00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Political theorist: Even with the best spies, area experts, and satellite surveillance, foreign policy assessments can still lack important information. In such circumstances intuitive judgment is vital. A national leader with such judgment can make good decisions about foreign policy even when current information is incomplete, since __________.

Which of the following, if true, most logically completes the argument?

(A) the central reason for failure in foreign policy decision making is the absence of critical information
(B) those leaders whose foreign policy decisions have been highly ranked have also been found to have good intuitive judgment
(C) both intuitive judgment and good information are required for sound decision making
(D) good foreign policy decisions often lead to improved methods of gathering information
(E) intuitive judgment can produce good decisions based on past experience, even when there are important gaps in current information

OA: E

Can some experts please suggest why we choose E over B?

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:25 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

lionsshare wrote:Political theorist: Even with the best spies, area experts, and satellite surveillance, foreign policy assessments can still lack important information. In such circumstances intuitive judgment is vital. A national leader with such judgment can make good decisions about foreign policy even when current information is incomplete, since __________.

(A) the central reason for failure in foreign policy decision making is the absence of critical information
(B) those leaders whose foreign policy decisions have been highly ranked have also been found to have good intuitive judgment
(C) both intuitive judgment and good information are required for sound decision making
(D) good foreign policy decisions often lead to improved methods of gathering information
(E) intuitive judgment can produce good decisions based on past experience, even when there are important gaps in current information

This argument isn't about making foreign-policy decisions in general, but rather, making good foreign policy decisions in the absence of critical information. E demonstrates why a national leader with good intuition might make good decisions without vital intelligence, whereas B does nothing to address this critical intelligence gap.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:30 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

lionsshare wrote:Political theorist: Even with the best spies, area experts, and satellite surveillance, foreign policy assessments can still lack important information. In such circumstances intuitive judgment is vital. A national leader with such judgment can make good decisions about foreign policy even when current information is incomplete, since __________.

Dear Mitch,

If I negate the answer choice, could the conclusion invalidate? is it sort of assumption or MUST be true question?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:19 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Mo2men wrote:is it sort of assumption or MUST be true question?
Since the correct answer must SUPPORT the conclusion that a national leader with such [intuitive] judgment can make good decisions, the argument above seems best classified as a STRENGTHEN CR.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3