title or status of those you select is not important. What does matter is how closely your letter writers have worked with you and whether they can attest to your value as an employee, your professional accomplishments, and your personal qualities and interpersonal skills in an organizational context. For this reason, we discourage academic references. Letters of recommendation from co-workers, someone you have supervised, or personal and family friends are inappropriate and can be detrimental to the review of your application.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:12 am
Amitava,
Both of your letters should be from supervisors at current or prior companies. They should offer different perspectives of you and different examples of your abilities and accomplishments. I then suggest you submit a third, less formal letter from your non-profit supervisor. You can state that you are submitting it because it ties to your goals, offers a different perspective and because it is such an important part of your life now. Although you can make the non-profit letter one of your two formal letters, this could backfire as the non-profit superviser may not be taken as seriously. This is a bit of a gray area and I think the approach I outlined above is the safest. Good luck!
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me