Tobacco Advertising

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Tobacco Advertising

by greenwich » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:36 pm
Many people argue that tobacco advertising plays a crucial role in causing teenagers to start or continue smoking. In Norway, however, where there has been a ban on tobacco advertising since 1975, smoking is at least as prevalent among teen-agers as it is in countries that do not ban such advertising.
Which of the following statements draws the most reliable conclusion from the information above?

A. Tobacco advertising cannot be the only factor that affects the prevalence of smoking among teenagers.
B. Advertising does not play a role in causing teenagers to start or continue smoking.
C. Banning tobacco advertising does not reduce the consumption of tobacco.
D. More teenagers smoke if they are not exposed to tobacco advertising than if they are.
E. Most teenagers who smoked in 1975 did not stop when the ban on tobacco advertising was implemented.

OA - A

Why C is wrong?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:21 members

by David@GMATPrepNow » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:46 am
Hi greenwich,

The question asks for the statement that is the most reliable conclusion from the information. On the GMAT there is only ONE correct answer to each question, but that does not mean there are no "kind of right" answers. In essence, we are asked to compare each of the answers to find the best one.

Answer C is one of the "kind of right" answers. It seems obviously true that banning tobacco ads does not reduce the consumption of tobacco, because we are told that tobacco ads are banned in Norway but smoking is still prevalent. What we are not told in the passage is WHY smoking is still prevalent. What I mean is that we have not been given any information that might suggest alternative reasons for why teenagers still smoke.

Answer A raises the point that there must be other reasons for why teenagers still smoke.

Answers D and E are ridiculous and easily eliminated. Answer B contradicts information presented in the passage, so can also be eliminated. It really comes down to comparing C and A to find the BEST answer. As noted above, the best answer is C because it is the most reliable conclusion that can be drawn from the passage.

I hope this helps.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:25 am
greenwich wrote:
Why C is wrong?
The correct answer choice MUST BE TRUE.
Beware CHANGES IN SCOPE.
The passage offers information about tobacco advertising IN NORWAY.
Answer choice C draws a conclusion about tobacco advertising IN GENERAL.
It does not have to be true that banning tobacco advertising IN GENERAL has no effect simply because the ban IN NORWAY has no effect.
Eliminate C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:1 members

by BTGmoderatorAT » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:16 am
As Far As I know, teens/kids are indeed impressionable followers, but not leaders.If the Ads tell them that tobacco smoking is wonderful,then that's what they will think.